PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vs. SAECO mold handles

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2015, 10:29 PM
I have an assortment of molds and handles. My RCBS mold blocks have a 0.300" slot in the block that accepts the handles and the RCBS handles are about 0.295" wide, so about .005" clearance; no problem there.

The SAECO mold blocks have slots that are .315" and the SAECO handles are .307" - They work great with SAECO mold blocks but the SAECO handle will not fit the RCBS blocks.

I'd like to be able to use the SAECO handles on the RCBS mold blocks and I'm thinking about removing a little metal from the SAECO handles so they will fit the RCBS blocks. Before I remove that .012" of material I'd like to know if I'm making a mistake.

Anyone done that before?

minmax
12-27-2015, 03:12 AM
I have both, but I've never measured them. As the RCBS are on RCBS molds. Saeco's are on Saeco molds.
I have filed down Lee handles To fit RCBS molds. At $15 that's a no brainer. RCBS and Saeco are about $35.
NOE handles are $35 also. I have yet to order a pair. Anybody have the thickness to them?
I would not have a problem filing down the handles. Unless some day you want to sell them, .012 really is not that much.

shoot-n-lead
12-27-2015, 03:28 AM
I have ground them down to fit...did them no harm and you can't really tell it after a couple of times of use.

GabbyM
12-27-2015, 03:31 AM
Just use the correct handle for the mold.

Your simple measurements do not even include the geometry of the handle.
You are not even close to being inside the curve there. Do not waste your time.

shoot-n-lead
12-27-2015, 05:24 AM
Just use the correct handle for the mold.

Your simple measurements do not even include the geometry of the handle.
You are not even close to being inside the curve there. Do not waste your time.

It is no problem...and they work fine.

Gee Whiz

Petrol & Powder
12-27-2015, 10:23 AM
It seems like a simple way to get a little more versatility.

Petrol & Powder
12-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Fait Accompli