PDA

View Full Version : six cavity lee mold questions

yammerschooner
10-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I have a lee 6 cavity .38 mold that I just cast about a gallon jug full of bullets. The aluminum on the face of the mold closest to the handles has begun to wear off. I have lubed the joint VERY regularly, to the point where more than half of the time my mold is smoking at the pins. However, now the faces will let a little lead in between the bullets every now and again, almost as if I have something on the face of the mold. It doesn't happen all of the time.

Upon further inspection I found that the pin closest to the handle seems to be recessed more than the one on the end where the sprue plate is attached. I am wondering if this is my problem. The pin on the sprue plate is pushed all of the way out so that the pins "shoulders" (for lack of a better descriptive term) are even with the face of the mold block. However, the pin on the handle end is recessed so that the shoulders sit a little more than 1/16 inch below the face of the mold.

Someone who has a lee 6 cavity mold that consistently works, IS THE PIN SUPPOSED TO BE RECESSED MORE THAN THE ONE ON THE SPRUE PLATE END? Do yours stick out the same amount.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

yammerschooner
10-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I figured out my problem. My bulky welding gloves were making it easier to hold onto the mold by a combination of both the mold handles and the sprue plate handle. When the sprue plate handle is gripped along with the two mold handles it will push against the block opposite the sprue plate handle. This will hold the mold slightly open, allowing a tiny amount of lead to seep between the two blocks. I must have been holding onto it differently when I began casting, and changed my grip as the session progressed. I had the same problem today when I went out to see if limp grip was the problem, and found that holding onto the sprue plate handle can mess things up.

Bret4207
10-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Glad you figured it out. I have to admit being a poster child for the "Don't do this!" saftey placards. No glasses, no gloves, cast in shorts, etc. The glasses I'm gonna rectify by getting some so I can SEE STUFF. The gloves I just don't use and probably never will. I'm about immune to small burns from years in a body shop back in the days of brazing and farm welding. But that means I can feel what I'm doing. Since I'm a dipper man I can't be fumbling around too much anyway. Just my style. Signed- Burned and Blistered Bret

yammerschooner
10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I almost have to wear welding gloves. Once I get into a rhythm I will sometimes find myself inadvertantly grabbing onto the metal part of the mold. I am really bad with the two cavity molds in that half of the time I am just pushing aside the sprue plate with my gloves.

Luckily, I haven't burned myself yet. I am afraid that if I take off the gloves I will have a moment where I am not paying attention and brand myself. I imagine I would only do it once, but one brand is one brand too many.

imashooter2
10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I wear the lighter leather palm, canvas gauntlet work gloves. Cut the sprues on single and dual cavity molds with a twist of the plate, just like you. No problem with burns. If you pick up hot sprues or hold the metal of the mold the heat will eventually get through the gloves and remind you to put it down, but there will be no brand or blister (unless you choose to hold the hot stuff till it does).

Blackwater
10-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Well, I gotta' admit, I wore a triangular brown spot for quite a while because I reached over to get something and let my left forearm rest on a hot mould I'd just finished using. Didn't take long to realize my mistake, and that triangular reminder on that forearm sure helps a fella' remember .... MOST of the time at least! I can't read any more without glasses, so the only problem there is keeping sweat off them. Haven't found a solution to that yet, and here in GA, it's HOT when you cast in the summertime! REAL hot! Looked down at my feet last session, and there was a puddle of water - literally a puddle. I looked around to see where it was coming from, concerned that it might get in the pot and make me dance without even having any music, and suddenly realized it was SWEAT!

A man's GOT to love his cast bullets to cast in SE Georgia in the summer!

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 05:47 AM
.............Blackwater, I wear glasses and sweating on the lenses is somehitng I just can't stand. About the only thing I can think to do is wear a sweatband. For a long time I'd use rags out of the shop ragbag However i discovered that cutting the sleeves off old T shirts worked real well. I jst cut them off and kind of roll'em up and jam'em down on my head :D

They're a might tight at first but get better. After they get kinda stiff I just rinse'm off in the sink and hang them to dry. Mowing the lawn (yeah I still do that myself) and after awhile it'd be like looking through an aquarium and you can't see squat, so I keep the headbands handy.

...............Buckshot

carpetman
10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Buckshot uses the sleeves off his tee shirts for a sweat band most of the time. During the rare week that he wins the burrito shoot,he has to use the waist portion to fit his head.

MARCORVET
10-17-2005, 11:28 AM
I have had the same problem with my lee six cavity 38 mold. I finally figured out the same thing that you did. I pressed the guide pin back in until the shoulder was just below flush. No more finning.

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry, but when I picture Buckshot in a headband I immediately get this picture in my mind of Olivia Newton-John doing that "Physical" video clip in the early 80's. Spandex, leg warmers, sports bra, gorgeous. Then my sick,twisted mind flips back to Buckshot and the spandex, leg warmers, sports bra and headband stay, but Olivia disappears. I may never listen to to oldies station again-

wills
10-18-2005, 08:43 AM
But can she run a lathe?

http://home.flash.net/~jingram/images/78fanclub.jpg

waksupi
10-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Geez, Al, did you have to put THAT picture in my mind, the first thing in the morning?

9.3X62AL
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Olivia Newton-John.......Buckshot.......NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Waksupi- I take full credit for your mental image. It's the same one I have.

Wills- WHO CARES if she can run a lathe?

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.onlyolivia.com/pix/80s/81_physical_88.jpg

This is what I had in mind. You'll see Buckshot off the godess's left shoulder on the bike.

yammerschooner
10-18-2005, 11:57 AM
You guys are freaking me out. You do realize that I only registered a couple of days ago, don't you?

I thought you were supposed to take a little bit more "get to know you time" before invoking images of sweaty men with nasty old tee shirts wrapped around their head, into the new guy's casting question thread.

Coupling it with ONJ in spandex just makes it more like a train wreck. You don't really want to see, but you just can't look away...

Take care.

grumble
10-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Bret- "Wills- WHO CARES if she can run a lathe?"

Is that 'lathe' or 'lather?"

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Yammerschooner- It's only STARTING, it'll get worse. Welcome BTW.

Grumble- If I think of her I flash back to 1980 in a nano second and I'm in a lather!

I could go back further into the deep recesses of my adolescent mind and durge up vision of Linda Rondstat in the cub scout uniform. Hubba-hubba!

waksupi
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Brett, almost as bad as the image of a certain unnamed individual rolling around nekkid in piles of brass!

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 04:31 PM
AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT START WITH THE "A naked Bret rolling around in a sea of brass..." THING AGAIN!!!!!!! Poor yammerschooners freaked out enough as is.

FWIW- I tried to find a pics of Linda (pre-cellulite) in the cub scout uniform to no avail. I did find a bunch of sites I'd rather not ever see again which required me clearing my history file and off line content file so no one in my family ever knows I accidentaly went there. Apparently theres a lot of sickos out there with fixations on celebrities. Thank goodness I didn't stumble onto anything involing these sickos and actual cub scouts. Sheeze! I ain't a looking any more.

waksupi
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Well, _I_ never named any names...
Maybe we could get you and Buckshot a couple poles, and set you up in Vegas.

kenjuudo
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
And I always believed lead fumes where harmless.

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Oh yeah. Homer Simpson and Wilford Brimley doing a pole dance! We'd rake in bucks and be able to buy all the lathes and H+G moulds we wanted.

waksupi
10-18-2005, 11:13 PM
That does it. I'm thoroughly tramatized. I'm calling my therapist, as soon as I can find one. Maybe Carpetman will do the trick. Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Buckshot
10-19-2005, 12:45 AM
...........You guys have no VISION! Me an Tpr Brett would make a phantasmagorific tag team. We're a swell couple a looking dudes. Well, pretty good for our age, anyway.

http://www.fototime.com/E3E7C396D4F6B40/standard.jpg
Pretty sleek looking in a round kinda way.

Ole yammerschooner handled having his thread hijacked all to heck pretty well. Guess he'll be a player :D

...............Buckshot

waksupi
10-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Svelt. The word is svelt.

What was the topic, anywho? Oh, I remember! It was a self answered question! The best kind!

How do you like us so far?

Bret4207
10-19-2005, 06:47 AM
SWMBO refers to me as "mesomorphic". I ain't really sure if that's good or not, but it's better than pudgy.

wills
10-19-2005, 08:01 AM
History has honored those of possessed of imposing physique,

http://www.norman-world.com/angleterre/histoires/2/images/vikingx.jpg

Whereas others have been transitory;
http://www.onlyolivia.com/pix/70s/60s_onj_90.jpg

And then,
http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/acm1.jpg
http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/stone3.jpg

yammerschooner
10-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Svelt. The word is svelt.

What was the topic, anywho? Oh, I remember! It was a self answered question! The best kind!

How do you like us so far?

This has been some of the cheapest entertainment I have had in a long time.

I always liked the term "portly." When I looked up the term mesomorphic it said something about muscle mass, which I am not sure is where my mass is at. Portly seems like such a happy term.

wills
10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Portly is good, portly is a suit size.

Definitions of endomorphic on the Web:

(en·do·morph·ic) (en²do-mor¢fik) pertaining to or characteristic of an endomorph.
www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_dorlands.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcommon zSzdorlandszSzdorlandzSzdmd_e_08zPzhtm

having a squat and fleshy build; "a pyknic practical joke"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Endomorphic is a body type that easily gets obese, according to the classification originally created by William Sheldon. See somatotype and body type (exercise).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endomorphic

wills
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT START WITH THE "A naked Bret rolling around in a sea of brass..." THING AGAIN!!!!!!! Poor yammerschooners freaked out enough as is.

FWIW- I tried to find a pics of Linda (pre-cellulite) in the cub scout uniform to no avail. I did find a bunch of sites I'd rather not ever see again which required me clearing my history file and off line content file so no one in my family ever knows I accidentaly went there. Apparently theres a lot of sickos out there with fixations on celebrities. Thank goodness I didn't stumble onto anything involing these sickos and actual cub scouts. Sheeze! I ain't a looking any more.

OK How's this

http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/rw2.jpg

versifier
10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Tpr. Bret, choosing (wisely I believe) to sidestep this whole Olivia Neutron Bomb thing, I wanted to comment about your reply #3 to this thread about safety glasses. I had one of those experiences last week that really made me a believer. Having finally worked my way up to bicyclefocals a few (ha!) years ago, I pretty much need to wear glasses all the time. A friend got me a bucket of lino from an old print shop, and I was turning it into clean ingots. As I was adding some large letters (about a cubic inch) to the pot, something surprising happened. There was evidently a void in one of them that in the course of years of presumably backyard storage became filled with water. It all LOOKED dry. It exploded like someone dropped a cherry bomb into the pot! (Now I think of Cosby: "Alright, who put the bullet in the furnace? You know your mother's got to be pretty low down for you to put a bullet in the furnace.") I had on an old chamois shirt, jeans, apron, boots, no gloves, a hat, and my glasses. Everything within about five feet of the pot was decorated with shiny little spots of metal, especially me. A particularly large molten glop landed on my trigger finger, and as I was assessing that damage, I noticed I wasn't seeing it too clearly. Removing my glasses, I found, centered on the left lens, a splash about 3/4" in diameter. My finger turned out to have a second degree burn, no big deal, but I shudder to think what would have happened to my eye had I not been wearing glasses. I decided it was a cheap lesson: skin heals, and one or two more scars on my hide are only going to be lost in the general confusion of those already present. Sweating or not, those glasses are going to stay on my nose. I may even upgrade to the face shield I use when running the wood lathe. Sweat bands, windshield wipers, diver's nofog spray, whatever it takes. Maybe even one or two strategically place small fans to keep the air moving.... Anyway, here's to still being able to wink at the ladies.

yammerschooner
10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
It is hearing other people's stories like this that keep me semi-safe. Thanks for sharing. Consistently wearing glasses just became much more important on my end.

David R
10-24-2005, 06:25 PM
:) I was blessed with poor vision :) Glasses are manditory. Works great for me.