PDA

View Full Version : I inherited two Colt handguns from an old buddy

Down South
12-24-2015, 12:02 PM
An old buddy of mine passed a few weeks ago. He left me two Colts. The first is a single action Frontier Scout in 22LR. It is the duo tone born in 1958. The little revolver is over all in good shape. There is some minor pitting on the cylinder where someone let rust get to it once in its past. It shows minor holster wear at the end of the barrel.

The second, his widow brought it to me partially field stripped in a cloth bag. I remember talking to him on the phone a couple months ago trying to help him get it but back together but I finally gave up and told him that I needed to put my eyes on the pistol.
It is a Colt Combat Commander 1911 born in 1972. It has the stainless slide and alloy frame.
It came with a nice tooled OWB holster with spare mag carrier sewn to the holster. The holster is in great shape although I can't find it on the net. The holster is a Bucheimer. It has Ranger stamped on it and what I take as the part or model number, 78AL-75W

I saw the problem that my buddy was having trying to reassembly after looking at the pistol. The barrel bushing was very tight and he couldn't figure out how to get it out. The bushing had plier marks on it. I removed the bushing and barrel, gave the gun a good cleaning then reassembled it.
I ran a couple of mags through it checking it out.
I ordered a new barrel bushing and a new recoil spring. The pistol is in excellent condition except for the marred barrel bushing which I will soon replace.

retread
12-24-2015, 12:32 PM
A good friend who left you two nice guns and fond memories. Hard to beat.

MrWolf
12-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Aye agreed. A good friend, sorry for your loss but he left you something to remember him.

Artful
12-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Sorry for your losing a buddy - it's nice he remembered you.

MtGun44
12-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Merry Christmas from your friend. That Ltwt Commander is a great carry gun, powerful, flat, good ergonmics.

WILCO
12-24-2015, 09:27 PM
A good friend who left you two nice guns and fond memories. Hard to beat.

Indeed! Thanks for sharing the story.