PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Ww

04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
has any one melted zinc ww in with there reg. ww lead? i know itis is bad and you need over 800 de. i am trying to track doen a problum i dad last week. if you have melted zonc, were you able to flux and have a smothed, gloss surfice to your lead in the pot? i made a batch that would not flux. i just keep having a foamie look to the top. you could scoop it off and it was right back. should you always be able to flux and have a good shiney surfice?

Cherokee
04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I believe you should be able to flux and get to a shiney surface. Keep fluxing and scooping the crud off the top.

oldfartz
04-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I made the mistake of turning the propane flame up and walked away, only to return to what you described as foamy. I fluxed to no avail. Gave up on it, poured into ingots. Now I`m a lot more careful. I visually inspect before I smelt and watch over it with a lesser flame. As for the contaminated ingots, adding one to a clean batch of 25 lb ww to dilute it has worked for me.

04-21-2008, 08:18 AM
if you remelt at loe temp will zink seperate from the other lead? i did find one of my pots was running up to 800 . i have been trying to stay under 700 and it looks good. thanks

AllanD
04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Failing everything else turn the heat OFF under a full pot and leave it undisturbed to cool for a while.... the Zinc will solidify first and float to the top.

Remember that applying heat to a pot of molten metal does create a certain
ammount of convection within the molten metal.

The Zinc will float if left undisturbed led and zinc mix as well as oil and water

Zinc is actually used in the lead refining process of lead to seperate
Copper, Silver and Gold, which are often found in unrefined lead.

AD