PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Cavity, Heavy Mold Techniques?

bjordan
12-22-2015, 03:30 PM
I have several Lyman 4 cavity and H&G 6 cavity molds. They cast great, but they wear my wrist out after only a few minutes. I support them under my ancient Lyman bottom pour pot with a block of wood, but just hefting them to wack the spruce cutter and then supporting the mold while I get the bullets to drop is killing me. Is there some magical technique that other use so they are not worn out after 15 minutes with these behemoths? I can't even imagine and H&G 8 or 10 cavity mold!

Thanks for the feedback!

Ola
12-22-2015, 03:37 PM
The clove -technique has made casting easier for me. 4 cav Lymans are tolerable. No need to support the mold during sprue cutting.. Buy a pair of welders cloves and give it a try.

kbstenberg
12-22-2015, 03:56 PM
A trick i use is after I pour into the mold i kind of balance the mold on a 2" dowel. Pivoting the mold so a gloved hand can break the sprue. Pivot the mold a little further to dump the sprue puddle. Turn the mold back upright, open the mold, if needed use your striker to loosen and drop the bullets. All through this process no weight is being held by you.

bjordan
12-22-2015, 04:01 PM
The clove -technique has made casting easier for me. 4 cav Lymans are tolerable. No need to support the mold during sprue cutting.. Buy a pair of welders cloves and give it a try.

Thanks Ola. I am not familiar with The Clove Technique. I searched here and did a fast google search, but didn't find a description. And you explain or point me to a resource? Thanks again.

** I think you meant Glove Technique. Still not sure how its performed though, but I have some heavy duty welding gloves already.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-22-2015, 04:02 PM
While I never liked the Lyman "nut cracker" style handles for their 4 cavity molds, I suspect this is one area where they'd shine...by having a supporting block under the hinge pin, when tapping the mold and removing the boolits.

bjordan
12-22-2015, 04:04 PM
A trick i use is after I pour into the mold i kind of balance the mold on a 2" dowel. Pivoting the mold so a gloved hand can break the sprue. Pivot the mold a little further to dump the sprue puddle. Turn the mold back upright, open the mold, if needed use your striker to loosen and drop the bullets. All through this process no weight is being held by you.

This is where a short video would come in handy! I'll re-read this a few times and get an idea of how it works. My wrists thank you!

runfiverun
12-22-2015, 04:08 PM
I open the mold with a gloved [right] hand and return the sprue back to the pot, then flip the mold over and open the handle with my pinky-ring fingers then tap the bottom of the mold as I open it the boolits usually fall right out.
if they still don't fall out I turn the mold 90* so the weight of the boolit helps it fall straight out and tap the hinge pin.
when filling and the sprue is cooling is when I rest the mold on a box I made to adjust the molds height.
after that it's a circle of open, dump, close, and return right back to that box.

bjordan
12-22-2015, 10:43 PM
I open the mold with a gloved [right] hand and return the sprue back to the pot, then flip the mold over and open the handle with my pinky-ring fingers then tap the bottom of the mold as I open it the boolits usually fall right out.
if they still don't fall out I turn the mold 90* so the weight of the boolit helps it fall straight out and tap the hinge pin.
when filling and the sprue is cooling is when I rest the mold on a box I made to adjust the molds height.
after that it's a circle of open, dump, close, and return right back to that box.

Thanks for the help, from everyone. First, I will try the glove method and then some of the suggestions here and just work out something that works for me and doesn't break my wrist. I will admit, I haven't tried to cast many bullets in one sitting, so I need to practice more. Thanks again!!

Mal Paso
12-22-2015, 11:06 PM
I have a forearm rest across the front of my casting table to take the weight of the mold when I'm moving it. A wood block in front of the pot to set the mold on while the sprues flash. I can rest my forearms on my knees when I'm dropping bullets.

runfiverun
12-22-2015, 11:21 PM
the trick to the gloved method is in feeling when to open the cutter, and keeping a good consistent count when waiting for the sprue to cool.
once you have the rhythm your only holding the mold for about 10 seconds and filling and counting for another 10-12 seconds.
with the heavier molds i'll break open the cutter while transferring the mold from he box to the table top.
then put the sprue in the pot and pick up the mold while flipping it over and rapping the bottom.
a good mold will pop all the boolits free when you open it and you can use your gloved hand to support the mold while closing it and the cutter on the way back to the resting spot again.

44man
12-23-2015, 02:41 PM
I felt the same with a borrowed brass mold, durn thing was HEAVY! Wood works great as a rest. Hard wood like oak or ash. Don't use resinous stuff.