PDA

View Full Version : Mold question...

DrDucati
12-20-2015, 06:02 PM
So after having a lot of good results with the Lee mold, I wanted to cast something a couple thou wider so that I can size it down a little. I purchased an NOE brass mold supposed to drop 359 for 9mm, plain base 121gr.

I'm working through the learning curve...did my first pour session with it yesterday and a second session today. Most of my frustrations are common and just need to for instance, pre-heat the mold...in the case of the 4-20 bottom pour, dealing with the dripping between pours no matter what tricks I do (it drips up to 60/min at times), so I'll just remove the rod and try to remove any debris...I've read the threads on that.

With the NOE mold:

(1) the seams are a little more noticeable than my OCD tendency wants to handle..., and

(2) the sprue plate: Every three or four casts it's too loose and the sprues don't cut off completely flush with the bullet base. I tighten it with the allen wrench and it's good for a 3 to 4 pours.

Is there a trick to this? and also, does the sprue not being flush affect the accuracy? I know the edges of the base are supposed to be nice, but not sure about the little central area if that matters...

thx

edit: I found the thread on this and I also missed the set screw, LoL. whoops! will see if that fixes it.:oops:

runfiverun
12-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I get a slight tear/smear in the center of some of mine and a little bump with the others.
the bump usually goes away when I size them, I prefer the little bump.

look for a set-screw on the side of the mold to hold the sprue screw [say that 5 times real fast] tightly in place.

DrDucati
12-20-2015, 06:21 PM
of course the tiny size of allen wrench would be the one misplaced of my set of allens LoL

country gent
12-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Another trick with the set screw is to drop a small piece of lead shot or copper wire in between the set screw and sprue bolt. This soft material has better grip and dosnt deform the sprue bolt.