PDA

View Full Version : I've seen Herters sports mentioned before.

Billairgun
12-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I picked up a tray of misc. items at auction and there is some Herters branded primers in with a few gun parts. I'm thinking there just Remington that have been repackaged?

fouronesix
12-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Who knows about the primers. Guaranteed they were not made by Herter's. Herter's was the king of re-branding with fancy lithographic labels and claims like, "World's Finest", etc. :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Generally, Ole George would private label what ever he could get, for the cheapest price...with that said, I have two vintage bricks of Herters primers that were made in Japan. The numbering system is similar to Remington and or Winchester/Western ??? So maybe just copied/stole their nomenclature ? Or maybe he private labeled their primers in the past, using their numbers, and just kept using them with the japan primers, because those were the numbers he put in his reloading manuals ?

FYI, I find these to have a 'stiff' cup, much like CCI's do, as compared to other brands.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/herters%20rifle%20primers_zpso09gg3nb.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/herters%20rifle%20primers_zpso09gg3nb.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/herters%20pistol%20primers_zpsasfuqyr6.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/herters%20pistol%20primers_zpsasfuqyr6.jpg.html)

runfiverun
12-20-2015, 01:22 PM
well i'll say the statement 'a tray of assorted items' was pretty spot on.
I dunno the brisance of the herters primers but i'll bet a buck that says they are the finest most consistently made match grade easiest to ignite while still maintaining structural and moral integrity in a semi auto handgun [and perfect in other regards as a revolver primer too] primers ever made on the face of planet earth.

SOFMatchstaff
12-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Herters primers were made by the Japanese company Teikoku Kakohin Co. LTD. Kawagoe Japan. the packaging you show is earlier than the final product that I have, but may be of he same origin. These were/are some good primers. I still have a many thousands of them in different sizes that I got in the 70's, and they still are good to go. If I remember right I paid $4.99 a thousand ?? might have been less. The Hornet loves them, and the 41mag still keeps the ES lower than any primer I have tried.

Wanta sell the carbine part??

Yup, those are the ones I have John, but I always thought the cups were softer that the other brands available then.

hunterldh
12-20-2015, 02:05 PM
I found quite a variety of Herter's primers at an estate sale a decade ago. I have reloaded with and fired several thousand rounds of Herter's primed ammo with complete satisfaction. Hunter

xs11jack
12-20-2015, 08:43 PM
R5R, you sure you want to put as much as a buck on that? Didn't take you for such a high roller!
Ole Jack

farmerjim
12-20-2015, 09:50 PM
I still have some of the Herters primers that I paid $2.50 a 1000 in the 60's. They are still good. Same packaging as in the picture.

Rufus Krile
12-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Everything they sold was the "Herter's Model Perfect"... Back in the '60's you could buy their ".401 PowerMag" revolver through the mail... well, at least until 1968. Bought a lot of duck and goose decoys and calls, leg-hold traps, and Lyman 310 die sets through them.

Geezer in NH
12-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Wow this site amazes me. The knowledge of our members is extraordinary.
I would have never found it from all the books owned by me and I can remember buying from Herters.

Echo
12-21-2015, 01:51 AM
The Herter's catalog was a hoot to read. Everything was the best, most modern thinking, non pareil - "this is the best way to make a particular widget - and that is exactly how these are made!" Truly a hoot...

shooter2
12-21-2015, 08:50 AM
I grew up in Minnesota, not far from Herter's. Yeah, their catalog was a hoot, but their products were first rate. I was not into shooting as much as I was into fishing then, especially fly fishing and I bought tons of their fly tying hooks and materials. At that time the hooks were the finest in the world and made by Hardy's of England. You could get them in odd or even sizes. I wish I had kept their catalogs just to relive old memories.

StratsMan
12-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Billairgun... are you worried about shooting them?? I've loaded/shot every type of primer I see in your box without any trouble; even some primers older than those pictured (convex surface, not flat)... I still have some of the Federal primers in the plain brown packaging that I bought from an estate sale 15 years ago; they never fail to pop...

runfiverun
12-21-2015, 11:12 PM
R5R, you sure you want to put as much as a buck on that? Didn't take you for such a high roller!
Ole Jack

well it's pay-day weekend and I did put in a ton of overtime the last 2 weeks. :lol:

Steve77
12-21-2015, 11:23 PM
I have a few thousand SPP in packages like that. They don't feed well through my Lee Ergo prime, but my RCBS hand primer has no trouble with them. I have shot plenty of them and never had any problems.

MtGun44
12-23-2015, 12:05 PM
I think R5R was quoting that from an old Herter's catalog. I used to love to
read them back when I was a teen.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-23-2015, 12:31 PM
The Herter's catalog was a hoot to read. Everything was the best, most modern thinking, non pareil - "this is the best way to make a particular widget - and that is exactly how these are made!" Truly a hoot...

Sounds about like the current Duluth Traders catalog...

oldcanadice
12-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Cabellas has resurrected the name. They'll never do it justice.

I still have an old (50+ years) butterfly skinning knife that was the first item I bought to go in my original 'someday I'll get to go big-game hunting' wish list box.

Loved that catalog.

C. Latch
12-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Old George cost me a lot of money as a kid.

I mean, they were out of business before I was old enough to spend money, but his catalogs were still laying around, and in them I found a lot of 'must have' gear for later in life. Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops ought to give royalties to George's family.

waksupi
12-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Sounds about like the current Duluth Traders catalog...
Big difference is Duluth won't stand by their products. I bought a belt with a life time guarantee. Lasted less than a year, their response was, too bad for you.

Menner
12-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Herters Decoys, boots, waders and other things Herters cost me a few dollars. Just threw out the last pair of Herters boots a couple weeks ago. I bought them about a year or so before they closed the doors ( sold out to Bass Pro Shops I believe it was ) I use to love to go through that catalog
Tony

Bad Water Bill
12-23-2015, 07:10 PM
IIRC Cabelas paid George and family a tidy sum for many of their products and the use of their name.

I do not remember how many canoes and kayaks I rescued by using "Our world famous fiberglass kit"[smilie=s:

Still have one of their loading bibles and a catalog in my gun room.

Uncle R.
12-24-2015, 10:07 PM
I was still a kid in 1968 but I remember the 1960s era of Herter's pretty well. They were really big, and at least many of their products really were excellent quality for low prices. I always thought GCA68 dealt them a blow from which they never fully recovered. I'm kinda fuzzy on the details, but wasn't it another federal law and fines over selling fly tyers prohibited feathers that finally drove the company into bankruptcy?

Thanks, fedgov.

I miss the catalogs, I miss at least some of the products, and I miss the days when "Model Perfect" sporting goods items were available to everyone.
Rest in peace, George Leonard.
If we meet on the other side of the divide, I hope your warehouse is well stocked. I'll be in the market for a Model Perfect bamboo fly rod at a price a working man can afford.

Uncle R.