PDA

View Full Version : Hollow pointer on the way

Don Fischer
12-19-2015, 04:52 PM
This next year will be the first year hunting big game with a cast bullet in a rifle. So asked somewhere about bullet's. Only rifle mold I have is a Lee 180gr RN. I was told I really needed a flat tip on the bullet to insure expansion of a hollow point. I though about using a file to flatten the point's the worried I might not get the square. So yesterday I got Midway on the line and a hollow pointer is on the way. Today I found a deal on Amazon for a Lee hardness tester. Got it for $26.72 that included shipping. been thinking about it for years but just never got one. Mostly I've done 38 spec and 32 Long with casting. Got antsy waiting so decided to try and hollow point one here by hand. Pretty time consuming! anyway I started by filing the point with a flat spot. Then I took a 1/16th drill bit and drilled a short hole in it. got that and used it to aline a 1/8th bit. Took it to the bottom of the 1/16th hole. Still had some flat on the tip so I took a tool I made to de-burr flash hole's in side the case. Just aed it a couple times 3/16 drill bit mounted in a wood dowel handle. Stuck it to the 1/8th hole and turn it a couple time's and took off all but a very little bit of the flat. I like this! Figure when my hollow pointer get's here I'll use it to get a straight start then finish it with a 1/8th, might not need that and the flash hole de-bur tool. The hole itself might be 1/8th deep.

bangerjim
12-19-2015, 05:14 PM
That is one way to get there. Pretty slow and time consuming!

Using a lathe is much faster. And a tapered point drill (that you make) (on that same lathe) to drill tapered holes EXACTLY centered in the end.

OR......what I do...

Just buy a mold that does HP's when you cast! I crank them out by the pound in no time.

My time is far too valuable to use multi-step drilling.

Good luck and have fun.

bangerjim

Larry Gibson
12-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Assuming you have the Forster on the way?

Larry Gibson