PDA

View Full Version : Went to the range with 40-65 and friends

GOPHER SLAYER
12-18-2015, 04:30 PM
I went to the range with Buckshot and two friends yesterday. It was a bit cool at first but got warmer as the day progressed. I shot 40 rounds thru my 40-65 Roller. This was a atrocious looking relic from the Mexican revolution when I first saw it. The man was asking $67 for it. I passed but my friend bought it and turned it into what you see. If for some reason I could only keep one of my rifles, this one would be hard to part with. Buckshot put up a steel gong at 200 yards. It is a big thrill [to me at least] to hit that gong with a 300 grain lead bullet while standing on your hind legs as Col Askins used to say. I have tried to post the pictures I took but for some reason the sight will not let me. I will try to post the pictures in a reply.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Well the site still will not let me post the pictures I took. When I click browse it tells me there is no such file. Not only that but I can't get control of my computer without signing off. It make me want to turn my 40-65 on the computer.

Kraschenbirn
12-18-2015, 10:23 PM
I'm about to (re)build one of those, probably about the same vintage. Got from a member here who acquired the piece, as is, in a trade deal...but never got around to actually completing it. #5 RB action with a full octagon Badger(?) barrel and some halfway decent aftermarket wood. Needs sights, a trigger job, and refit/refinish of the replacement wood. Also got brass, dies, and a David Mas mould (400 gr. Postell) tossed into the deal. Currently, it's sitting in the workshop safe but after the New Year, it becomes my #1 project.

Bill

BTW...site won't let me post pics, either. Have tried posting from my desktop and from PhotoBucket...no luck, either way.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Krash, I can give you a tip on the trigger. There is a man who makes a wire trigger spring for that action. It works just fine but it does looks rather Mickey Mouse. I did find a regular spring for that action that someone had ground down on both sides and it works well also. I have another complete rifle that even has the cleaning rod. I also have a 45-90 barrel that is threaded and chambered for it but I just can't seem to bring myself to tear apart an original rifle that went through the Mexican revolution. I can tell you I love that action. It doesn't have all those moving parts. They are a hoot to shoot.

Kraschenbirn
12-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the trigger info. This will be my second RB; #1 is a Pedersoli #1 1/2 in .45-70 that's one of my two current 'favorites' to shoot. The Pedersoli's trigger was pretty stiff when I got it so I shimmed the return spring to reduce its tension. Reduced the let-off some but I'm still not quite satisfied with the result so I'm gonna get a set of new springs for back-up and learn what it takes to do full trigger job (internal deburr/polish, stone the sear surfaces, lighten the springs, etc.) on the .40-65 while I've got it apart to refit/refinish the wood. Once I've got that one right, I'll have a go at the Pedersoli.

Bill