PDA

View Full Version : Cast soft points using lead balls

Black Beard
12-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Here is an idea for easy soft points that I can’t make in UK (legal thing). I would appreciate it if someone would have a go at them and let me know if it works.

Simply cast a pure lead ball in to the front of a larger calibre bullet. Pre-heat a small lead ball, drop it in to the mould and then pour in the harder alloy.

For example a 30 calibre rifle with a .177 lead ball (Gamo make them for airguns). Or a 45 with a 5,5mm (H&N make them). You might need to make a little dimple in the front of the bullet mould so the ball stays in the centre. I would thing that the dimple should be no deeper than 1/3 of the diameter of the ball to ensure the ball doesn't fall out after casting. Also use a long bullet with a blunt tipped/ round nose design to get good mould fill out around the ball. The soft lead will be heavier than the molten aloy so it won’t float to the top of the mould. I think that normal lead shot would probably be too light.

Result should be a bullet with a short soft nose section but all the parts contacting the bore are normal hard alloy.

Has anyone tried this before?

BB

rancher1913
12-18-2015, 10:17 AM
try searching the site first.
there is a thread by "hickok" a couple a days ago and he detailed doing this very thing and even has results from a hunt using them. goes into detail about making them.

Larry Gibson
12-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Numerous threads on 2-part cast bullets. The lead RB (shot or buckshot) has been covered in threads before. The ball will not "float to the top" as the alloy poured in solidifies right away. Here's a pic of similar using BBs in a 323471 mould.

Larry Gibson