PDA

View Full Version : Need electronics help

xs11jack
12-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Since we have 39K plus members, I thought I would ask here if anyone knows where I can get information on an old Capacitor and resister tester I was given.
Any info is truly appreciated.
Ole Jack

tryNto
12-17-2015, 03:39 AM
Maybe a picture or a manufacture name, model number would help someone to get you some info.

6bg6ga
12-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Yes, a picture showing the manufacturer and model number would be helpful. Most of these however just need some tlc. I currently have an old one on my shelf that I brought back to life after removing the aged caps and replacing them. It has a cool looking tube that acts as a display band either narrowing or becoming wider.

popper
12-17-2015, 11:30 AM
It has a cool looking tube that acts as a display band either narrowing or becoming wider. Don't think I've seen one of those for 60 or so years.

AggieEE
12-17-2015, 11:46 AM
When I was in the HS radio/tv shop we had a cap checker with a cat's eye display, glowing tube like above. I think it was made by Hickock and gov. surplus. May also be B&K. I never like it much. Do a google search with name and model number you might get lucky.

bangerjim
12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
I made one of those cap testers using a "magic eye" tube back when I was in high school in the late 60's! Salvaged the "eye" from an old radio I found in the junk yard. (that antique stuff existed in spades back then!) Worked OK for the accuracies we had with old oil/foil/paper caps of the day. I still have it! I made most of my test equipment back in the "dark ages" from salvaged components from old radios and TV's. Had good high-end Simpson (analog) meter and a Heathkit o-scope for reference.

You should be aware that the components used to make the device (specifically the capacitors) you have are probably way out of spec and any results you get are probably totally wrong.

If you want to test caps and resistors, buy a new digital DVM that has that capability. They are not that expensive and give you digital results rather than null-balancing a measuring bridge with that eye tube and VERY old components doing the measuring.

Good luck.

bangerjim

Mal Paso
12-17-2015, 09:17 PM
I was reading this post and realized the batteries have not been changed in my 60+ year old Triplett 630 in 12+ years. I opened it up and got a wiff of Bakelite like it was new. :) I pulled out the D cell and underneath was a 30V photo battery like I'd never seen. Worried 'till I found one on Amazon for $12.

Check the batteries in your antique meters. An old dry cell melting down can ruin an old meter.

bangerjim
12-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Really OLD ( I mean OLD!) dry cells do not seem to leak. I have a very old (ca 1900) telephone testing bridge and it has "D" cells in it that are still originals! Dead....but did not leak. Now they are as collectable as the unit itself!

Newer dry cells from the 60-80's seem to run down and leak acid like crazy. I know I have sent at least 5 good lights back to EveryReady and they sent me a new light because the batteries leaked and ate up the metal light!

Alkaline's just ooze white basic (non acidic) stuff that you can easily scrape off. I have never had anything eaten up by an old ak battery. The CAN and do swell up and get stuck in Maglites!!!!!

Time to get one of those FREE multi-tester DVM's from HF with the coupons they send out all the time. I get 6-10 a week!

banger

Mal Paso
12-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Really OLD ( I mean OLD!) dry cells do not seem to leak. I have a very old (ca 1900) telephone testing bridge and it has "D" cells in it that are still originals! Dead....but did not leak. Now they are as collectable as the unit itself!

Newer dry cells from the 60-80's seem to run down and leak acid like crazy. I know I have sent at least 5 good lights back to EveryReady and they sent me a new light because the batteries leaked and ate up the metal light!

Don't make em like they used to!:)

Time to get one of those FREE multi-tester DVM's from HF with the coupons they send out all the time. I get 6-10 a week!
banger

Got one of those cheap meters in every vehicle, cabin, loading bench etc. Got a Fluke 87 too but I grew up with that 630. It has semimental value and it's cool it still works. I think it cost Dad more than a week's salary at the time.

bangerjim
12-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Know what you mean. I still have several old Simpsons and other analog meters. You cannot read a moving analog voltage with a DVM! I keep the old "needle draggers" around for just that reason. Mine uses a 9V and 4 AA's for the low and high ohm scales, so replacement is a lot easier than that photo battery you've got. Glad you could find one at a reasonable price. Similar to the old Graflex flash I have that uses a 90v battery to trigger the xenon tube! Used long before transistor fly back switchers to make the HV for the tube flash.

MaryB
12-18-2015, 01:47 AM
Simpson 260's... memories from high school many years ago. If you have a model number I might be able to locate a service manual. And many new DVMS have an analog bar meter to help see quick changes.

ozarkhillbilly49
12-18-2015, 05:54 AM
xs do a search for bama( boat anchor manual archive). it was on the edebris site. amazing the information and manuals contained there.