PDA

View Full Version : DIY Bottom Pour Ladle/dipper

sthwestvictoria
12-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Not my idea and I haven't tried it yet however this looks like a great idea from a UK Mould Maker JT-Bullet-Moulds:
He uses a spent CO2/NO canister from a soda-maker or cream whipper, or the larger canisters from a bicycle tyre inflator:

http://jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/images/LD.jpg

There is a pdf of his instructions here:
http://jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/docs/Lead_Dipper.pdf

I'm going to whip one up just to try it.

jabo52521
12-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Amazing. Everything has a use.

ndnchf
12-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Not sure if there is really added value in this. It seems like that is a lot more metal to keep hot. Every time the dipper is out of the lead, it cools down. That has a lot of surface area to let it cool it faster. But I'd like to hear a test report from someone who has used it extensively.

country gent
12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
One of the plusses to more mass in moulds or a ladle is it holds heat better. I am considering making a brass ladle bottom pour slightly bigger than thercbs ladle and slightly thicker material to get better hold heat and to fill bigger bullet moulds easily. My biggest is 2 550 grn 45 cal bullet and I like some over pour also. Allowing the dipper to rest in the molten metal while emptying the mould keeps it plenty hot.

Elkins45
12-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Not sure if there is really added value in this. It seems like that is a lot more metal to keep hot. Every time the dipper is out of the lead, it cools down. That has a lot of surface area to let it cool it faster. But I'd like to hear a test report from someone who has used it extensively.

If you leave it floating on the surface of the pot while not pouring it holds heat pretty well in my experience.

I think it's a neat idea. Once real advantage to the tall, thin cylinder is that there's less surface open at the top for it to oxidize while in the ladle.

ndnchf
12-16-2015, 06:46 PM
I agree, if you keep the ladle in the lead at all times except when pouring, it would hold the eat well. I hope we hear from someone who has used it.

10x
12-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I would modify that slightly by putting the filler opening between the handle shaft and the pour spout to give a larger spill resistant reservoir

Viper225
01-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Looks good to me.

Bob R

Michael J. Spangler
01-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Love this idea. I have a spent co2 canister sitting around just waiting to be turned into a ladle
I wonder how this would work with one of the really big canisters for smelting operations

10x
01-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Love this idea. I have a spent co2 canister sitting around just waiting to be turned into a ladle
I wonder how this would work with one of the really big canisters for smelting operations

Great, you just gave me an idea - a 1 lb propane tank with a handle and a hole between the handle and the drilled out valve - great for pouring ingots.
Cant' wait to build it.