PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it for you to find black powder?

Kylongrifle
12-14-2015, 07:21 PM
We are at a hour drive now for Goex powder..Really not that bad since we usually other stuff while we are there..about $18 per pound now..I hear guys all the time saying they have to bulk order it and split the order to save on shipping and hazmat charges..What about you?

mooman76
12-14-2015, 07:27 PM
I have to drive to UT. The only place I know of is in northern UT so about a 7 hr(one way) drive. I do go there about once a year so I now just pick it up when I visit. The one place in town here quite selling all BP stuff. There is probably a closer place if I search but it likely would be a special trip.

country gent
12-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I can get regular GoEx at a couple places here but amount is ussually limited and I perfer the Olde Ensford and Swiss at times so 2 times a year I order powder in a 25 lb quanity mixed case. When loading the 45-90 45-70 and 40-65 a lb of powder dosnt go very far actually.

fouronesix
12-14-2015, 07:58 PM
How hard is it for you to find black powder?

Very easy. I can drive 10 miles to town and buy GOEX. Or, a couple of mouse clicks and have other brands delivered to my door at competitive prices.

Amazing how people will drive long distances to save so very little on a price tag. In many instances, the per mile cost of operating a vehicle far exceeds the hazmat and shipping that many complain about. Penny wise, pound foolish is alive and well. :)

swathdiver
12-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Not hard at all. It's on my computer, order from Graf's or Powder Inc and it shows up days later with a nervous FedEx driver happy to deliver it!

Closest brick and mortar store carrying black powder is 2 hours away in Orlando, Florida.

Kylongrifle
12-14-2015, 08:11 PM
know of the places you can order..I really meant your local gun stores..I just ask because it seems most of our brick & mortar suppliers have stopped carrying it because of the paper work..Like I said our drive is one hour but we always turn it into a day for other thigns too so Im not just going to get powder..Know what I mean..

Vann
12-14-2015, 08:12 PM
I burn almost a case a year so I order It from Powder Inc. Usually I'll sell some during the year for what I paid for it so a case really doesn't last for long.

Kylongrifle
12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
A pound of powder dosnt really go very far..Ive burnt a pound this weekend..

JSnover
12-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Some gun clubs buy in bulk for their members. One I used to belong to had an approved storage facility. They did a big order once a year for anyone who wanted in (members only, but most members didn't mind helping out a non-member if they knew him well enough).

Baron von Trollwhack
12-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Find members of the Kentucky Corp of Rifleman whose home range is in Morehead. They can likely point you in the right direction. The NMLRA is a good place to check also.

Bvt

Kylongrifle
12-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Find members of the Kentucky Corp of Rifleman whose home range is in Morehead. They can likely point you in the right direction. The NMLRA is a good place to check also.

Bvt
Ive heard there is a good club up in Morehead. I worked in west Liberty for several years, I live about an hour and a half south east of Morehead right now..We had a good muzzleloader club next county over in Salyersville but I don't think they have been too active the last several years..
Oh by the way we have been buying at Borders in Ashland..

rodwha
12-14-2015, 10:33 PM
My powders are shared between my Remington NMA, Ruger Old Army, and Lyman .50 cal Deerstalker. As my pistols are involved and I require a high level of performance from them as they are hunting sidearms as well not just any powder will do. I couldn't find Olde Eynsford or Swiss locally and used Triple 7 until I couldn't find it in 3F for months and went online. Buying 3 lbs nullifies the HazMat and I'm happy with that. No more wasted trips to find out there's no powder for me. I buy from Grafs.

DIRT Farmer
12-14-2015, 11:46 PM
I have been known to shoot a couple of cases a year in shotguns and I shoot several times a year at Friendship so I just pick up my powder there. Goex, Old Enysford, Swiss
All grades from NullB Swiss to fg, one pound cans to 25 pound bags.

BigAl52
12-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Im lucky its about 10 minutes at the most from my house in a small town. But if I want a to look at a rifle I do it on line and guess if it will work. No one around here carrys anything and Cabelas has them but not much in stock. Al

retread
12-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Grafs. Burning gas is more costly than ordering from them. Don't even have to leave the load room.

OverMax
12-15-2015, 02:02 AM
Have Cabela's 15 minutes away and Track of the Wolf 30 minutes away. Both are in the same direction road wise. Either one or the other or both have always had as much Gorex or Swiss as I wanted to buy in stock whenever I was in need. Frankly: Never wanted to split a case of powder with anyone>to much of a hassle not my cup of tea.
So for the last two years for fun and giggles I've made my own B/P at whim. Both variety's screened & corned. Lately its been screen only. Which is appropriate for use in my Hawken rifles as I do deer hunt with mine.
Honestly I don't see or hear any difference between my powder and a store bought powders ignition. 100 yard groupings are near the same in looks. Where there is a difference is in the powders costs. $5.00 a pound verses 20.00 to 30.00 a pound depending on brand. So these days I shoot more and worry less.

Omnivore
12-15-2015, 05:05 AM
I've never understood the question, "how hard is it to find...". Are you trying to make things difficult? I can get Goex powders 40 minutes away by highway, or I can order anything I want on this here computer thingy in the comfort of my home. I almost never drive to get it. Same with caps. Someone just the other day on another forum tried to say he was "having a hard time" finding caps, when there was a Cabela's ad on the very page where he posted the comment, and they have caps in stock by the thousands. Oy!

Yes; the Feds made it very difficult and expensive for local stores to stock black powder. Yes, that was years and years ago. So work to get the laws changed and to dispose of the BATFE once and for all. Until then, most people have to order their black powder and pay HASMAT fees. It's part of the overall harassment system, making gun ownership more difficult and expensive. So change it.

gnoahhh
12-15-2015, 01:20 PM
I buy all I need at Fort Chambers gun shop in Chambersburg, PA. It's about 20 minutes from where I'm hanging out every weekend so it's not a big deal to drive up there. They always have a great selection, and Swiss powder to boot also.

Once, years ago, a couple of us pooled our resources to buy a 25 pound keg of Goex. We drew straws to see who had to make the trip down to Virginia to pick it up. The guy who lost the draw arrived back with the powder to where we were waiting in the driveway. He stepped out of his truck wearing a hard hat, safety goggles, and welder's gloves. We all rolled with laughter as none of that stuff would've saved him had he somehow detonated that keg of powder.

Hardcast416taylor
12-15-2015, 02:14 PM
A local on line auction just ended last night. There were 2 full unopened cans of Goex 2F that went for $30.Robert

Maven
12-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Can't find it locally at all, and thus have to eat the shipping & Hazmat fees. However, this guy's prices, selection, and service make mail order at least tolerable: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html

bedbugbilly
12-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Where I'm at, the closest LGS that carries it is about 20 miles away. They keep it "out back" and not on the shelf due to storage requirements. The other LGS . . . about 15 miles away doesn't carry it at all. Their attitude is why would anybody want to just BP when there is Pyrodex? Guess which tore I go to . . :-)

Kylongrifle
12-15-2015, 05:22 PM
On a side not I went to our local today to ask about blackhorn 209...Im wanting to try some cast boolits in sabots for my encore(I haven't hunted with it in about 5 years) Thought Id try some blackhorn.......$45 for 10 ounces, nahhh..$35 that everybody else charges is bad enough. $45 aint gonna happen,LOL..10 ounces would not last me one good afternoon..Not that I mind paying for good stuff, I don't but that $10 mark up kida sticks in my craw..

Texantothecore
12-16-2015, 05:23 PM
I buy mine at the mall. But this is Texas.

rfd
12-16-2015, 08:30 PM

dang! go ahead brutha, rub it in. :bigsmyl2:

rfd
12-16-2015, 08:34 PM
We are at a hour drive now for Goex powder..Really not that bad since we usually other stuff while we are there..about $18 per pound now..I hear guys all the time saying they have to bulk order it and split the order to save on shipping and hazmat charges..What about you?

i do an online 25# bulk order to get free shipping/hazmat.

Fly
12-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Well this is one of the reasons I started making my own. You guys that have places close by are very lucky.
I know of no gun shop with in a 100 miles that sells it any more. Insurance is the reason I get when I ask
the shops I have been in. They say they do not make enough off of it to handle it.

I have made BP for my fire works for years. So when I started having problems getting it I just started
working on making powder that worked well in guns. I still keep some Goex & Swiss on hand though.
I most always pick some up when I,m some where that has it. I won't pay hazmat though.

Fly

Whiterabbit
12-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Very easy.

My local dealer is ~3 hours south by car. I pass through roughly 3x a year, and 1x of those times the shop is open. I *sometimes* buy powder there.
Powder Inc. is always available. I use them.
My local club runs a group buy roughly 2x a year.

This all provides ample opportunity to buy powder.

-----------

Add to that my work in making my own. that also helps stretch the supply.

Texantothecore
12-16-2015, 09:13 PM
dang! go ahead brutha, rub it in. :bigsmyl2:
When I talk with people from LA and tell them that they get a real funny look on their face. It is hilarious.

rfd
12-17-2015, 06:43 AM
When I talk with people from LA and tell them that they get a real funny look on their face. It is hilarious.

i need to move back to san antone. :)

DerekP Houston
12-17-2015, 08:49 AM

I was gonna say, its pretty much in every LGS here though some only have the substitutes. Carters Country has a great selection of blackpowder gear.

scattershot
12-17-2015, 10:26 AM
I live in a large metropolitan area (Denver) and I can only think of one place that stocks the real stuff. Black powder is classified as an explosive, instead of a flammable solid like smokeless, so there are pretty strict storage and licensing requirements for it. Not worth the hassle for most stores, so they don't stock it.

pietro
12-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Not hard - start my vehicle & drive 15 miles to one of the funshops that stock BP.

Not much choice, though - I have to buy whatever different brand they happen to have each month (So far, Goex one month, Swiss another month, etc, etc).

Kylongrifle
12-17-2015, 03:20 PM
I found a place here in Ky..I think its called ky gun company near Bardstown. they sell online too..their prices on Goex are good and they sell my beloved RWS 1075 caps so I think Im gonna just break down and buy a 1000 count roll of caps and a few pounds of powder from them since I can get both at one wack..

Texantothecore
12-17-2015, 03:34 PM
I live in a large metropolitan area (Denver) and I can only think of one place that stocks the real stuff. Black powder is classified as an explosive, instead of a flammable solid like smokeless, so there are pretty strict storage and licensing requirements for it. Not worth the hassle for most stores, so they don't stock it.

If you have a Bass Pro in town give them a call. They may have it but you have to ask for it. They usually carry Goex and Swiss.

irishtoo
12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
once a year i drive to new england to visit my brother. so we drive up to maine to the maine powder house and i buy from him. im there anyway and we make a road trip of it. irishtoo

Grump
12-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Mooman76:

Yup, you have to drive way past southern Utah to get real BP. Nothing in Washington County--the same vague answer from every LGS, something hinting it's impossible to order and carry real BP any more. Most have Pyrodex or one substitute, one LGS has P-dex, 777, Shockey's Gold and maybe a fourth type.

BUT a couple of months ago, I was in the Bass Pro at the south end of LV and they had at least two different types of real BP. They had moved all powder out of sight (not just on a shelf behind the counter) months before then, and just kept a notebook listing all the powders they had in the store.

I just had other financial priorities at the time, including smokeless pistol powder(s), so I still haven't pick up any. Have no interest in substitutes, being as how one of the BP arms I use is very, very old.

You Texas guys: I'll have to check if the WalMart in Cedar City still carries powder, primers and a small selection of bullets. I've heard that some in the midwest also carry reloading components. Still the only one where I have seen that stuff stocked in Wally World.

mooman76
12-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Grump,
Thanks for the info. I don't get down to Basspros very often. They are way the other end of town from me and no reason to go there. Their gun stuff(reloading gear & powder) is very spotty and you can't depend on them having anything. I have a Sportsmans Warehouse near by that suits me. Now I may have a reason to go. The last couple times I was there I asked if they had any and they said no they don't carry. I have heard that other stores sometime say that because the sales clerks just don't know since it's a uncommon item and kept in the back. That was a couple years ago so maybe they weren't carrying it at that time.

Kylongrifle
12-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Nothing like Basspro near us at all..Part of living in rural East,Ky..One thing I will say for our one old local un shop is that you can still find old oddball stuff there... I bought a NOS hot shot nipple to fit my Cherokee there the other day. Still hanging on the rack..how long has it been sice they made those? 18 years?

oldfart1956
12-19-2015, 10:39 PM
I buy all I need at Fort Chambers gun shop in Chambersburg, PA. It's about 20 minutes from where I'm hanging out every weekend so it's not a big deal to drive up there. They always have a great selection, and Swiss powder to boot also.

. Yup...Fort Chambers Gun Shop. I get the 25lb. keg of loose powder (no cans) and found that all 25lbs. will divide up into 20 cans if you settle it a bit. Just did so and it was $370, so about $15 a pound. You have to call Jim (owner) in advance so he can go to the powder magazine to pick up the 25lb. lots. Wonderful man to deal with and have been dealing with him since the early 70's. He does all my gun work now as well. Audie...the Oldfart..

tomme boy
12-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Like Maven, I get mine from Crater. He is about 30 miles from me so I just call him up and tell him I'm on my way. He has everything ready when I get there. Really nice guy. And he has some great prices. The Diamondback powder he carries is also very good! I don't see any difference between it and GOEX. I have never tried the Swiss yet. Maybe a lb next time just to see.

Kylongrifle
12-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Got a shock today..My one local supplier had to switch wholesalers and the price went up from $18.99 a pound to $ 27.99 a pound:veryconfu

Crawdaddy
12-22-2015, 03:18 PM
No where within 4 hours of me. I never cared until recently when I bought a flintlock. I always used subs in my other guns. I had toi bite the bullet and order it from Grafs and eat the hazmat fee.

Fly
12-23-2015, 02:57 PM
You guys need to try making your own. You can make a Lb for $4 a lb. We have a ton of guys doing it.
Just a thought.
Fly

Dogmann
01-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Can you actually buy direct at the factory!????

Whiterabbit
01-06-2016, 08:36 PM
That's a funny question. I called the GOEX distributor (google that, you can find your local) and asked for retailers. That's how I got my list of closest ones. It never ocurred to me to ask if I could buy directly from them.

ha!