PDA

View Full Version : Important to keep smelting and casting area cleaned up

44 WCF
12-12-2015, 06:11 PM
I had enlightening experience about lead contaminated soil. I became acquainted with a caster who has a side business as home inspector. He does home inspections for both buyers and sellers involved in real estate transactions. Being curious he had soil sampled where he has smelted WW for years. Lead levels were high enough above normal area average that it could have been a issue. He believes it came from their scraping out the dutch ovens etc they used when smelting and spilling dross when skimming. It's a reminder to practice good house keeping and disposing of the dross material we recover and generate when smelting.

bangerjim
12-12-2015, 06:18 PM
I use those BIG oil drip pans you can get at WalMart under everything. Just pick 'em up and dump 'em.

banger

dragon813gt
12-12-2015, 07:02 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/15709031-CE0F-4E95-A533-92AFDB56657D-452-0000000FD78ECA49.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/15709031-CE0F-4E95-A533-92AFDB56657D-452-0000000FD78ECA49.jpg.html)

Metal pans under everything. I have a large one that I use under the turkey fryer. I liked having access to a sheet metal shop. Now I need to buy a pan brake as I no longer work there.

MUSTANG
12-12-2015, 07:45 PM
I use those BIG oil drip pans you can get at WalMart under everything. Just pick 'em up and dump 'em.

banger

It could be the property owner was disposing of dross and dust around the property which over time could become problematic. The alternative of placing the dross/dust in the trash simply moves the collected "Heavy Metals" residue from a local location, to a community dump. My solution is "Redi-Mix". In Moapa I mix smelting residue with Redi-Mix and it is used in filling retaining wall concrete block over time. In Kalispell I have been mixing it into concrete walk ways and cast patio pavers. My thoughts are that entrainment (Mixed into Redi-Mix for projects) is the best solution for the ages.

tazman
12-12-2015, 08:21 PM
It could be the property owner was disposing of dross and dust around the property which over time could become problematic. The alternative of placing the dross/dust in the trash simply moves the collected "Heavy Metals" residue from a local location, to a community dump. My solution is "Redi-Mix". In Moapa I mix smelting residue with Redi-Mix and it is used in filling retaining wall concrete block over time. In Kalispell I have been mixing it into concrete walk ways and cast patio pavers. My thoughts are that entrainment (Mixed into Redi-Mix for projects) is the best solution for the ages.

I like that idea.

bangerjim
12-12-2015, 10:40 PM

When I said "dump it" I did NOT mean in the garbage can!!!!!!!! The metal pans prevent anything from getting into the ground. And since I have a property FULL of citrus trees, grapes, and other eatables, I do not want Pb leaching in the ground.Any excess "stuff" is caught and DEPOSITED in a 5 gallon metal bucket. With the tiny amount of "stuff" I now get since I quit messing with filthy stinky messy COWW's several years ago, my heirs can worry about dumping that bucket! I mainly have dross from my casting pots, and I re-melt that in another pot to recover any Sn in there. What is left (maby a tablespoon full or so of black powder!) goes in the bucket.

banger

Jtarm
12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
The metal tray looks awesome.

I'll look around for a 30 gallon steel
Drum. It will then become my heirs problem.

I'll mention it in my will so they know to get rid of it before listing the house:-)