PDA

View Full Version : lead shaving

redneckdan
10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm having major problems with lead shaving. I think is is due to the fact that the Lee speed die I am using is hardly expanding the case mouth. Anybody have any experience with the Lee version of an M-die? thanks.
Dan

stocker
10-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I have one and it is one of Lee's most versatile tools. Works on every caliber I own. Comes with two expander parts. Depending on case length and case mouth diameter you may use one or the other or both stacked for short cases. Along with their crimp dies these expanders fill a number of needs.

eljefe
10-20-2005, 08:09 AM
I use the lee expander too, as well as a speed die in 9mm luger. My 9mm cast reloads came out great, with no shaving of lead. You just have to play with it a little to find the right amount of flare for your purpose.

stocker
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
A caution. They are a simple flaring tool only and are not the equivalent of having the correct M die for every cartridge in that they do not provide any neck expansion and support while flaring. As all my boolits have gas checks I tend to think there is less swaging effect on the bullet from the resized neck than occurs with a plain base boolit. Whether that's actually true I don't know but it works for me. One cartridge I prefer using my M die for is 30-30 with it's long relatively fragile neck.