PDA

View Full Version : Crimp ?

burch
04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I`m reloading a 45colt 255gr Keith type and was wondering about the crimp. I`m using Unique powder and have it running between 900 and 950 fps. I now have a light crimp and was going to the range and check my last two in the cylinder for it jumping crimp but was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Also, I have a C.O.L. of 1.020 and was wondering if that`s alright. My case is the right length and I have it just under the lip. I can`t seat it any furthur.

Burch :Fire:

runfiverun
04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
checking is a good idea as some cases are thicker than others, good neck tension
is more important for powder burn. but that crimp is there to keep the boolit from
moving.
this oal may not work in some rifles. but i would bet it works in a 92 just fine.

robertbank
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you are runnig about 8 gr of Unique from your Vel readings. In my 4.75" Beretta Stampede (SAA Clone) I load out to the edge of the cylinder and apply what I would describe as a medium crimp and have not had any problems with bullet set back. Your gun will tell you if you need more crimp. Just enough is perfect, IMHO.

Take Care

Bob

burch
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Forgot to add i`m shooting this load in my Ruger Vaquero 5.5bbl

burch
04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
checking is a good idea as some cases are thicker than others, good neck tension
is more important for powder burn. but that crimp is there to keep the boolit from
moving.
this oal may not work in some rifles. but i would bet it works in a 92 just fine.

9.8 Grns

runfiverun
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
the old style vaqueros had a cylinder bore a bit longer than colt cases
i used to cut back casull cases for mine.
the new ones aren,t as strong, they are probably more like a colt.

454PB
04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
In my .454 Casulls, I load the cylinder and fire all but the last round. I then replace all the fired cases with new rounds and do it again. If that loaded round has survived two cylinders full, I know the neck tension and crimp are correct. The idea is the same for all revolver cartridges.

burch
04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
454BP,

Good idea, if it`ll withstand a couple cylinders full it`ll withstand the test of time.