PDA

View Full Version : Was given a Lyman 45 - a few questions

warpspeed
12-10-2015, 10:16 PM
A friend gave me a couple of boxes of "reloading" supplies he got from someone who cleaned out an old relatives garage.

Among the things I found what appears to be a Lyman 45 lubrisizer in desperate need of a rehab. As if I need another rehab project.

Before I get started, is it worth it ? If the rest of the stuff is any indication, It likely has a die in it for 44 caliber bullets. What dies will fit it ?

There was also a 4 cavity Lyman mold with the # 734 on it and nutcracker style handle. Bullet profile looks like 429215 and in the collection were several boxes of gas checks so I'm guessing that is what the sizer is set up for.

Duckiller
12-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Yes! Lyman 45s are good lubersizers. Lyman and RCBS dies will fit it. One caution. Don't over stress it. It is not a reloading press and can be over stressed. Resize in small steps if doing major resizing and make sure your lube warm and flowing good. It is a good tool , enjoy it.

Beagle333
12-10-2015, 11:28 PM
They are great tools. I got 4 of em on my bench. ('too lazy to change dies)
If you size your boolits through a Lee push-thru sizer before lubing, it'll outlast you easily. :cool:

warpspeed
12-11-2015, 01:07 AM
They are great tools. I got 4 of em on my bench. ('too lazy to change dies)
If you size your boolits through a Lee push-thru sizer before lubing, it'll outlast you easily. :cool:

That sounds like a real good idea. Not sure if / when I will get around to working on it.

warpspeed
12-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Yes! Lyman 45s are good lubersizers. Lyman and RCBS dies will fit it. One caution. Don't over stress it. It is not a reloading press and can be over stressed. Resize in small steps if doing major resizing and make sure your lube warm and flowing good. It is a good tool , enjoy it.

So the Lyman 4500 dies work ?

Green Frog
12-11-2015, 10:19 AM
So the Lyman 4500 dies work ?

The Ideal and Lyman G, H, & I sizing die parts are all compatible from oldest to newest EXCEPT for the way they are retained in the press. Earlier presses have a set screw that engages a groove near the top of the die while later ones have a retaining nut that holds the die in from above. It is possible to use old dies in new presses and if the set screw gets a good purchase on the die body, the reverse is true as well. I currently have a new die in a lubrisizer made before the turn of the last century and it sizes my .518 bullets for a Maynard carbine very nicely, thank you! :D

Froggie

PS, Older sizing dies lack the bevel to start a bullet being sized, causing occasional lead shaving... I prefer to use later dies if possible.