PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Bevel-Base boolits in a Lyman Lubrisizer

NuJudge
10-14-2005, 09:26 PM
I recently got a great price on a Lyman 4 cavity bevel-base 9mm mold, and it just occurred to me that I will have a problem with lube in the bevel. I've never had a bevel base mold, so I've never had this problem. [smilie=b:

Any bright ideas?

Christopher Dingell
Trenton, Michigan

Ken O
10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I run lots of .45acp SWC BB, what you have to do is get a styrofoam meat tray (the ones a steak or hamburger comes in), and run it though your resizer. It will leave a disc on the bottom which will act as a seal for your bevel. If it starts leaking, just punch another one through. Sometimes I get over a hundred though before it starts picking up lube, and other times only a few.

Buckshot
10-16-2005, 06:51 AM
............Another way is to place a 35 cal GC under the boolit (cup up) as if you were trying to GC it. On occassion the GC will come out. Since it isn't sized on, it comes off easy and just stick it back in the die and continue. Depending on how big the BB is you might not have any issue anyway. I have the Lyman 147gr mould with a small BB and not enough lube collects there to be a problem. Besides, tests in the 38 Super and just using Lee TL has it doing good work anyway.

...............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
10-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Chris,

I use a rubber O-ring. Takes a few until you get the correct size, but it seems to stay in the die and fills the space which is all you are trying to do.

Shepherd2
10-16-2005, 07:53 AM
NuJudge - I don't think you are going to have much of a problem. I have a 4 cavity 356637 BB mould and I don't get enough lube on the bevel to worry about. I've got a couple other .35 caliber BB moulds that are the same way.

I have a .45 cal BB mould that leaves a lot of lube on the bevel. Like Buckshot I use a gas check only I put the GC in the die cup down. The GC conforms to the base of the bullet and seems to stay in the die better. Once in a while it will stick to the base of a boolit but not very often.

Stepbyrd
05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry to revive an "old" thread but does anyone know of a place to obtain the gaschecks in anything less than 1000. I have a BB .45 cal and I want to try it before I go out and buy 1000. I would hate for it not to work for me and I have a 1000 of them.

felix
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Stepbyrd, measure your bevel base at the very bottom. If it is equal to 0.426 or very slightly smaller, the Hornady checks will work. ... felix

freddyp
05-29-2006, 09:58 PM
I have also had the same problem with my Lyman 450 and the Lee 120fn 9mm bullet. I have a small o-wrench that fits the pressure rod of the Lyman. I place a bullet in the die and size it, while it's down there I apply lube. I simply turn the wrench about a quarter turn and then back it off. Push the handle up and it's done. The trick to it is to make sure that the lube holes in the die don't line up with the bevel. If it does, I fill them with epoxy. If I need the die for another project, the epoxy will drill out very easy with the right size drill bit.

Four Fingers of Death
05-30-2006, 01:16 AM
When I load my lubesized boolits I have a strong piece of brown paper folded over next to the press. As I pick them up, I wipe the bases before seating them in the cases. Never worried too much, but never stoored ammo long before shooting.

dragonrider
05-30-2006, 09:21 AM
I take the pin out of the size die and cut a conterbore in it to match the angle and depth of the BB on the bullet, Works great.

robertbank
05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
My Saecco mold drops a 200 gr LSWC with a bevel base. I have found just wiping the boolits base off on a piece of cloth and have had no problems. What little lube collects on the bevel base seems not to effect performance. I store my lubed boolits in old .45acp plastic cases pending loading.

Take Care