PDA

View Full Version : Lube on base of bevel base bullet

Randall
04-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I have a Lyman 450 sizer and just started casting with a Lee 6 cavity .45 200 grain bevel base mould. How would I keep the lube off the bevel base or do I have to wipe it off every bullet? Would it be doable to face off the top of the mould to get rid if the bevel?

dakotashooter2
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Adjust the depth that you are pushing the bullets in or plug the bottom holes of the sizer die with lead shot.

Calamity Jake
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Facing off the top will lighten the boolet, if that's not a problem for you, go for it.
If you want to keep the weight and still do away with the BB then have it bored out by a machinest.
Plugging the lower lube holes will not stop lube from getting on the bevel, that bevel has to pass by an open lube hole to get the lube groove(s) filled.

Welcome to the nut house!!!!:drinks:

oso
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
What lube are you using? If using a heater back off the temp. Plug the holes at the level of the base and back off the reservoir pressure and only increase the pressure when the bullet is all the way in the die. A little lube on the bevel hasn't been a problem for me (I use FWFL or NRA 50/50) .

Randall
04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I am using a mix of lithium grease and beeswax with a little paraffin to harden, no heater.

454PB
04-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I haven't tried this, and it's not my idea, I saw it on this forum. The guy puts a piece of styrofoam of the correct diameter in the die on top of the center puch. It is resilient and blocks the flow of lube around the bevel base. I think he used a piece of an egg carton.