PDA

View Full Version : Track of the Wolf .32 maxi ball mold?

Kylongrifle
12-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Hey guys, Ive been meaning to pick up this mold for several years now but never have..Ive saw a few threads were guys bought them but never heard any reports back on how the boolits dropped? Anyone have one? Anything to report? Good castings? Thanks

duckey
12-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Well I have only shot the .50 cal maxi ball 370 GN. It is a good accurate bullet and deadly for hunting, I could only imagine it would be great in .32 cal as well.

Bardo
12-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Front band measures .322 and the rest .317 cast from pure lead. I dont have the mold anymore but i got the 6 cavity from TOW. What gun is it going in? A 1/48 is not near fast enough.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?230897-Traditions-Crockett-Maxi-ball&highlight=

Bardo

Kylongrifle
12-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Cherokee 1-30 twist..Ive shot plenty of maxi balls and still have plenty for my .32 but have been wanting a mold. Tired of borrowing one, know what I mean..

Squeeze
12-08-2015, 12:11 PM
I have one, its fine once you get rolling. I just wish mine was a 1-2 cavity. a 6 Banger for a muzzleloader is overkill. If your picky, and weigh and measure, theres always going to be culls. Half the time, I just cull by eye, unless its for something special. That Cherokee 1-30 I consider the benchmark for the caliber, and I own several including customs. If I had to do things again, they would all have that twist.

Kylongrifle
12-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Id buy a regular ol' T/C one if I could but of course we know how that goes now,LOL..My wifes papaw(93 years old, lives just down the holler) has an original .32 TC mold but he still uses it and still shoots..He's the one I got the Cherokee from..Sweet,sweet little guns aint they?

cbashooter
12-10-2015, 03:00 AM
My 1-48 stabilized the 32 maxi just fine.

MFGordon
12-12-2015, 08:49 AM
I have been shooting a .32 Cherokee for over thirty years and most of that has been with maxi balls cast from an original TC mold purchased from Track of the Wolf back in the eighties. The maxi ball shoots better and loads quicker. One drawback is that you absolutely need to run a wet patch down the bore after each shot. Bullets must be lubed and I keep my powder charges low, using a measure made from a 38 special cawhich works out to about 23 grains of 3F. For 100 yard shooting I increase the load to 30 grains and so don't need to alter my sight setting. The maxi ball outshoots the round ball in the Cherokee due to the quicker twist and it's better at bucking the wind when shooting beyond 25 yards. Shooting the maxi ball enables accurate shooting out to 100 yards. At 50 yards I can keep ten shots in a bullseye that appears smaller than the front bead (an NRA police L handgun target).

The maxi ball and Cherokee combination is my favorite whenever I go to my rifle range. And I love outshooting all the Mall Ninjas with their M4 clones.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Lee makes a 32 wadcutter that works fine and is accurate in my Douglas 32 caplock.

If you want to play in the woods with a bit more throw weight in your rifle. Paper patch or use a thinner patch.

BvT

Kylongrifle
12-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I cast a bunch of .32 maxi's from a TC mold today and the front driving band is about .326 on them..Though TC maxi molds always have a larger driving band than Lyman lyman does too.