PDA

View Full Version : Wife took this pic.

Hayfield
04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Wife was walking the dogs down to the meadow this afternoon to check on the winter damage to our picnic area. Lo and behold we have an unusual visitor. I've seen the momma a few times but this one looks to be a 2nd year product. She said it comes into the yard to browse now and then.

Buckshot
04-16-2008, 02:28 AM
...............What kinda deer IS that :-)?

.............Buckshot

warf73
04-16-2008, 03:06 AM
...............What kinda deer IS that :-)?

.............Buckshot

Thats a Lesser Spotted SW PA deer, the NE part of PA has the Great Spotted deer.

dmftoy1
04-16-2008, 07:52 AM
That's pretty cool. Two years ago the local doe had a pair of twins and they would let me get pretty close when brush hogging before they'd run away. I was sitting the stand this year and saw them (still together) as adults. They weren't big enough to go in my freezer so I waited for another one! :)

Have a good one,
Dave

FISH4BUGS
04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
..........she has every morning and evening anywhere from 5-30 wild turkeys. 2 or 3 Toms struttin' their stuff, and the rest females. Boy do they clean everything up, and leave more poop behind than a herd of poodles!
We are putting out cracked corn for them along with the birdseed for the birds. It is fun to see them. I can only wonder what they would taste like??????
Location, Strafford NH - 25 miles inland from the Coast.

blackthorn
04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
We get as many as 14 mule deer on our lawn some days. Just down the road about 2 miles we counted 35 deer in the alfalfa field one late afternoon. We get the odd black bear as well but see more sign than bear! One morning there was a big doe at the window watching the computer screen through the glass while my wife worked. The doe was less than 3 feet away.

kjg
04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
we get those type of deer here in middle georgia near my parents place the state of georgia calls them pibald and are leagle to shoot. kjg

Ricochet
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
They weren't spotted, but last night as I finished shooting my pistols and went to pick up the cans and bottles a couple of does casually browsed up the ridge a few yards away, ignoring me as I spoke to them while cleaning up. I've shot supersonic rifle bullets right over the heads of those deer as they browsed under the 50 yard targets while I was shooting at 100.

Heard yesterday at the gun store that someone had recently brought in cell phone pictures of a mountain lion taken out on that range.

jhalcott
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
from the picture, it looks like some neat camouflage!

Hayfield
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
It is a semi-pibald I suppose. I think that a pibald is all white but not an albino. I'm not certain though. Just a PA whitetail with extra white. The momma has more white than this one. I'm not certain of the genetic robustness of this. But I told the hunters to let it pass last season and was told many times that they had. This is no fawn and I've seen many of them over the years.

madcaster
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Cute lil fella!

RugerFan
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Hayfield;324767]It is a semi-pibald I suppose. I think that a pibald is all white but not an albino. I'm not certain though. QUOTE]

Actually, a piebald is typicallly bown and white blotched, not all white. I saw several of them in Maryland. What you have in the pic is a common looking piepald.

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2003/03/08.html

http://www.kostich.com/piebald_deer.htm