PDA

View Full Version : Savage Factory 12BVSS

FAsmus
12-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Gentlemen;

I am considering a Savage 12BVSS in 7.62x51 these days for long range cast bullet shooting.

Is there anyone out there who either has one or has seen one in action?

Any comments or information would be very welcome.

Thanks, FAsmus

BrassFinger
12-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't have one yet, but I've been seriously looking at them. When I finally pull the trigger (hee hee) I plan to go with the 12 Benchrest model, however, since that's exactly how I plan to shoot it 99% of the time. I'm getting too old to crawl around on the ground for F/TR shooting. The other reason is the 1-12" twist of the Benchrest compared to 1-10" for the BVSS. 10" twist will limit your velocity with cast for long range shooting unless shooting really heavy boolits, and then the short neck of the .308 will force very deep seating into the case.

If you haven't, read up on the "RPM" threads. Filter out the noise and believe the information. It's nothing more than physics, dynamics, and properties of materials at play. Long story short, a 12" twist (or even better a 13" or 14") will allow full "factory" velocity with cast. I know with my old Ruger 77 .30-06 I can't push anything past ~1900 fps before groups that normally hang around 1 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yds. start to go MOPP (minute of pie plate).

Chris

FAsmus
12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Chris;

Ah! I hadn't thought of the short neck, short throat deal.

Here about all I do is the long range shooting with receiver sights - closest target @ 350 yards, (the offhand) moving out from there to 835. Sitting on the ground, cross-stick rest.

I like the 30'06 and 7x57 quite well for this with with the heaviest bullets available from the standard mold-makers.

Sure my avatar shows my M1903 with a 6x Burris but that was just an experiment as I was trying to figure a way to shoot all the way out there with only internal adjustment, beginning at 100 all the way out to 835. It was possible and rather like getting 30 year-old eyes again.

I'm so accustomed to 1:10 twist that going slower just scares me. There is a fellow here who has a 1:12 and he cannot shoot it as well as my old fashioned 1:10's.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

FAsmus

jmort
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
If the short neck is such a big deal with cast, why does most every top competitive cast shooter use the .308, which dominates the .30 caliber? Probably for the same reason that the .308 blew the doors off the .30-06 in jacketed competition.

rancher5
12-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Owner of a Bench rest Savage in 6Br, it's a fantastic gun with many attributes, yes many say you can make one better,tho never quicker.I luv the fact my 6Br can become a 308,6.5 barrel swaps are extremely easy. My Bench ,Tactical 308 is in an older Sako TRG 22,Fantastic rifle,tho pricing these days are extreme, including all assy and parts, Making Savage and extremely affordable long range,modifiable rifle,Happy Shooting 😊 ,beauty of 308 ,extremely long barrel life compared to 306,243,300mag, we'll about any other caliber

Finnmike
12-07-2015, 02:36 PM
For the money, take a look at the custom builds E.R.Shaw is offering. Mighty tempting for the price.
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/sps-the-mk-VII-rifle.php

rockrat
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Haven't started shooting cast out of mine, but even military ball will go under 1moa. Even at 500yds, I can get groups <1moa. Look forward to seeing what it will do with cast.

toallmy
12-08-2015, 08:23 AM
I just picked up my first savage a couple days ago .it is a model 12 bvss in 223 with the internal box . Still waiting on the glass to try it out . My buddies all told me to get the single shot action , but I'm hard headed , they may have been right not shore I like the internal box , but I'm shore I didn't like the detachable one. I can't wait to start tinkering with swapping out parts, my onely concern is it will shoot so good I don't want to change anything , then I will need another one. I suggest going to a big gun shop and pick up one and look at it check the difference in stock shapes and different configurations.

FAsmus
12-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Gentlemen;

Thanks for all of that ~ It sounds like this manufacture and rifle model are well worth the gamble of buying it unseen.

I got to looking at my inventory of molds with the short neck/short throat deal in mind. I have an RCBS 30-200-SIL in hand that does wonderful work in my 30'06 M70. I bet it'll match whatever Savage cuts into their chambers.

- FAsmus

Larry Gibson
12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
........ I can't wait to start tinkering with swapping out parts, my onely concern is it will shoot so good I don't want to change anything , then I will need another one. .........

That was my intention 20+ years ago when I got my M112 Savage Competition in .223. I planned on swapping barrels and cartridges trying other things out, even have a .308 bolt head and a Savage 29" Palma barrel with 13" twist. Haven't been able to change anything as I'm shooting High Master scores on our monthly 300 yard match on the 300/600 reduced target.........still waiting for the original barrel to get shot out.........

Larry Gibson

rancher5
12-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Haven't started shooting cast out of mine, but even military ball will go under 1moa. Even at 500yds, I can get groups <1moa. Look forward to seeing what it will do with cast.
That's impressive, Did not know you could achieve great ballistics with caste bullets, Thanks

toallmy
12-08-2015, 05:44 PM
O k than I will put off another beral and bolt face , just in case I have to just get a whole rifle. Going to be hard to explain that to my little darling.

BrassFinger
12-08-2015, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't say the short neck is a "problem", but it limits how deep you can seat a long boolit while keeping the gas check within the neck which is usually agreed upon as being a good idea for best accuracy. On the flip side, if you are planning on setting up a cast shooting target .308, it is just a matter of having it chambered to match the particular mould you plan to use while seating it at the desired depth.

Said another way, .30-06 is more flexible to seat a wider range of boolit weights in the same gun chamber at the optimum cartridge OAL due to the long neck. But I certainly won't argue that .308 is a wonderfully accurate round.

If the short neck is such a big deal with cast, why does most every top competitive cast shooter use the .308, which dominates the .30 caliber? Probably for the same reason that the .308 blew the doors off the .30-06 in jacketed competition.

jmort
12-08-2015, 10:00 PM
"Said another way, .30-06 is more flexible to seat a wider range of boolit weights in the same gun chamber at the optimum cartridge OAL due to the long neck"

​Sure enough. Greater flexibility.

Clay M
12-08-2015, 10:13 PM
I have the Savage 112 BVSS in .308 I special ordered it with the target action.
It is a lovely shooter with jacketed bullets. My favorite load with the Sierra 168 BT Match will consistently do 1/2 MOA
I have not tried it with cast ,but I know that the rifle dominates the game with the Cast Bullet Association matches.

It is not my most accurate .308, but it is second..

I really like the Accutrigger, but my best rifle has a Jewell trigger.
No comparison.

FAsmus
12-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Larry;

It was good to see one of your posts again. ~ My! that is one BIG bolt!

Roger the comments about 30'06 v 308 et-all. I've seen the good stuff 308 has done for all these years but the only one I have is a Type 38 JAP carbine I rebarreled. The reamer cut a nice throat - exactly right for the RCBS 30-180-SP but the rifle is handicapped by the short sight radius since I contoured the barrel to match the original JAP stock.

The 12VBSS in 7.62x51 idea was long on research so I'm extra glad to see such encouraging feed-back.

Since you have one Larry and I see the exotic iron you have installed what would be a more ordinary receiver sight set-up that you could recommend for my long range cast bullet activities? ~ For example, I'd like very much to be able to get enough travel to set a 100 yard 'zero' and still move to 800+ without resorting to sight extensions of one kind or another.

Good evening, FAsmus

CLAYPOOL
12-08-2015, 11:35 PM
To "TOMYALL" you could buy one of those adapters that you lay in the top of your magazine to convert it to a single shot. They Are called single shot followers , I think.

Frank46
12-09-2015, 12:03 AM
I've a savage 110FP in 308, don't know what twist it has. Bought it about 20 years ago and had to bed the front of the receiver and recoil lug. Action was shifting with each stock. After that shot better than my sendero in the same caliber. This rifle has the long action due to it's age. Tried some 7.62x51 match in it when I got it way back when. Ten shots in 1.5" at 100 yds. Has the crappy rynite plastic stock. Seem to remember writing to savage and asking if the laminated heavy stock would accomodate the long action and savage wrote back that it would. Frank

toallmy
12-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks Claypool will look into the " single shot follower " all my shooting will be off a bench , but you never know.

JSH
12-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Savage F/TR mine doesn't shine until about 400 yards. FYI, this isn't a CB shooter as of yet, all jacketed. It does an honest 1 1/2" group on demand at 100. That doesn't sound good to some folks, but that is with any mediocre shooter and better at the trigger, day in and day out.
At 400-1000 yards it does MOA or sub on a good day when the trigger man is alert to conditions.

I have to say these rifles are the best out of the box and go shoot for the money. Have a 6.5-284 spotted that I keep telling my self NO on.
Jeff

Larry Gibson
12-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Larry;

It was good to see one of your posts again. ~ My! that is one BIG bolt!

.......Since you have one Larry and I see the exotic iron you have installed what would be a more ordinary receiver sight set-up that you could recommend for my long range cast bullet activities? ~ For example, I'd like very much to be able to get enough travel to set a 100 yard 'zero' and still move to 800+ without resorting to sight extensions of one kind or another.

Good evening, FAsmus

Not really an "exotic" sight as such. The rear and front sights are the Redfield Palma Sights. They can be found along with the Redfield Olympic sights for reasonable prices, not cheap but still reasonable, on the used for sale forums or at gun shows. You will need bases which are also available used or new from Champions Choice. I have a Ghemahn adjustable aperture in mine which is also available at Champions Choice with the adapter. The standard target aperture which comes with the Redfield Palma is quite useable though. Either of those receiver sights will get you from a 100 yard to 100+ yards if the front sight is set up at the correct height to begin with. The Palma sight has 75 moa elevation adjustment.

Other "more modern" receiver sights are available but they'll cost quite a bit more.

Larry Gibson

ericp
12-10-2015, 09:43 AM
While I have not handled a 12BVSS they are immensely popular in the CBA production class benchrest matches.

Eric

FAsmus
12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Larry;

Thinks for the information - I'll follow it up.

For many years I have looked for and found older receiver sights at Shows and made them work.

Usually, even with the correct height front sight it has been necessary to use home-made extensions for these sights since when shooting at 830+ yards elevations are quite high for the sights that were originally designed with just 60' of travel.

~ Sure that would be plenty for jacketed shooting but with rather blunt cast bullets starting out at 1750 -1900 or so they run short.

Good morning, Forrest

FAsmus
12-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Eric;

Yes, that was one of the main reasons I encouraged my son to get one.

FAsmus

rhbrink
12-10-2015, 12:13 PM
If you decide to shoot it in the CBA matches you can ream the throat out a bit to except the longer bullets. I don't know about the other types of competition.

RB

FAsmus
12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
RB:

I am a long-time supporter of the Postal Matches and scored targets for them for a number of years.

I know about relieving throats but I'd much rather locate a bullet mold design that would provide a long, long nose and short driving band.

Such things like the RCBS 30-200-SIL or the SAECO #311 will be in the running - the RCBS is in my inventory and will be first to try.

FAsmus

Tom W.
12-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I had a single shot model 12 bvss in .308 . 500 yards was noproblem, 1000 yards just a bit, but mostly because there were very few places to shoot that far.RL 15 worked wonders with a 167 gr. Hornady. My attempts with cast was a dismal failure. I believe I tried to push them too fast and got patterns instead of groups. Cast works really wellin my 30/06

mfraser264
12-26-2015, 05:51 PM
This make and model of rifle is referenced in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition, page 74. The caption for the picture will all the targets lists a load with Lyman 314299. Smallest group was .495 and the largest at 100 yards was 1.806. This rifle will work with lead alloy cast bullets. Check it out, not just the picture and caption but the book itself, very good overall. Also check out the Cast Bullet Association, they are on the forefront of lead alloy cast bullets development and have active shoots country wide. From reading the competition notes there is always a Savage rifle in the meet. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/

FAsmus
01-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Gentlemen;

The first try with RCBS 30-200-SIL was a dismal failure.

We loaded 30 rounds with 18.5 grains IMR 4759 - a conventional load and postal match winner for the 308.

At the range it was strangely difficult to get on the paper with the usual bore-sighting techniques. When the paper was eventually found I did not adjust the sight any further (12X Leupold, target knobs & parallax adjustment) but continued to fire at my several bull's eyes.

It was hopeless. The final and best 'group' was 5x2.500 the ten shot went to 10x4.200. Wild, crazy shooting.

I didn't understand it at all until I took the targets home and carefully looked at the holes. ~ The paper showed that the bullets were yawing slightly.

I checked the twist, specified at 1:10. It is right-on. No leading, running clean. I was left to think that the rifle simply doesn't like the form of 30-200-SIL.

So, I recomended that we try Sierra 168 gr Match BT over 45 grains WW 760 just to see what we could see. The shorter bullet over a regular smokeless combination printed 5x0.800 or so.

It is pretty cold for any shooting these days in Northern Wyoming, so, further testing with say RCBS 30-180-SP will have to wait until the next day it warms up to 40 degrees.

Good morning, Forrest

mfraser264
01-22-2016, 07:33 PM
If you would like to try a sample of the .30 XCB bullets on the bench I have a few as cast that I can part with. They are cast in linotype and they are the best to date of 5 .30 caliber styles I have tried. My barrel is a 1:20 on my Savage .308. Search .30 XCB if you want pages and pages of reading. Send me PM if you are interested.

FAsmus
01-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Fraser:

We'll follow up on your offer soon. ~ It kind of depends on what results I see tomorrow with a couple new combinations..

Forrest

FAsmus
01-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Gentlemen;

Yesterday was a shooting day for the M12. Again, results were disappointing.

Our loads were conventional cast bullet combinations: The RCBS 30-180-SP and Lee C309-200R, both loaded over 18.5 Grains 4759. The Lee was hopeless, going wide - too terrible to bother measuring. The RCBS was marginally better, managing to 'group' something like 10x2.750.

Now, really, I know the bullets are not scrap ~ They perform very well in other rifles. Procedures are pretty much proven as reliable. ~ Frankly I'm mystified.

On the other hand I'm challenged as well: I'm going to get the bottom of this is it takes all summer 2016!

The next plan is to go back to my lightest RCBS, the 30-165-SP and load it up with fully moderate to HV levels of velocity. The next good weather day will be this coming week, the 28th January. Then I will know more.

Forrest

Clay M
01-24-2016, 04:53 PM
I am going to try the Lyman #311299 in my rifle as soon as the weather gets better.

robg
01-24-2016, 05:02 PM
My savage 116 in 308 is 1 in 10 barrel shoots 1"at 100 yards with 180gr Lee boolit with 18gr of 2400 .drops about a foot at 200 yards.just wish I could be as accurate on a regular basis.

FAsmus
01-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Gentlemen;

I took over the loading/shooting operations of the M12. My son is willing but I have to face it, I've been at this far longer. ~ I spent the 25th working on the cases used so far.

My son had ordered them somewhere as 'good quality, inexpensive, once-fired commercial brass'. See my thread "Adventures in "Once fired brass" that began with his first try with 7.62x51 cases fired in an automatic weapon of some kind. This GI brass in question wound up getting sent to a holding pattern. He learned about dealing with military cases from all that, turned around and bought the commercial version ~ better but still lots of work compared to new brass and it ususlly comes all mixed up as per head-stamps & brands.

Also, it turned out that all the FL sizing he did on this lot of cases was done in a standard RCBS die - with the conventional 0.307 expander button. The resulting tight necks were the problem ~ bullet-pull was way too heavy, screwing up the works big-time.

I went through the brass, sizing and opening them up properly. I also sorted the cases to uniform head stamps for each load I wanted to test.

The bullets were heat-treated RCBS 30-180-SP and RCBS 30-165-SIL loaded over medium-high levels of Varget snd IMR 4895. ~ The rifle instantly performed very well. Groups printed right around 5x1.150 on average and this with my rusty bench techniques behind the butt stock.

Good news this time - Forrest

Clay M
03-06-2016, 05:33 PM
We took the Savage out today. Just testing some target loads .I let my son shoot it at 240 yds.
He got a nice 1/2 MOA five shot group with Nosler brass, Fed 210 Match primer,43 grs of Varget ,and a Sierra 175 gr match bullet. I shot a group almost as good with the Sierra 168 Match bullet and Rel 15.

Still testing the rifle and working on loads.
I have not tried the gun with cast bullets yet , but will sometime this year..
So far I believe this rifle is a good one. Mine has the target action.

My son is mister magnifico with a rifle. I may never be able to beat him again.:-)

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-07-2016, 12:21 AM
jmort,

As to why the 308 is so popular in cast matches; because they throat the barrel waaaaaaaaaaaaay out and single load. I've measured rounds at CBA matches in 308 Win that were over 31/4" long.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-07-2016, 12:28 AM
Forest,

I shot Hunter Class Benchrest for several years using a custom built Remington 700 in tight neck 308Win with a three-lever 1 3/8ths of an ounce trigger. One summer, John Ambler won a big match at the Golden (CO) Range with six pieces of brass he picked up the afternoon before the match. Two different military head stamped cases, and one each Rem, Win, Federal, and a DWM somebody left laying behind the firing line. He turned the casenecks to fit his chamber, trimmed them to length, and did the primer pockets and flashholes. It taught everybody there a big lesson about what a case's contribution is to accuracy. I finished 7th in the TCL league that year out of over 400 shooters, and was top five in every match I shot, so I can say I knew a little about the game.

Clay M
03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
jmort,

As to why the 308 is so popular in cast matches; because they throat the barrel waaaaaaaaaaaaay out and single load. I've measured rounds at CBA matches in 308 Win that were over 31/4" long.

I figured they had the guns custom throated.
I am not going to throat mine.
I can't use my rifle in any of their matches anyway as I have the target action.

I will probably give the rifle to my son at some point.
I have never seen him so excited to shoot.

FAsmus
03-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Idaho Sharpshooter (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?1215-Idaho-Sharpshooter);

Roger the way cases can overhauled to perform well.

For me it was a surprize to run into such difficulty - but it was a long time since I did such careful case preparations: The brass I use has been steadily in use like, forever.

It took me a little time to remember myself - just out of the Navy with my DCM M-1. I ordered 2000 "once fired" cases to feed it. ~ Once I made that connection it all came back.

I learned that lesson, including the one about chasing brass all over the countryside. ~ It wasn't long before I swapped off the M-1 and took the 1850 unused cases to the re-cycling place.

Forrest

FAsmus
03-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Idaho Sharpshooter (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?1215-Idaho-Sharpshooter);

Golden?

I entered the Coors Scheutzenfest back there in 1984 with my FBW chambered in 30 Herrett LN. I'd never done that before. Iron & scope 10th overall. (the 'LN' is for 'Long neck' because I left the necks standard 30/30 length)

Those were days when I took LOTS of time in case preparation!

These days the FBW is in 44/65 shooting a custom 500 grain bullet.

Good evening, Forrest

Clay M
03-07-2016, 11:04 PM
For me the Savage BVSS .308 is a tool to finish training my son what I have left to show him.He is a brilliant marksman,that I have trained from the time he was six.
I am old now ,and my best days as a shooter are over.
I have a cataract starting in my right eye.
My long range vision is a problem.

My son has a gift, and I know he will do well.
I have more things that I want to show him before I pass.
The most enjoyable time I spend now, is the time we spend shooting together.
This Savage is the rifle.

MakeMineLead
03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
I have the Savage 12 Benchrest w/ the match action (load from one side an eject out the other) the trigger came from the factory set @ 8 Oz. It's a .308, and was was broken in with just 9 rounds of Nosler 168 BTHP. But I still did the one-shot-clean for a total of 15 rounds.

I also have a Savage 10FCP IN .308, it too shoots light-out w/ the Nosler 168's and 4064.

I want to try shooting both w/ the Lee 150 cast. I found this bullet seems to work very well in short-throat guns.

I have an FN made, post-War, Mauser 98 contract rifle with a 17" barrel in 30/06. The throat is short. The Lee 150 is the only Boolit which fits it. It shoots extremely well!

Clay M
03-10-2016, 06:36 PM
I have the Savage 12 Benchrest w/ the match action (load from one side an eject out the other) the trigger came from the factory set @ 8 Oz. It's a .308, and was was broken in with just 9 rounds of Nosler 168 BTHP. But I still did the one-shot-clean for a total of 15 rounds.

I also have a Savage 10FCP IN .308, it too shoots light-out w/ the Nosler 168's and 4064.

I want to try shooting both w/ the Lee 150 cast. I found this bullet seems to work very well in short-throat guns.

I have an FN made, post-War, Mauser 98 contract rifle with a 17" barrel in 30/06. The throat is short. The Lee 150 is the only Boolit which fits it. It shoots extremely well!

I am considering buying the Model 12 Benchrest as a replacement for the 12 BVSS that I will give my son.
It comes with the 12" twist.

Would you buy the Model 12 Benchrest rifle again?
The 10" twist on the BVSS shoots well with the Sierra 175 gr bullets.

MakeMineLead
03-11-2016, 12:03 AM
Yes! I would buy one again. It's as close to a custom rifle as you can get, right out of a factory.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageonBench2-1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavagetriggerWeight.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageWeaver2.jpg

Clay M
03-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Wow what a fine looking rifle. I want one..
That is the type rifle I would really enjoy.
Thanks for posting the photos.

FAsmus
03-12-2016, 04:34 PM
"Make Mine Lead":

Humm ~ That tray of cartridges kind of look like Jacketed loads to me ..

Forrest

MakeMineLead
03-17-2016, 03:00 PM
"Make Mine Lead"

Humm ~ That tray of cartridges kind of look like Jacketed loads to me ..

Forrest

Yup! The pic was taken during barrel break-in. I asked the LGS about getting me the rifle. His wholesalers were all saying 3-4 month wait, because Savage wouldn't make another run of them until then. There was (and still is) one on GB. So, I did a BIN and had it in a week. I already had a Weaver 36X, and a set of brushed-finish nickel, Burris Signature See rings in my parts stash. I got the Weaver bases in a blister pack from Wally-World.

I can actually shoot it "free recoil"! The 8oz trigger can just be pinched to fire the rifle, W/O it coming back to smack you. The left load, right eject feature is the goods.

I do want to shoot cast in this rifle.

Any new center-fire rifle I buy will be Savage.

On on the other hand, I will never buy another Savage rimfire rifle again.

Clay M
03-29-2016, 06:11 PM
It was a beautiful day at the range with my son.
He built a target stand for 600 yds. I got to try out my Leupold RX 1000i range finder.
The stand was actually 610 yds.

First time ever shooting at 600 prone position.
I used the same target load with the Sierra 175gr match king ,Nosler brass, CCI BR primers, and 43 grs of Varget.

My best group was 4.5" for three shots. My sons group was about five inches.

The mirage was heavy , but not much wind.

I am impressed with the Savage..
It is not a race gun with a Krieger barrel, but I believe MOA five shot groups are achievable.

I am pleased with the rifle for what I paid for it.

Clay M
04-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Took my Model 70 target rifle out today.
It destroyed the Savage.
It has a 3 oz Jewell trigger ,and a Leupold MK4 8.5X25 scope.
My son was getting less than 1/2 MOA at 200 yds.

It is my best rifle.
Cleaned the Win after fifty rounds. Virtually no copper in the bore.
I gave my son the best 200 acres I own for his 29th birthday.
If he wants to compete, he can have the rifle too.

Guess I have very little left to teach him about shooting.
I trained him from the time he was six years old.

He is brilliant, and a master with a gun.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-04-2016, 02:09 AM
I just bought the SS twenty years ago, and had it throated for good old 311284. 311332 shoots as well. Both molds are old Lyman single cavity.

I've been thinking 6.5-284 for about a year now. My OM 70 Target '06 barrel shot out last year, and I am going to send it to Bartlein to be rebarreled to the 6.5-284 NORMA chamber.
It will be interesting to see how it shoots PC from the old 140gr Lyman.

FAsmus
04-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Clay;

One half MOA @ 200 yards!

My! What cast bullet load are you shooting?

I do have a very nice M70 in 30'06 myself you see..

My load is 34 grains 4895 and the RCBS 30-200-SIL.

Forrest

Clay M
04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Clay;

One half MOA @ 200 yards!

My! What cast bullet load are you shooting?

I do have a very nice M70 in 30'06 myself you see..

My load is 34 grains 4895 and the RCBS 30-200-SIL.

Forrest

We weren't shooting cast. Just some target loads I worked up in the rifle long ago.
My son had never shot a gun that accurate , he is still talking about it today.
I have never tried cast in that rifle.
It doesn't have a particularly long throat, but the barrel is top notch.
I believe I will try the Lyman 311299.
I bought this Winchester back in 94, my shooting buddy also bought one, and his never shot as well as mine.
It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

FAsmus
04-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Clay;

Here is our firing line and my M70.

This barrel has a counted 12,000 rounds through it and still easily shoots MOA.

I finally had to go to the 4X scope since the blur in the middle of the peep was getting too hard to see in flat lighting conditions.

Forrest

Clay M
04-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Is that an old pre '64?

FAsmus
04-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Clay;

Unfortunately not.

I bought it new in 1980 and did not fire it even once until the gunsmith re-barreled it to Douglas Premium back in my jacketed days.

When the hard bullets, heavy loads and cleaning wore that one out I had it done again and chambered for 30 Herritt LN. For loading all I had to do was block the magazine well and cut down the rims of the 30 Herritt cases, loading single shot.

I did not count the 30 Herritt loads I fired - or lost the records - but by & by I rechambered that same barrel back to 30/06 ~ there it has remained for these last 12,000 rounds.

Forrest

Clay M
04-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I believe I lucked out and somehow got an exceptional barrel on my .308
Or maybe it was just a very good time of production for Winchester.
I may have bought the rifle new in 93 ,
Thinking back that seems more logical.
It loves Reloader 15 and Varget.

Are you using H4895 or IMR?

FAsmus
04-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Clay;

I've always used IMR powders.

My M1908 Bazillion Mauser in re-barreled 7x57 shoots wonderfully well with Accurate 2495BR ~ now if I could just FIND some more of it it would make my day.

Forrest

Clay M
04-05-2016, 06:46 PM
The thing I love most about this model 70 is that it is consistently accurate.
What it does today ,it will also do tomorrow.

I am guessing that most of your 12000 rounds fired were cast bullets as the barrel would have been worn out ages ago for shooting that much copper.

FAsmus
04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Clay;

Of course!

Shooting jacketed would also have driven me bankrupt!

Forrest