PDA

View Full Version : A funny exchange at the range

Love Life
12-06-2015, 06:22 PM
There I was, larger than life. I had already signed in to be allowed to shoot on the king's land, had dropped of 250 rds of 22 mag ammo at the table with a note that read "Free" (in hindsight, I should have written happy holidays on it as an experiment), and was at the firing line.

2 families were there with a bunch of kids (great to see). One man was helping them learn the basics. He was law enforcement. I deduced this after listening to the statement being made numerous times.

Anywho, nothing drastic going on until the double action revolver comes out. The "instructor" was having the man practice double action dry fire since he had never worked a revolver before. You could see the man was having issues working it double action. So our friendly RSO (who happens to be a member for the 2650 club) walks over and the following exchange occurs:

RSO: Try single action.
"Instructor: That's cheating.
RSO: Well...then cheat! At least he'll actually have a better chance of hitting the target! (at this point I started giggling like a school girl)

Pause for build up while "Instructor" thinks of something, and then it happened.

"Instructor": Well, in my law enforcement background, I can't think of a single instance of when you'd shoot single action.
RSO: I'm a national champion, and I shoot single action every time.

At this point I was openly guffawing. Tit for tat and well played, Sir. I then proceeded to eat a bag of chips and then get on with my shooting.

It was a good range trip.

JSnover
12-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Too many "professionals" try to teach newbies how to run before they learn to walk… Glad to hear someone tuned him up.

knifemaker
12-06-2015, 06:56 PM
As a retired law enforcement firearms instructor and many years of shooting pistol matches, I can think of many times where single action shooting can be applied. I have seen officers that took their shooting ability very serious and were outstanding shooters. On the other hand I have seen officers that felt having to qualify on the range was a pain in the butt. I bet you can guess which ones were the lousy shooters.

Love Life
12-06-2015, 07:09 PM
He actually wasn't to bad, and the only faux pas was the single action thingy. You know, it never ceases to amaze me the shooters I get the opportunity to run into.

jcwit
12-06-2015, 07:19 PM
RSO's first name didn't happen to start with a 'B', did it?

Love Life
12-06-2015, 07:21 PM
No. His first name starts with a 'P'.

str8shot426
12-06-2015, 07:26 PM
One of many reasons I haven't tried to join a club.
Has to be quite entertaining from time to time I imagine.

bedbugbilly
12-06-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm glad I pretty much shoot alone and have a range on the farm . . sometimes I have enough trouble hitting what I'm shooting at . . . but when I'm laughing, I might as well pack it up! LOL

MUSTANG
12-06-2015, 07:52 PM
My wife has difficulties with double action on her revolvers due to her hand strength. Years ago I taught her how to rapidly thumb cock and shoot using two hands, she can do well rapid fire and is accurate out to 25 yards. the EXPERTS may not like it, but it works.

MT Gianni
12-06-2015, 07:55 PM
One of the joys of a target masterpiece Smith is the DA pull. If properly tuned you can run it smoothly and have more fun than you can imagine. Thanks for sharing that.

Love Life
12-06-2015, 08:03 PM
I have a S&W model 28 slicked up by Mr. Warren at BC Armory. Double action is smooth as glass, and single action I scary. I shoot it double action 90% of time because the single action is light enough that I don't well with it, lol.

I didn't target good today, and knew after the first few magazines of hardball that I was just making noise.

It was quite nice to see all the kids out shooting.

Win94ae
12-06-2015, 08:09 PM
No, no, no, no... no! In my experience, being internet expert! You get a single action, then fan the hammer!

Kraschenbirn
12-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Too many "professionals" try to teach newbies how to run before they learn to walk… Glad to hear someone tuned him up.

When I took the Illinois CCW class, the instructor...who also teaches "tactical" and "advanced defensive" courses...told me that I should modify my grip. I've got large hands and wrap the index finger of my weak hand around the front of the trigger guard and he teaches the "Glock" grip with the weak hand forefinger laid along the side of the frame. Now, I'm not exactly a "newbie"...I no longer shoot formal competition but, over the 30+ years that I did (IPSC, USPAS, Bowling Pin, NRA Action Pistol, IHMSA, etc.) I managed to pretty well hold my own, even twice finishing in the top ten of the "Amateur" division of the old Smith & Wesson Masters...so I've got a better'n average idea of what works for me and what doesn't.

When we shot the live-fire qualification, I put all 30 rounds inside the 10-ring of a B-27 target, shooting double-action with my 3" SP101 and, afterward, he comes over and says he'd like to see me change over to a "modern" gun...in his mind a striker-fired auto...for carry. Guess you just can't satisfy some people no matter what you do.

Bill

leadman
12-07-2015, 11:54 PM
My initial CCW was taught by a Marine Gunnery Sargeant transitioning out of the service. He had great disdain for my Makarov. When I shot the center out of the target while he was helping another shooter he came back and made me reshoot my target. He could not believe that the Makarov was capable of shooting like it did.

Hardcast416taylor
12-08-2015, 12:06 AM
When I taught a newbie to shoot a handgun (revolver) I always started them with single action for several sessions. After they had built up a confidence level then and only then would I slowly work them into double action. I even used this method with LEO`s that only shot a pistol once a year (usually a turnkey or other office personell) from a local dept. so they could qualify. Build up confidence and the student will learn a bit faster and more accurately.Robert

M-Tecs
12-08-2015, 12:25 AM
I grew up in the 70's shooting with national champion PPC LE's so I understood at a young age what serious shooters are capable of. The reality is most LE are not serious shooters and make really lousy coaches.

What I truly enjoy are the SWAT members that show up to a High Power match for the first time. Big talk and big egos thinking the will win the match. After coming last or next to last most don't come back. The serious ones that stay at eventual earn a master card or high master card. The only shooters that tend to do well the first time on the High Power matches are small bore shooter.

dale2242
12-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Years ago I rented from a city police officer.
He was the handgun training coach for the city.
I was a decent shot, but no expert , by any means and could outshoot him easily.
It made me somewhat concerned for the safety of the local LEOs if they could not shoot better than him....dale

LynC2
12-08-2015, 09:47 AM
I grew up in the 70's shooting with national champion PPC LE's so I understood at a young age what serious shooters are capable of. The reality is most LE are not serious shooters and make really lousy coaches.

What I truly enjoy are the SWAT members that show up to a High Power match for the first time. Big talk and big egos thinking the will win the match. After coming last or next to last most don't come back. The serious ones that stay at eventual earn a master card or high master card. The only shooters that tend to do well the first time on the High Power matches are small bore shooter.

LOL, I saw the same thing happen at one of our matches years ago. They were strutting around like banty roosters until the match results. Never saw them again. :bigsmyl2:

Djones
12-08-2015, 09:48 AM
I didn't know I was "cheating" when I shoot deer with my SBH

JeffinNZ
12-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Does the "instructor" let the hammer down on his Beretta 9mm each time he shoots?

MUSTANG
12-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Does the "instructor" let the hammer down on his Beretta 9mm each time he shoots?

My Beretta 9mm gets let down once a month when cleaned and returned to the safe. But...., in the case of the 1911's they seem to have the hammer let down quite often, with a rebound awaiting the next let down with the squeeze of the trigger.

MT Gianni
12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Years ago I rented from a city police officer.
He was the handgun training coach for the city.
I was a decent shot, but no expert , by any means and could outshoot him easily.
It made me somewhat concerned for the safety of the local LEOs if they could not shoot better than him....dale
Dale, it the 80's there was some emphasis on meeting training with the bare minimum. IOW, if you qualified with a perfect score and some one decided to sue you and the Dept. for a shooting, it would somehow be of interest. The feeling was you could have shot the person in the leg or somewhere non lethal to stop the conflict because you shoot perfectly. Not an issue if you qualified at the minimum 70%. God forbid the suit if a bystander, presumed innocent was injured.