PDA

View Full Version : 223 die to make .357 jackets

kawalekm
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Since my "40S&W case to 44Mag bullet" project was so successful, I've started looking at what other cases could be used to make bullet jackets. Earlier I posted a suggestion about using a .223 sizing die for making .357 jackets out of 380Auto cases. I've purchased a Lee RGB die set and started experimenting. My original idea was to drill a .354" hole through the top of the die and push the cases through the die.

Well, the die sort of laughed at my drill bit, and I decided to try a second idea. I drove the case up into the die body (heavily lubed), and then drove the case back out with a steel rod going through the threaded decapping pin hole.

That works! I'm able to reduce the size of the case as much as .352", but driving the case back out with a rod and mallet results in some jacket deformation. If I want to do it that way I may want to rig up an automatic ejector as described by Swagerman in his earlier post.

I'm still inclined to make it a push through die for maximum output, but drilling through hardened steel presents a problem. I can think of a couple of alternatives to finish it. First, I could anneal the top of the die with a torch to soften the steel enough for a regular drill bit. I would try this with most of the die immersed in water to localize heat close to where I'm drilling. Alternatively, I could purchase a carbide (or whatever) bit that's hard enough to cut through 50 Rockwell hardness steel. EDM is a third possibility. One big consideration though is cost. I don't want to spend 50$ drilling a hole in a 12$ die. Suggestions please!
Michael

454PB
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I recently drilled a Lee reloading die for one of Swagerman's projects. I used HSS drill bits, fairly slow RPM's, a good cutting oil, and had to resharpen the bits several times. I works, you just need to be patient, feed slowly and clear the flutes frequently, and keep them sharp.

kawalekm
04-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi 454Pb
I'm going to have to go to a machinist store to buy good drill bits. When you drilled your hole, did you go straight with the final diameter drill bit, or did you start small and work your uay up to final diameter? I think I do need to buy a set of "real" drill bits, because some of the ones I have now are a joke.
Michael

ktw
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Since my "40S&W case to 44Mag bullet" project was so successful, I've started looking at what other cases could be used to make bullet jackets.

When y'all first started talking about this I went and took some measurements, too. A 45ACP shell casing looks to be the right size for a jacket for the 475/480 handgun rounds.

-ktw

MightyThor
04-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Chop saw!!! yeah.

454PB
04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
When you drilled your hole, did you go straight with the final diameter drill bit, or did you start small and work your uay up to final diameter? I think I do need to buy a set of "real" drill bits, because some of the ones I have now are a joke.
Michael

I drilled in steps of around .030" at a time. My bits are "oriental", but seem to be of good quality. There are 110 of them in the full set as I recall. You have to hit that happy medium between too expensive for hobby work and too cheap to ever work.

NoDakJak
04-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Several months ago I needed to shorten a Lee die from the bottom. I chucked it into the lathe and found that my bit wouldn't touch it. Fi nally left it running in the lathe and used the Dremel tool with cutoff wheel to cut it. I t took two discs. Those puppies are damed hard on the bottom. I don't know about the top. Cutting the entire top off would seem to be the easiest and maybe best way to go. Neil

georgeld
04-18-2008, 02:14 AM
I turned the bottom ring off several Lee and RCBS shell holders that aredamned hard.
Used a carbide bit and cut it nicely.

Instead of screwing with dies, why don't you just order bullet sizing dies the dia you want from Lee?????

They have quite a selection and will make any size you want for a price.

yarro
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
8mm Mauser is .357 for the neck diameter. Cut the die shorter for a reduced stroke.

-Yarro

kawalekm
06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Yarro
Now that was useful information, thank you. It looks like another possibility would be a .32 winchester. Since I've already purchased the .223 dies to mutilate, I'll still try that first. I've been quiet on this topic for a while because I have discovered just how hard a reloading die actually is. Even cobalt bits didn't even scratch it. If I still want to stick with the original idea, I'll have to anneal the .223 die first. I haven't given up yet, just set back a bit.
Michael

scrapcan
06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Or maybe you could talk to Buckshot about making you a custom pushthru die for your purposes. It will be interesting to see what you folks come up with.

georgeld
06-21-2008, 12:11 AM
AND I repeat.

Just order the proper sized bullet sizing die from Lee. Tell 'em the size you want.
Problem solved.

It takes carbide to cut or drill 'em. you can buy carbide drill bits, cheaper to buy the sizing die though.

Good luck and have fun. Enjoy your challenge's n life.