PDA

View Full Version : AR Style Rifles "Buttons"?????????

jcwit
12-04-2015, 12:40 PM
I know little about AR style rifles, not because I have anything against them or people owning them, I just like Wood & Steel rifles such as WW2 bolt actions and Garand's & M14's.

Now with that said while just now watching FOX News Greg 'whats his name' stated there is a "button" one can push with a bullet tip on the AR style weapons to make them full auto?????????????????????????????

Oh Really?

Somehow I doubt this statement by Greg 'whatshisname'.

jcwit
12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
What is this "button" they speak of?

Schrag4
12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
My understanding is that California law states that an AR (and other rifles?) cannot have the standard button to drop a mag, but instead needs a "bullet button" installed in its place. The idea is that if you have to use the tip of a bullet to drop the mag, it will take longer to do mag changes.

Of course the fallacy of this is that it's super-easy to take apart your lower receiver and put it back together with a standard mag drop button, so anyone planning on carrying out an attack can restore it to normal working order in an hour or so, if they're relatively inexperienced like me (less if they know what they're doing).

That's probably what he was talking about. It has nothing to do with how many rounds the gun can fire with each pull of the trigger.

Ickisrulz
12-04-2015, 12:48 PM
I just saw that guy taking about that magic button on Fox. He had very little idea of what he was talking about--but seemed confident nonetheless.

"Bullet Buttons" make it harder to change magazines than just pressing the magazine release. You have to insert a pointy object into the button to release the magazine.

Idz
12-04-2015, 12:51 PM
But changing an AR back to a standard mag release is illegal in CA. The terrorists wouldn't break the law!

M-Tecs
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Fox is making the "correction" in the next hour.

gray wolf
12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
My understanding is that California law states that an AR (and other rifles?) cannot have the standard button to drop a mag, but instead needs a "bullet button" installed in its place. The idea is that if you have to use the tip of a bullet to drop the mag, it will take longer to do mag changes.

exactly what it is.

jcwit
12-04-2015, 01:10 PM
So once again Gregg Jarrett has no idea what he's talking about, likely never saw an AR rifle in real life let alone touched one.

At the most and I'm REALLY reaching here, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's repeating what somewhat told him, should know better, after all he is a lawyer.

Blackwater
12-04-2015, 01:24 PM
I think you nailed it there, jc. Those folks really don't seem to get out much, and after a while, think a mike is just another natural appendage. Even Fox's crew don't have much of a clue when it comes to guns, and the few that do never seem to be the ones who draw the segment where their knowledge would be useful. The rest of the media would likely fire any reporter that acknowledged they even knew anything about guns, much less HAD one! And THIS is where most folks get their "knowledge" about guns, gun control, terrorism, and so many other things in our world today. Is it any wonder we're sinking like we are? As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does." And as Clint Eastwood said, "I reckon so."

lefty o
12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
he had probably been briefed as to exactly what it was, and its just a shot at sensationalizing something.

dkf
12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
It amazes how these guys suck so bad at doing a little research. Spending 5 minutes on the internet doing a little research can keep you from looking like a complete moron. It is not 1967 anymore, we have a lot of information at our fingertips which most people carry around with the everywhere they go.

Rufus Krile
Another thing to remember about Jarrett is that he's just recently returned from an extended sabbatical... which might, uncharitably, be called drying out. He's been known to pull a cork. Having a predilection toward such a thing myself, I am quite ready to forgive and forget minor transgressions like these. But calling obvious AR-platforms "Kalashnikovs" and "AK-47's" is beyond the pale... probably has both Eugene and Vasily rolling over in their graves.

Duckiller
California law says you can't have a removable magazine if your gun has about 5 other features that idiot legislators don't like or think look scary. If you don't want to open up your gun every time you want to reload you can replace the button to drop your magazine with a button that requires a tool to operate. The point of a bullet has been deemed a tool thus some California legal ARs have bullet buttons. My AR has a stock that does not have the typical pistol grip seen on ARs and therefore does not need a bullet button, but has a standard magazine release. I have seen pictures of the shooters' guns but did they have greater than 10 round magazines? Every LEO had a large capacity magazine in his/her rifle. Not sure why LEOs can have these mags after the fact and I can't have some to defend myself from criminals.

\

bubba.50
12-04-2015, 03:38 PM
his teleprompter didn't get to actually look at the "evil black rifle".

frkelly74
12-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Truthfully, I did not know what they were talking about either when they were saying "Bullet button" . I only knew that if Ms Feinstein was for it I was against it. I can therefore, forgive some motormouthed news head with nice hair for having not the slightest idea of what he was talking about, after all, I didn't know either. But it really doesn't make sense that Ms Feinstine would be for a device to make a weapon go full auto. Now I have been informed. The media has done their job.

destrux
12-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Fox is making the "correction" in the next hour.

Corrections mean little when false information is out there and the same people don't hear the correction.

I still keep hearing people restating the initially reported fallacy that the attack was three white males in camo because they heard that first.

M-Tecs
12-04-2015, 03:56 PM
And fox never corrected the BS that bullet buttons turns the firearm full auto.

Artful
12-05-2015, 10:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVvMZKTCW8

GabbyM
12-05-2015, 05:05 PM
I see it as an example of the mindset of these libtards. When mere mention of a rifle with THE magic button sends there feeble minds into a raging frenzy. Then at some point there genius minds which they say are so much superior to us uninformed idiots. Connects and blames American civilian gun owners with our , or I should say their, government allowing terrorist to enter and kill innocents. Great minds they are.

I’ll just point out what is obvious to us here. Gun control did not help or save the French a couple weeks ago. Neither did any other lack of freedoms we enjoy.

Abenaki
12-05-2015, 07:08 PM
The bullet button was not some thing that the communist gun grabbers came up with.
Us gun owners in California, found a loop hole in the law and took advantage of it!
It is not the best situation, but you can legally buy a AR in this state.

Geezer in NH
12-05-2015, 07:17 PM
The bullet button was not some thing that the communist gun grabbers came up with.
Us gun owners in California, found a loop hole in the law and took advantage of it!
It is not the best situation, but you can legally buy a AR in this state.

When convoluted as this add.

Blammer
12-05-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ar+bullet+button&view=detail&&&mid=6954DA4C8160210552786954DA4C816021055278&rvsmid=6954DA4C8160210552786954DA4C816021055278#vi ew=detail&mid=6954DA4C8160210552786954DA4C816021055278

what it is and how it works

MtGun44
12-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Simple, reasonable solution to a stupid law. I was also
baffled when I first heard the term, living in Free America and all.

CGT80
12-06-2015, 08:15 PM
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/Shooting%20Reloading%20and%20Boolit%20Casting/IMG_20150823_132417482.jpg

Here are two NON-ASSAULT rifles according to Komnifornia law.

They will still use "assault ammo" though. Yep I heard that one on the news. My Mini 14 Target Model (no assault features) will use the same ammo, so doe that mean it really isn't "assault" ammo?

Assault rifles in Kali are either listed by brand and model or by evil features. Evil features include:
pistol grip
flash hider
vertical forward grip
collapsible stock
bullet button rifle with a 10+ round magazine

My M1 Carbine isn't an assault weapon by the law, but is a real military rifle. An AR15 with features is and assault rifle, but isn't used by the military. Logic has no place in Komnifornia.

Artful
12-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Logic has no place in Komnifornia.

We all knew that when the voters choose to send Boxer and Feinstein back as representatives of the Great Eureka State

GabbyM
12-07-2015, 01:21 AM
We all knew that when the voters choose to send Boxer and Feinstein back as representatives of the Great Eureka State

our Priest gave his Homily today mostly surrounding Nancy Pelosi's rant on the house floor about how God will not save you. You know former Speaker Of The House and now minority Speaker.

What got me is most people didn't even know what she was. Even Father didn't know she used to keep a huge print of Chey Guevar right behind her desk chair in her California office when she was a state Congresswoman. Or maybe he pretended to not know.

http://fuerza.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CHE-GUEVARA.jpg

http://fuerza.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CHE-GUEVARA.jpg
Chey Guevar