PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap. I think that I hit the jackpot.

Down South
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I went over to our parish owned rifle range the other day to sight in a scope on my 45-70. While I was there I strolled over to the pistol range. They use a high red clay wall for a backstop. I noticed old bullets lying all over the ground around the bottom of the clay wall. It doesn’t look like anyone had ever mined this stuff.
So the next day I stop by Wally World and buy a minnow trap, then back to the range I go. (The Minnow trap is an idea that I got from one of our members). The minnow trap worked well in separating the dirt from the range scrap. I only got to mine for about 30 minutes before an LEO showed up and needed to use the range to practice for qualifying. But I got almost a ½ bucket full of range scrap in those 30 minutes.
The range scrap smelted better than I thought it would. I would get a pop from a fully jacketed bullet every now and them but keeping the lid on my dutch oven kept anything from flying out of the pot.
Now all I have to do is find time to get back to my new found lead supply and do some more mining.
:castmine:

UweJ
04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Congratulations, you DID hit the jackpot. A very good place to get lead if nobody minds.
We cleaned our backstop out last fall and I got me about 1200 pounds of different kinds of lead out of it. Smelted it all down and after measuring I got an average of 18 BRH. I think when I waterdrop the boolits I can reach approx. 22 - 24 BRH.
Keep checking your backstop it´s a gold mine.
Uwe :castmine:

targetshootr
04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Make sure the range owner is ok with it. They don't allow us to mine our berms but they don't mind if I pick up anything laying on top. In less than a year I've picked up about three hundred pounds of previously owned boolits.

Down South
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
The range is Parish (County) owned. The sheriff’s department is in charge of it. I happen to know the sheriff and he doesn’t care. Most of the stuff that I mined was right on top of the ground. I think that I could probably pick up a bucket full right on top of the ground.

targetshootr
04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
It's probably the best and cheapest way to go cause you don't have to burn gas driving all over tarnation looking for wheel weights. And it cuts down on the amount of ammo you shoot on each trip. And all that bending over is good exercise.

:drinks:

compass will
04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
the range I belong to is talking about removing one of the banks at 100M to allow better access to the 150 and 200M silhouette targets. That would be a gold mine, but the amount of people that cast in the club, I would have to wait in line.