PDA

View Full Version : looking at a new mold

Tom W.
12-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Does anyone have experience with the rcbs 45 cal 230 gr rn? My pistol doesn't like my Lee 230 gr tc boolit too well, and I'm tired of tinkering with them trying to get the thing to do right. The same boolit in 9mm works like a dream in my Glock & Ruger.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-03-2015, 11:42 PM
I have been using the RCBS 225 grain round nose and the H&G #34 which is essentially the same bullet in 45ACP for a long time in both a 1911 A1, a Colt Gold Cup, and two revolvers. I use a mild taper crimp (.471) on all rounds as the case must seat on the case mouth...too much crimp and the case goes too deep in the chamber and may not receive the full strike on the primer/hammer. In the revolvers the use of 1/2 moon or 1/3 moon clips will get around the problem. In semi-autos the charge must also run the action....not enough= no feed. A lot of powders work with this bullet; I settled on 4.0-4.1 grains of Red Dot as this generally grouped best for me, but it takes a fair bit of tinkering/experimentation and patience to find the right combination for each particular gun. One of the complicating and known factors in working with 45ACP is the varying lengths of cases. Its a nuisance and also 45ACP cases tend to grow shorter with repeated firings. You ought to keep track/measure length of cases to see what is going on. Do some reading on the subject. Hope this has helped. LLS

45-70 Chevroner
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
I think most 1911's like the 230 RN. Lee also has a 230 RN 1R and it works great in the 1911.