PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Lube Sizer

OneShotNeeded
04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I just recently purchased a Lyman 45 Lube and Sizer and was wondering where I can find a parts reference for this. I saw there was a thread started on here about a manual which I have printed but it doesn't reference parts. Also was wondering if a heating element for a 4500 will work? Anyone able to enlighten me?

Ken
04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't know if other heating elements work with the 45 but I use a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb. Works like a charm for me. I have 5 lubricators and I can easily use it on any of them.

Dale53
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Lyman makes a heater (universal type with threaded holes for Lyman, RCBS, and Star). It is a square plate that the luber mounts on. It WILL fit the Lyman 45. However, the Lyman "rod type" heater is only for the 4500 - it has a hole that the rod slips in.

I have the Lyman heater and use it with my Star AND both RCBS and Lyman sizer/lubers.

I have my heater hooked up to a Dremel tool rheostat to control the temperature. You can easily make one with an electrical box and light dimmer switch/rheostat.

Dale53

OneShotNeeded
04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks I'll definately have to try that.

grumpy one
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
For most people, probably the cheapest solution that gives you thermostatic control is to mount the lubesizer on a sheet of metal, preferably aluminium, and lay an ordinary household iron flat on the sheet behind the lubesizer. An iron temperature setting way down in the low-melting point synthetic cloths works for me. If you have a metal bench you'll have to put a sheet of wood between the metal sheet and the bench of course, or you'd be trying to heat up the whole bench. This isn't original, BTW - lots of people on this site seem to be doing it.

calsite
04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I've purchased a Lyman 45 a few months ago and that might be where you saw the owners manual thread. I mounted a thick plate of aluminum on my bench under the sizer and then set an old iron on it. I believe you can still get some parts from Lyman themselves. What are you needing? Mine was missing a couple of parts when I got it. Luckily I've got a buddy that has a spare.

Char-Gar
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I have been casting, lubing and sizing with Lyman 45s and 450s for 50 years, and I have never used a heater or felt the need to.

grumpy one
04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Chargar, I took to using a heater in winter with my 45 because if I didn't I kept blowing the O ring at the top of the sizer die. The problem only arose after I'd begun using an RCBS sizing die for one rifle and a Lyman for the other. The RCBS die kind of sized the sizer: it made the hole in the casting bigger, because it was tight. From then on, if I use any non-zero lube pressure, the O ring pops out with the Lyman sizing die. By heating my 50-50 lube in winter, I can stick with approximately zero lube pressure, and not pop the O-ring (or not very often anyway). Wish I'd never bought that RCBS sizing die.

jcwit
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Re: Parts for #45 luner/sizer. Cheack out the Lyman web site, most internal parts are available they interchange with the #450 both new and old style. Lubricant reservoir cover---#2990598, Pressure nut---#2990146, O-Ring (2 req)---#2990689, pressure screw---#2990559, All of these are available as a kit Pressure screw sub assembly---#2745817, ------Push-out rod ---2990306, all of these are available. If I knew how to do pictures I would show a breakdown, however this should be somewhat self explanatory. Google the web site, however they do not show the part numbers but you get the cost + shipping, $8.00 I think.

Irascible
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
CH also makes a flat plate heater like the Lyman, I have two. They have thermostats mounted on them and work fine. The heater for the 4500 screws into a drilled and tapped hole in the rear, towards the bottom. If you wanted to you could probably drill and tap the 45 for the Lyman heater, but for the price it would be easier to buy the Lyman or CH plate

mtgrs737
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
The lyman heater overheats my sizers without a control. I made a control using a household light dimmer switch and it works like a charm. The heater is around 180 watts and the dimmer is rated for 600 watts. If you can find a Heater marketed by Midway they have a thermostat built in, also the C&H and the heater sold by Magma Engineering also have thermostats. Good luck!