PDA

View Full Version : I Have Read Stories About This ????

RANGER RICK
04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
What a day !!!!
Yesterday I looked on Craigs list to see if anything caught my eye and there was a guy selling a couple RCBS presses and a few other goodies (too much to list as he said in the ad ) right in my town so I called him.

He told me about the two presses ,powder,primers ETC so I told him I would take it sight unseen for his listing of $150.00 . I wanted the 2 RCBS Rock chuckers .

I met him at my shop and all I could say was HOLY SMOKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and another !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There must be in excess of $1,500 worth of stuff .
16 Pounds of powder
15,000 primers
18 sets of new RCBS reloading dies
1 RCBS Rock chucker and the other RCBS was not a Rock Chucker but a RCBS A2
20,000 bullets from .257 to 375
RCBS Model 304 Scale
Powder measures
40 boxes of new brass from 30-30 through 460 and some of the boxes are very old
15 Cigar boxes filled with loose brass
Swag dies

Plus more stuff .

I felt so guilty when we were done putting all this stuff into my truck I gave him $200 bucks .
Merry Christmas to me .

The guy is moving out of state and did not want to take anything with him .
He said he worked with a Mr. Hunttington (spelling ) in his eary years . I have not herd of the guy .

There is this Webster RW-1 powder measure with a Hydraulic Damper . It is a jar of oil that sits under the measure that has a paddle hanging down that sits inside of the jar of heavy oil and I guess it helps the measure to stop faster ???? Never even herd of one before ??

Anyway just wanted to share in my good deal of the day .
I usually read about people that make these deals and now I am one of them !!!!

RR

TCLouis
04-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Congratulations!

04-14-2008, 11:37 PM
.... and come out smelling like you know what.
One heck of a good deal!!
With that much RCBS stuff wonder if he's was talking about Fred Huntington as in the RCBS Huntington?

RANGER RICK
04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
.... and come out smelling like you know what.
One heck of a good deal!!
With that much RCBS stuff wonder if he's was talking about Fred Huntington as in the RCBS Huntington?

Thats the guy . I could not remember his first name ...
The guy that sold me the stuff is a retired Doctor and in his late 60's early 70's and he said he worked with Fred many years ago.

Yep a good deal for sure.

RR

xr650
04-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Congrats Rick.
Super deal.

454PB
04-15-2008, 12:36 AM
You better run out and buy some lottery tickets while you're on a roll.

Yes, Fred Huntington helped make the world of handloading what it is today, he's the man that started RCBS.

carpetman
04-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Now that you own half of RCBS and didnt know who Fred Huntington was---do you know what RCBS stands for?

RANGER RICK
04-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Now that you own half of RCBS and didnt know who Fred Huntington was---do you know what RCBS stands for?

I do not !!!
I never really thought about it .
?????

RR

nvbirdman
04-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Rock Chuck Bullet Swage.

carpetman
04-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Fred Hunnington had a small shop in his backyard and developed a press that he could swage spent .22 rimfire hulls into a bullet. The press was popular and all his friends wanted one. The bullets were used to shoot rock chucks. So it was Rock Chuck Bullet swage--=-RCBS. Look at their logo and that is a rock chuck. The company grew from a small shop in his back yard. BTW I asked if you knew out of curiosity---certainly not to try to embarass you---heck you already admitted to not knowing who Fred Hunington was.

RANGER RICK
04-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the History lesson . Nope not embarassed at all , just never herd of the Gentleman before or how his business started .
I have only been reloading for a few years and alot of the older equipment and names are new to me at times ..
Thanks for taking the time to share .

RR

Just Duke
04-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Rock Chuck Bullet Swage.

Rock Crusher Bullet Swage ;)

Major score Rangerrick. I can help you store some of those primers. ;)

Whitespider
04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I truly believe you should pass some of your very good fortune along to your very good friends.
My address is....... :-D

jonk
04-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I've had hauls (getting a Rockchucker press, digital scale, and a few other little things for $50 for instance) but nothing on that magnitude. Congrats!

Cherokee
04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I had an oil dampened powder scale when I started out. It got lost in one of my several moves around the US. Lots of folks haven't heard of Lachmiller either, a great powder measure that I still use today. You got a good deal, enjoy the stuff.

beagle
04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah and Lachmiller made darn good stuff too. Me and #2 son have an old Lachmiller primer seater that's still working well and I bought it in Los Angeles in 1968 at a gun shop on Pico Blvd. It's still ticking./beagle

I had an oil dampened powder scale when I started out. It got lost in one of my several moves around the US. Lots of folks haven't heard of Lachmiller either, a great powder measure that I still use today. You got a good deal, enjoy the stuff.

PatMarlin
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Congratulations you dog you... :mrgreen:

Craigs list is amazing. I just wish they would let you post in different areas at once like they used to.

montana_charlie
04-15-2008, 12:25 PM
developed a press that he could swage spent .22 rimfire hulls into a bullet.
Thanks for that little history lesson. I (kinda) knew what RCBS stands for, but I have had more than one Rock Chucker owner tell me his press was capable of the most demanding chores, because it is built "for bullet swaging".
It appears those guys would benefit from hearing 'the rest of the story'...
CM

EMC45
04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Good haul!

RANGER RICK
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
I need to buy some lottery tickets for sure because this week has turned out to be great !!!!!!

Had another score this morning when I got to work .
One of the guys I shoot with and he taught me how to reload and cast bullets asked if I wanted any 22's, 357's 12 gauge shotguns ETC

He has a friend that gave him 37 firearms cause he did not have anyone to pass them down too when he died ( he is getting up there in years ) .

My buddy asked me what I wanted for free !!!!!!!
I told him I would take a single shot 22, 1 pump 22 , 357, 12 GA, 44 single action , 9mm and a double barrel 410 .

I have a great smile today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I get the firearms tomorrow morning ..

Yiiiiiiipppppppeeeee for me .

I think my grand kids are going to have a great summer with their new firearms .

I wonder what the rest of the week will bring ???????????????

RR

leftiye
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Yu se making me sick! DANG!

HORNET
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
What? No molds?:kidding: Nice haul, congratulations.

Bob Krack
04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I do not !!!
I never really thought about it .?????
RR

Extremely interesting read about Huntington (and many others) at:

http://stevespages.com/table3.html

Vic

RANGER RICK
04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Extremely interesting read about Huntington (and many others) at:

http://stevespages.com/table3.html

Vic

Vic

Now that is some fine good reading . Thanks for the link.

RR

PatMarlin
04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Steve's got some great reloading data also. I've use and double checked his data with other references and it's always been dead on.