PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Remington New Model Army

drago9900
12-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Says it has a tapered barrel, anyone know how much it tapers? Thinking of getting one if I can't talk myself out of it.

Nobade
12-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Don't try to talk yourself out of one. They are wonderful devices to own and use. Can't tell you how much taper on the barrel, it's not much though.

-Nobade

Omnivore
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
"...anyone know how much it tapers?"

Not a lot. Are you looking for exact measurements? Why do you ask?

The Remington "New Models" represent the pinnacle of percussion revolver technology, IMO, and the first truly "modern" revolver design.

drago9900
12-02-2015, 03:40 PM
I was just curious, I guess it's to make it less muzzle heavy.

Omnivore
12-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Ah. Well in 44 caliber the barrel is actually quite light, so no worries there. The Remington 36s from both Pietta and Uberti are built on the Army frame and barrel, just with smaller holes, and so they're heavier, but we're talking about the 44. The standard 8" Army points and handles pretty well. I would give a slight edge in that department to the Colt '60 Army, but other people prefer the handling of the Remington.

I'm the only one who talks about this, that I can tell, but the 1860 and later Colts also have a superior loading lever system.

The Remington loading system is a compromise, to allow the cylinder arbor to slide out the front to allow cylinder removal while being prevented by the loading lever from coming clear of the gun. It makes for easier take-down with an enclosed frame but the way it's built it also makes for a loading ram that can and almost certainly will impinge against the mouth of the chamber when loading conicals. The New Model Colt system's "Creeping lever" is a simple rack-and-pinion, which puts a more linear force on the back of the bullet ram, and the barrel design also provides more support for the bullet ram, so you get straighter seating of conicals and the ram won't ding the chamber mouths. You probably won't hear this anywhere else, as most people either don't see it or don't care, but it's a fairly major issue as far as I'm concerned. I plan to make longer, tighter-fitting bullet rams for my Remingtons at some point. If you're only going to use round ball it probably doesn't matter though.

Hardcast416taylor
12-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I bought an Uberti imported by Lyman back in `68. It was a .44 cal Rem. New model Army model. Since then I`ve added a conversion cylinder for using .45 LC ammo as a 5 shooter. I still use it now and again for a fun range session. Not sure about a barrel taper, as long as a boolet exits the `front` end it is tapered enough for me.Robert