PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

burch
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
hello to all,
My name is Burch and i`ve just joined your forum. I thank you for letting me enjoy this forum with you. I have never done any casting but I reload and with the prices of componets going up i`m going to try it. I have a few firearms including cowboy pistols, auto`s, rifles and muzzleloaders. I plan on starting my new venture with my 45Colt single action. It`s a Ruger vaquero, 5 1/2"bbl that I just had a little work done on. I had the forcing cone cut to 11 degree`s and the cylinder throats opened up to 452.5 so I could get better use from a cast bullet. I`m currently loading it with a 250 gr. RNFP and a 255gr. SWC that i`m buying from my local reloading store. I should have no problem getting my equipment from them or maybe visit the classifieds here. I thank you again and look forward to learning all I can here.

Burch :Fire:

wolfspotter
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Wecome burch. :drinks:

HORNET
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
burch, welcome to about the best website there is. Wander around, read the stickies and classics, check out the other forums, enjoy the place. Ask questions and start arguments, this is a fun place. You might even learn a few things, like how to pour your own. Sounds like you've got a cast friendly pissola.Watch out for the group buys and don't believe everything you hear about cats or sheep.:holysheep:kidding:

Razor
04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Hello Burch...[smilie=s:
Welcome from another new guy..
LOTS of great info here...
Real nice and helpful folks ...
Coupla COB's.. but you'll figger out who they are right quick..
(Cranky Ole Bas.....'s )[smilie=s:
Word of warning : Casting is addictive...
I came here for the reloading thing, but evil influences here bewitched me into the casting world..
I got more boolits cast than I can shoot in 6 months...(time to do some shooting ??)
I got moulds for calibers I don't have..(yet)
Wheelweight buys are a household budget item now...
You'll love it !!!

Razor
:castmine:

Wicky
04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi burch, you have joined the best forum on the net!! Good blokes and very knowledgeable as well, not me but the others!:redneck::bigsmyl2:

wiljen
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the fold brother, may the silver stream guide your path.

testhop
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
welcome BURCH
you will like it here

Alchemist
04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Welcome, Burch!

The more the merrier.

:drinks:

waksupi
04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Welcome aboard. We will be gentle! Get ready for all the money saving you are about to do!

(Place evil laugh here.)

jhalcott
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Burch welcome , and do NOT think about SAVING money. Just consider it trading resources! It wont feel so bad that way.

TCLouis
04-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Can't think of a better place to start casting than the 45 Colt.

454PB
04-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I cut my casting teeth with the .45 Colt. Once I saw what could be done with a few wheelweights and a single cavity Lyman mould, I was hooked. I hope you are too!

Cherokee
04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Burch - welcome to the forum from a transplanted Hialeah boy. Casting adds to the reloading experience. 45 Colt is a good place to start. We'll be glad to help.

Shepherd2
04-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Welcome. You'll save big money casting your own boolits. Trouble is you'll spend all that money you saved on more moulds and equipment.

About 4 decades ago I lived a little south of you in Melbourne. That was back when Cape Canaveral (Kennedy) was going full blast. I liked it down there but the wife got homesick.

dromia
04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Burch, welcome to the forum mate.:drinks:

Prepare to have fun.:-D

clintsfolly
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
run man run save your self!!!! have fun clint

burch
04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Shucks Fellas, I feel loved now for sure[smilie=1: I thank you all for the warm welcome. A few of you mensioned wheel weights. Well i`m a truck driver in the scrap metal buisness and they take off their wheel weights before running the rims through the mill. Trouble is their used and abused but my wife is a VIP and can probably get new lead. I might be off base here `cause I don`t know anything about the aloys yet but could this lead be used for casting ?:idea:

Burch :-D

trooperdan
04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Burch, if you are asking if wheel weights can be tamed into boolits, heck yes! Most anything vaguely plumbous, as Dean Grennell used to say! Just avoid ANY amount of zinc in your alloy; else you will have 'silver oatmeal' . You can read all about that topic if you'll just search here in these forums. Welcome!

JIMinPHX
04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Burch, used & abused wheel weights are as good a currency with most folks here on this board. If you have a steady source, then you are in high cotton.

burch
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I`ll check with the wife and see what I can come up with. Trouble is I can`t post in the classifieds yet so I might try and do some trading for stuff i`ll need to get started casting. I`ve seen a lot of weights floating around there. When they pull `em off the rims they go into a bucket. I don`t know where they go from there but i`ll find for sure. What the going ( fair ) price on `em as I have no idea.

Burch

burch
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Well i`m off to a good start. :oops:The wife said they cannot sell the weights to an individual. They have a company that buys all the weights and they have to pass enviromental restrictions because their considered hazardous waste. I`m really sorry fellas, I thought it was a good idea. :veryconfu

Burch

Razor
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Damn !!
Were you asking about the USED ones when you were told no ??
How about the NEW ones..??
Obviously they're NOT waste...
So.. can an individual buy the new ones ??

Razor

Scrounger
04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I'd never advise a man to sneak around on his wife, but a word to the actual guys that remove the wheelweights, some beer or doughnuts, might result in those weights never appearing on a manifest.

badgeredd
04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome aboard. We will be gentle! Get ready for all the money saving you are about to do!

(Place evil laugh here.)

WELCOME Burch from another newbie. Many truths here and a lot of humor. I'm going broke saving so much money!

GrizzLeeBear
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome aboard Burch!

You said they couldn't SELL the WW to an individual. Like Scrounger said, nothing wrong with a couple of buckets accidently falling into the back of your truck and you forgetting a box of donuts or a 6 pack where they take the WW off. [smilie=1: :mrgreen:

STP
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Howdy burch!

burch
04-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Damn !!
Were you asking about the USED ones when you were told no ??
How about the NEW ones..??
Obviously they're NOT waste...
So.. can an individual buy the new ones ??

Razor

Good point i`ll find out