PDA

View Full Version : Found a reason to cast 9mm

AbitNutz
12-01-2015, 04:13 PM
I have a couple of 9mm firearms because they're just about the cheapest thing you can shoot. I mean, I bought a 1000 rounds of good Israeli 9mm 124gr FMJ for $200.00. That's just hard to beat and a real problem if you're trying justify reloading it.

Well, I found a reason. I bought a Stag Model 9 AR carbine in 9mm. It's blow back operated so there's no gas port to worry about. It also seems to like hotter rounds to operate well. It mostly works on the Israeli stuff but only if you shoot it fast...If you slow fire it, it will fail to eject sometimes....go figure that one out.

I just ordered a bullet mold for my Magma Master Caster. It's a 145 RN BB. So it should load through my Dillon 650 and GSI bullet feeder....I hope. The GSI doesn't like flat based bullets. It really wants bevel based otherwise it wants to shear off a small ring of lead when it moves it to the next station.

So I'm going to try to brew a recipe for the 145gr bullet that can take best advantage of the 16 inch barrel. That may not be possible but we'll see. I wish the Lab Radar chronograph would come into stock and ship...

bangerjim
12-01-2015, 05:23 PM
I shoot tons of 358 138gn PC'd boolits in my M1 9mm with great success. Will shoot as fast as I pull the trigger or until the 20 & 30 round clips run dry!

I load 4gn of ETR7.

banger

AbitNutz
12-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I'd really like to see if I can get a load for the 145gr bullet that will take advantage of the 16 inch barrel. The case may be way too small to load 145gr bullet with a enough of slow powder to make a difference.

bangerjim
12-01-2015, 05:44 PM
You will have to use a "heavier" denser powder like TiteGroup to get a sufficient load in that teeny case with that boolit set in there. ETR7 is a flake power and is kinda bulky (reminds me of Trail Boss without the hole) and fills that case right up to the base of my 138gn's the way I seat them.

You should be able to use slightly less powder with that slightly heavier boolit.

Good luck!

banger

Geezer in NH
12-01-2015, 06:09 PM
My fav Mac 10-9 load was 147 grn or 150 grn with 6.5 grns HS6 powder. Hollywood quite with can. Worked my Glock 17, marlin camp9 SBR with or without can.

Sold MG's I had for DW new knees but now use 4.3 grn Red Dot with the others, almost as quite but functions great.

dragon813gt
12-01-2015, 06:22 PM
If you really want to wring it out I would load Longshot. It typically yields the highest velocities w/ a heavyweight bullet. Any fast burner will work. And it's not like you need a lot of it :) I personally settled on Universal as it gives me the same velocity as factory SD rounds.

mnewcomb59
12-02-2015, 02:48 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-26558.html

You might or might not want to use a slower powder. Just switching to cast with basic, fast powder loads gives a significant velocity and momentum increase.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/reloading-heavy-bullets-in-9mm-luger/