PDA

View Full Version : oklahoma.

sav300
12-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Hi Folks.
Just received am email and read about Oklahoma.Very interesting.
Can an Australian move and own a property or home there?
LOVE the gun laws compaired to here.
Sav300

trapper9260
12-01-2015, 07:51 AM
I know of a person from the UK did what you ask but not in OK but here in IA and was working here and he went back to the UK because of other reason.He sold his place before he went back.

Houndog
12-01-2015, 08:00 AM
I don't know of any restrictions on any non US citizen owning property anywhere in the US, as long as you are a law abiding person you won't have any problems.

Hickory
12-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Can an Australian move and own a property or home there?
Sav300
If you come in as an illegal there all kinds of benefits not accessible to native born citizens.
You can start out small, with a few properties and may even move up to Donald Trump's level.
It is possible to become very rich and even President of this country.
Give it a try.

Boerrancher
12-01-2015, 08:08 AM
If you come in as an illegal there all kinds of benefits not accessible to native born citizens.
You can start out small, with a few properties and may even move up to Donald Trump's level.
It is possible to become very rich and even President of this country.
Give it a try.

Couldnt have said it more eloquently my self.

10x
12-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I don't know of any restrictions on any non US citizen owning property anywhere in the US, as long as you are a law abiding person you won't have any problems.

There is a residence restriction - non residents can own property but have to have an exemption from U.S. Immigration to live in the U.S. for longer than 6 months.
There are many Canadians who own houses in the U.S. who have to return to Canada periodically because of U.S. immigration rules.

Handloader109
12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
The hard part is working legally. Owning property has no restrictions as long as you have the cash or can qualify for a mortgage

bedbugbilly
12-01-2015, 10:25 AM
And those Canadians have to return to Canada periodically in order to keep their Canadian health insurance. Funny how our neighbors to the north, who have always been our allies . . . have restrictions and keep tabs of their borders into the US with more restrictions than we are able to keep our boders to the south which are like a sieve. We have a home in AZ that is about 45 miles north of the border I'm not faulting the Border Patrol . . . as taxpayers, we are paying millions in trying to keep the flow down as well as the drugs coming across . . . . now if only the government would do their part by enforcing the laws that are on the books to keep the illegals out. Instead . . . they are allowed to collect all types of benefits at our expense. Something wrong with that picture . . .

But then I digress from the OP's original question . . . if you do it legally, there is no reason you can't own property in OK or anywhere else . . . . heck . . . it seems like have of the real estate here is owned by those who are not "citizens".

toallmy
12-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Come in through the front door , and you are more than welcome. but people are going to think you talk funny , good day mate.

Iron Whittler
12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Good day to you mate. Be glad to have you come to America. Just do it the proper way. When you get to it, check out southwest Louisiana. Friendly, hard working, fun loving Cajuns. Mild winters, hot, humid in summer. Great fishing year 'round and hunting to boot. State gun laws are very gun owner friendly. You ever get down in this neck of the woods, give me a holler. The Mrs. and me will pass a good time with you and your Mrs. Best wishes to you and yours. Iron Whittler[smilie=w::Fire::drinks:

historicfirearms
12-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Oklahoma, really? I travel quite a bit and no offense intended, but Oklahoma is one of my least favorite states in the country. The weather is some of the worst in the country, in my opinion. Hot and humid summers and bitter cold winters, thunderstorms, ice storms, wind, snow, tornadoes. Did I miss anything? Scenery is OK and the people are mostly nice and gun laws are great, fishing and hunting are pretty good too from what I hear.

jcren
12-01-2015, 06:09 PM
From a native Okie, welcome. As mentioned, we have our draw backs, weather changes by the minute, humidity and tornadoes to name a few, but I have traveled a mite and am proud to be home.

onceabull
12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
To Paraphrase an old C&W ditty, There's a reason God made Oklahoma..!!! & If the gent talking up SW Louisiana means anywhere close to Lake Charles,Lafayette,or New Iberia,he's talking truth. AND,there is some fine local horseracing in the area....!!Calvin Borel started his career somewhere in there, racing against horses that had a monkey,or a pair of fighting roosters for jockeys. !! Onceabuill

Driver man
12-01-2015, 06:40 PM
I Think that foreigners owning guns in the US is not permitted.

Smoke4320
12-01-2015, 07:36 PM
I Think that foreigners owning guns in the US is not permitted.

Sorry not true. Green card and establish residency (iirc 90 days) and you are good to go .
Residency requirement is on the 4473 form instructions

KYCaster
12-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I have a friend who did just what you're talking about.

If you're serious, PM your contact info and I'll see that he gets it.

Jerry

richhodg66
12-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Oklahoma is a great place, probably the friendliest people on average anywhere. Lots of neat places to explore, low cost of living and like was posted, the hunting and fishing is great. I'd advise staying out of Lawton, but otherwise a good place.

Most of what I just said is true anywhere in the US if you stay off the east and west coast and out of big cities. 90% of what's *^%$ed up about the US is on the east or west edges.

jmort
12-01-2015, 10:12 PM
I say check out the Ozarks

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/OzarkOverview.jpg

sav300
12-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Just a up date. retired on a pension with a superanuation pension,so money ok.Not a fisherman,no way!
Shooter/gun collector yes.
Hmm,snow = cold, too old for frozen bones,suffer from artritits.(68 year )
Houses, looked at for sale closures.
Maybe just a dream.

richhodg66
12-02-2015, 07:02 AM
While it gets chilly there in January and February, I think you'd find heat to be mor of a problem than cold. Down at Fort Sill, it seemed like every summer they had the "one hundred days over 100 degrees" thing going. I know it's not, but there were times in the field there I believe that place got as hot as Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

dragon813gt
12-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Most of what I just said is true anywhere in the US if you stay off the east and west coast and out of big cities. 90% of what's *^%$ed up about the US is on the east or west edges.

It's the cities, not the coasts. I wish people in the middle of the country would realize this. If you're from rural Oklahoma you would fit in just fine in upstate New York or central Pennsylvania. Rural is rural, the scenery is just different. Stay away from the cities and you are good to go.

rockrat
12-02-2015, 10:57 AM
You might think around McAlester, OK then. Doesn't get near as cold, but can still get chilly. Hot/humid in summers, just like Louisianna and Kentucky and Tennessee. Traveled thru alot of those places. I would look at southern Tennessee also.

Lived in Oklahoma about 22 years, if you go for the gun laws and hunting, you won't be disappointed in the eastern part of OK

sundog
12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
If you're from rural Oklahoma you would fit in just fine in upstate New York...

What I have been saying for a long time (other than the oppressive taxes and stoopid, unconstitutional gun laws in New York). I grew up on Long Island in the 50s and 60s. It was GREAT! I will not live there now. I've been in NE Oklahoma for a long while, and it is a good place to be. Anywhere from from here all the way down into the Texas Hill Country.

mexicanjoe
12-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Oh my foot! Just come to Texas !! Friendly people, lots of gun, BBQ, and miles and miles of Texas.. We keep our liberals locked up in Austin ..... Did I mention lots of guns????

toallmy
12-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Love me some Texas BBQ brisket , hear on the east coast its all about the piggie . Its worth driving from Va. To Texas just to smell it. BUT about the guns,hunting and fishing , I do it every day in Va.

dilly
12-02-2015, 05:39 PM
For a foreigner moving to the United States sight unseen, that would be a very hard decision to me. It's a very diverse country, and not all of it would be appealing for your purposes. California for all its beauty and renown has high cost of living and quite restrictive gun laws.

Do your finances support taking an extended trip of the states and checking out a few places that might be a suitable retirement area? I wouldn't be surprised if a few CB members across the country wouldn't mind spending a day at the range with you. It would be cheaper to travel around in the red states than the blue states, which is probably what most international visitors stick to.

PbHurler
12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Move to OK huh? Bring a chainsaw, we have wonderful ice storms here.

My backyard after the storm two days after thanksgiving, no electricity for 35 hours, good times.........

roarindan
12-05-2015, 11:10 AM
answer to your original question,,, the billionaire co-founder of the trading company "alibaba" just bought 28,120 acre "Great Camp" up here in NY.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/environment/chinese-billionaire-buys-brandon-park-for-million/article_e582ab16-0525-50de-810a-4fc307e1bfbe.html

MtGun44
12-05-2015, 09:53 PM
If cold weather is an issue, look at rural Arizona or central to southern Texas, and all
the way east to Florida or Georgia. West if you want a dry or dry-ish climate, farther east is still
warm, but humidity goes up steadily. Good folks in all the S central and SE USA, lived
in SE states for many years when a younger man. People are far friendlier away from the
NE "crazy zone" and California.

Stay away from big cities, anything under 100,000 is usually a pretty nice place, all the way
down to small towns, but they may have less in the way of shopping and medical care
options in some places.

Rufus Krile
12-05-2015, 10:26 PM
What's this "ice" thing ya'll keep talking about?