PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an alloy ID

selmerfan
04-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm getting some lead bars that are cast from the lead shielding radioactive medical materials during shipping. They are certified as uncontaminated. Does anyone know what the composition of this stuff might be? I've seen a couple guesses about "a lot" of antimony, but it needs tin to fill out well. Any tips would be great. I don't intend to mix these with my WW ingots or my linotype that I have left.
Selmerfan

runfiverun
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
melt- temp would be what i would try.
i have heard that some tin may be in this stuff, but i would guess near pure lead.

bobthenailer
04-14-2008, 06:21 PM
i had some of the small containers with a lid made from the same material , and the had radioactive objects in them from a hospital mine checked out to be pure lead with a hardness tester

Wicky
04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
My guess would be pure lead as the gentlemen above have said - I was involves in the removal of an x-ray facility when I used to work for a living and the lining was all pure sheet lead.

selmerfan
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
If it is then I'll have to see if anyone is interested in trading for WW or linotype. I'd hate to alloy pure lead if there are some BP shooters out there who could use it in its pure form. I'll let you know what I discover when I get it.
Selmerfan

AllanD
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I found a bunch of small lidded containers at my local scrap dealer, but I'm sure they aren't pure lead as they have a definate "clink" to them.

The ones I've seen are painted Blue, Yellow or left unpainted.
they come in several shapes, but in most the little lid is held in
place with a chunk of masking tape.

I've been systematically removing all their lead pipe as they get it but I'm about to start on their wheelweights... I'll leave those isotope containers until there's nothing else...

AD

454PB
04-17-2008, 10:04 PM
The ones I've used turned out to be very close to WW alloy. Cast just like WW's and harness tested at 12 BHN. They are 11 pounds each and shaped like a coffee cup with no handle.

billyb
04-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I have about 100 pounds of these that i have been using. treated them like ww added a little tin and some type metal. have shot a bunch of these in 45 auto and the 8 mm with no leading with lars carnuba red.