PDA

View Full Version : lead shot question

wiley
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a quantity of lead shot that I cast into ingots for boolits. Some is chilled and some is the high antimony "hard" shot. Does anyone know what the alloy ratio is for chilled shot and hard shot? Is it better suited to rifle or pistol boolits?

Thanks!
wiley

James C. Snodgrass
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
At 45.00 for a bag I would sell it or swap for a cheaper medium. Just my opinion James[smilie=1:

jhalcott
04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
according to this 'chilled is ~3 per cent antimony and hard could be as much as 7.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/trouble_chokes.htm

beagle
04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
My shooting partner researched that once and I forget what the percentage was. The percentage of antimony goes up as the shot size gets smaller and I recall him skimming antimony alloy off the top of #9 shot alloy as it was too brittle for .30 bullets and he gave me a 3# coffee can full and I used it to alloy some pure lead.

If the shot's new, I'd trade with some shotshell loader as it's like gold now./beagle

JSnover
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I had the same problem. Someone gave me 50 pounds of shot; 15 from an old exercise machine and 35 from a body shop, packed in canvas bags for laying up fiberglass, I think. Since I don't know exactly what's in it I'm just going to mix it about 1::30 with my other lead. Oughtta be close enough, I figure. If anyone has a better use/better idea, I'm willing to sell or trade. None of my friends load shot, so it's not much use other than filling out a melt.

DanM
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I am still in the experimental stage with this stuff, but can say that a tablespoon of magnum shot added to my 20lb. pot gives a big jump in hardness with quenched boolits.