PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sobot slug diameter when cast of wheelweights?

m stevenson
04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Those of you that cast the Lyman 12ga sabot slug, what do they measure when cast from lead and also from WW's?
I'm interested in doing some load development with the Lyman, to see if I can get them to shoot better than the Lee.
At present, I cast the Lee 1oz slug, and from straight lead, they measure .680". Cast from wheelweights they measure .683-.684"
I get decent accuracy from the Lee 1oz. using their data and HS6 powder.
After reading Dixie Slugs' posts, I'll be casting slugs from ww's instead of straight lead, so they don't deform from acceleration forces and pressure.
I'm interested in buying the Lyman sabot slug mold, but if it casts too small in diameter, I may look at making a mold, or buying a custom mold, or maybe one from NEI or?

ovendoctor
04-14-2008, 02:58 PM
dont forget the shot cups have different thickness petals

you can make up the difference of bore size with different shot cups:)

Trapshooter
04-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I cast up a few tonight, and measured .710 or .711, mostly wheel weight alloy. I was going to do this sooner, but just got a round tuit.

Trapshooter

m stevenson
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info, I was given some from Hornsurgeon, and they must be from lead, because they measure in the .695" range.
That's good to know, I have some different wads here that have shotcup petals measuring .020", .025" and .030", so there should be a good fit in my Hastings barrel for them.

Mark