PDA

View Full Version : Question On Cast Boolets

lonewolf5347
10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I recall that we measured these cast bullets at about 10.1 Brinell.

The above statement was from track of the wolf cast bullets
bullet 405 grain round nose .458 for the 45-70?
I been reading a lot of different post on cast alloys seem a 20 to 1 mix will give you a BHN of 5
I would like to know what the above bhn would be ?
I also seem to be getting a better idea on loading BP in bullet cases example if using a flat base bullet a card wad is used begore the bullet is seated into the case along with a compression die to compree the powder charge,but when using gas check bullet ,does anyting go betwen the bullet and powder.
I would also like to know what are the advantages in using a gas check compared to a flat base bullet?

Bullshop
10-14-2005, 12:37 PM
lonewolf5347
Using the Brinell scale a #5 is what pure soft lead should measure. A 20/1 alloy should be closer to BHN 9. When using BP the card wad is to protect the soft base from defromation from the powder kernals on ignition so the gas check would take its place. You may still need a wad if the seated boolit base does not reach the compressed powder. The boolit base should sit on the powder or wads which ever the case but never leave space between them. If using BP the biggest advantage to using a gas check is each round will cost more. If it cost more it must be better right?
BIC/BS

The Nyack Kid
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Gascheck shanks make a good extra lube grove . They also scrape lead out of the barrel . they are also one extra step to preform .

SharpsShooter
10-14-2005, 06:00 PM
I recall that we measured these cast bullets at about 10.1 Brinell.

The above statement was from track of the wolf cast bullets
bullet 405 grain round nose .458 for the 45-70?
I been reading a lot of different post on cast alloys seem a 20 to 1 mix will give you a BHN of 5
I would like to know what the above bhn would be ?
I also seem to be getting a better idea on loading BP in bullet cases example if using a flat base bullet a card wad is used begore the bullet is seated into the case along with a compression die to compree the powder charge,but when using gas check bullet ,does anyting go betwen the bullet and powder.
I would also like to know what are the advantages in using a gas check compared to a flat base bullet?

Typically 8-9 BNH is 20:1 mix. Lower BNH readings are generally classed as pure lead. The card or vegtable wad is used to prevent gas cutting that would deform a flat base boolit and reduce accuracy. I have not tried gas checks with the Holy Black, but others have with mixed results, so I will stick with the veggi wad. It is inexpensive and very effective too. Nothing is needed between the gas check and powder, but be positive that there is NO air gap between boolit and powder, as this can wreak havoc on the chamber of your rifle.

:coffeecom