PDA

View Full Version : What you like to own vs what you like to shoot

cbashooter
11-28-2015, 02:16 AM
For me I like to shoot Muzzleloaders,good European airguns and ,oddball single shots.
I like to own my AK's, CZ Scorpion,Various home defense shotguns etc...
I find less enjoyment shooting the latter but
"Have" to own those types of guns.

Mica_Hiebert
11-28-2015, 02:28 AM
Got the black rifles but I enjoy shooting my revolvers and lately suppressed 22s

runfiverun
11-28-2015, 02:37 AM
for some reason I keep on attracting the ugliest bubba'd up milsurp rifles on the planet. [some don't even work]
I don't remember buying most of them, I think some just wandered in to get warm then multiplied on their own.

I mostly enjoy shooting lever guns, and target rifles with cast boolits though.

cbashooter
11-28-2015, 02:51 AM
I got a bunch of those sub $100 bubba rifles. it's a joy to be out with those with cast bullets and once in a while out shooting guys with their really high and Jacketed bullet guns.

badbob454
11-28-2015, 02:57 AM
Love a 30-06 garand, or an m1a1 in 308. But i shoot a 308 black rifle and a sks and a. 10 mm glock

Lead Fred
11-28-2015, 04:50 AM
30-06 Garand & Model 700.

600 yards has become boring

Hickok
11-28-2015, 08:11 AM
When I am shooting off the bench to develop a good load or check out a new firearm, I tend to be too serious, too concerned, too "business-like" and it can take away some of the enjoyment. But after everything gets sorted out and shooting well, that's when I really have fun and it is stress reliever.

I love to shoot a good lever action with a tang sight at long ranges. The milk jug with water is a favorite target placed at various distances. My M1A NM is a favorite at extreme ranges, I like to keep clicking in the sights and "walk the bullets in" until I start connecting. The peep sights on the Garand and the M1A are amazing.

For handguns, I love shooting my two Ruger New Model Vaqueros in .45 Colt. I can shoot them without painful recoil, and they just "feel right" in my hands.

My AR's and AK 47 are always fun, and I prefer my Arsenal Arms AK in 5.45x39. Very Accurate rifle and extremely low recoil.

What would I like to own? A nice Sharps in 45/70. I have a Pedersoli Sharps Berdan "paper-cutter" and would like a brass cartridge Sharp's to go with it.

Sasquatch-1
11-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I, like the cbashooter, love to shoot traditional Muzzle Loaders. My opinion of an assault rifle is a caplock instead of a flintter.

Now I have to own my revolvers. Cap & ball single action double action, just have to have them.

frkelly74
11-28-2015, 09:12 AM
I used to just go to the rifle range for some peace and quiet, when I lived close to a free DNR supported range. Now it is not as simple as that. It was fun to help guys kill the pop cans that they were trying to scare to death with their new guns while I was using old well used looking guns and home made ammo.

Petrol & Powder
11-28-2015, 09:51 AM
As for what I like to shoot I go through phases; right now it seems to be revolvers. Because the phases change it is prudent to have all of the other types of firearms on hand :bigsmyl2: for that inevitable change.

Shiloh
11-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I'd like one of the replica single shot Springfield or Sharps trapdoor rifles with the target sights.
.45-70 or .40-65.

SHiloh

Blackwater
11-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Good post, and there IS a distinction between what we LIKE to shoot, and what we NEED to shoot. For me, I love long range rifle shooting, and for that, have a blueprintee M-700 with custom heavy barrel in .260 Rem. I NEED to keep my hand in with my hunting rifles, and like to try new loads with them and keep the sights checked out for POI. My first love, I guess, if I had to pick just one, would have to be my handguns, .45 auto, DA revolvers mostly in .357 or .38, and my SA's. Of the lot, I like shooting the SA's best. Managing that long hammer fall is getting to be more of a challenge with each passing year it seems, and I've always liked challenges. I'd have to pick that as my great favorite, but the .45 auto in spur of the moment "combat" scenarios sure is a lot of fun, not to mention humbling at times. This post makes me ashamed because I really need to get out there again and refresh what used to be my skills once!

paul h
11-28-2015, 01:17 PM
I guess I'm the odd ball as what I like to own is what I like to shoot. If I'm not shooting something then it gets moved out to fund something I will shoot.

The one exception is 22rf, good ammo is still scarce up here so I haven't had the rimfires to the range in awhile and they're not going anywhere.

mart
11-28-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't have guns that I don't like to shoot. I have several I don't get to shoot enough but that's a matter of finding the free time to get to the range. I seem to gravitate to the odd ones that require some level of case forming; 400 Whelen, 222 Rimmed, 6mmx222, 25 Remington, 256 Mannlicher (6.5x53R), 401 Powermag. I get a lot of enjoyment from researching the history of a cartridge, locating components, forming brass, working up loads and finally using it in the field. This year I finally scored a cow moose with my 400 Whelen after a few years of building and load development and a couple of unsuccessful years of moose hunting. That brought me a lot of joy to finally take some game with Colonel Whelen old wildcat.

DerekP Houston
11-28-2015, 02:35 PM
I like my black rifles...but I honestly don't shoot them much.

oldblinddog
11-28-2015, 03:11 PM
I like Remington 510's and Remington 700's and have several of each. :bigsmyl2:

And S&W revolvers of any persuasion...

bangerjim
11-28-2015, 03:18 PM
LOVE long guns and revolvers of all kinds and cals.

HATE semiautomatic pistols with a passion. "If you can't get 'er done is 6 shots....give up & throw the gun at them!"

banger

country gent
11-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I enjoy a good service rifle match with the M1A, a well tuned garang or Ar. I am really enjoying the bpcr sihlouette matches with my hepburn, CPA stevens or sharps alot also. I also enjoy the various handguns really enjoy a day out with the 1911 in 38 spl. light recoil extremely accurate, just plain fun. But my top wanted rifle would be a earlier ( 19002-1930s) Holland and Holland double rifle in 500 nitro or one of the big english "stopping" calibers. Just something about the lines balance and overall looks that makes them so appealing to me.

shooter93
11-28-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm with a couple of the posters...I don't own a gun I don't enjoy shooting. I have at times owned ones to try out but they don't stay long if I don't enjoy them. I've been through a pile of guns over the years and pretty much have it narrowed down to the ones I want to keep and shoot forever. I have a couple to sell yet and then it's just load and shoot the ones I like.

Digital Dan
11-28-2015, 06:53 PM
I enjoy shooting a few .22s. Used to do more but it isn't as convenient as it used to be. I think having the New Jersey and anchoring in the mouth of the Potomac River would be a hoot.

goryshaw
11-28-2015, 11:06 PM
I set a goal of making Distinguished Rifleman while my eyesight is still good enough to see the front site. So my AR-15 A2 NM sees the most usage, 2-3 sessions a week practicing on a SR-1. But they aren't relaxing and fun sessions, they're structured and anything outside the 3 in inch 10 ring is a disappointment. When I just want to have fun I grab a Garand or any milsurp that catches my eye that day. If I'm just plinking in the desert or the mountains I'm most likely to be using a revolver or a pistol caliber lever action, unfortunately those times have been rare lately.

Scharfschuetze
11-29-2015, 02:05 AM
The Army and the PD supplied me with some pretty good weapons over the years and yes, I needed to shoot those. Who knows how many thousands of rounds from 38 Specials through 106mm recoilless rifles and most everything in between. Went Distinguished Rifleman shooting for the Army and Distinguished Expert Pistol Shot shooting for the PD's pistol team and I treasure every moment of shooting in competition and on deployments with those organizations.

Now in retirement, I get to shoot what I want to shoot when I want to. Over the years, I've covered most of the bases with wise investments that I'll pass on to my son. While it may seem like hearsay in this forum, I've been shooting a lot of skeet lately with a Browning Citori over and under with matching 20 and 28 gauge barrel sets. Don't need to see that darned front sight with a shotgun!

Here are some of my favorites. As you can see, I like real walnut, iron sights and blued/parkerized steel.

alg3205
11-29-2015, 02:13 AM
From revolvers to semi auto pistols, bolt guns and semi auto rifles, I feel a need to shoot them all. Even the shotguns are a joy to use. I guess I am lucky, my wants and needs are the same.

c1skout
11-29-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm in my 40's now so my semi-auto guns don't always make the trip to the range when I go to have fun. When my boy comes along they get a workout though. He prefers my 45acp Blackhawk to all the others, so he puts his brass back into the bag...... and then runs around picking up MY brass!

W.R.Buchanan
11-29-2015, 02:40 AM
I don't have any guns I don't like to shoot. I have lots of guns, in fact my wife claims I have way too many.

I shoot a variety of disciplines. I really enjoy the Three Gun Shoots but need to shoot them more regularly. They are practice for SHTF if it ever comes. I go to Front Sight at least once a year but that needs to be twice. There I tune up my Auto Pistol shooting and Black Gun techniques to enhance my 3 gun shooting and combat readiness.

I like shooting Skeet at my Club but need to shoot way more than once a month to get any good. I love my Shotguns which are all nice Browning Autos and O/U's and I'd love to have an excuse to own a Kreighoff some day.

But the type of shooting I like best right now is Silhouettes, both Long and Short Range. I am much better at the short range game and I have won my Clubs SR competition for the last 4 years first in Rimfire and now Big Bore.

I usually shoot one gun each year and stick with it until it is completely dialed in. First I shot my Mauser 22 with open sights which I've had since 1968. I shot my Personal Best with that gun at 32/40 using open sights. The following year I shot my M2 Springfield. Still won but best score with that gun was 26/40. It is a work in progress that will continue when Rimfire ammo becomes more available.

For the last two years I have been shooting three or four different Big Bore Rifles. I started with my Marlin 1894CB in .44 cal and it is a joy to shoot. This year I changed to my $200 refurbished Enfield #4 mk1 which has proven to be an excellent shooter with Cast Boolits. 31/40 for that gun. The last two shoots I have used my Marlin 1895 CB with Cast Boolits and I am still dialing that gun in but it is looking good. Shot 18/40 this month.

I really like refurbishing Sporterized Military Rifles and using them for my Silhouette Shoots. They are cheap to buy and shoot as well or better than most of the other guys high end rifles. I have been working on a Enfield #4 Mk1* Long Branch I had rebored to .35-303 and I plan on using it next year in the Short Range shoots.

I mostly like older guns I can put some work into and increase their value and enjoy shooting.

I have to like every gun I own, because if I don't like it, I sell it. but obviously I like some more than others.

Randy

clum553946
11-29-2015, 05:32 AM
mac 10! Shot one in Las Vegas & was hooked! Can't own one in sunny California or I'd save my pennies & get one!

brtelec
11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
There is nothing in my safe that I do not like to shoot, but there are things I prefer to shoot. If a firearm lays around in my safe a couple of years it will become something else through the magic of getting sold and using the money for something else. I have owned 4 AK's and just never have liked shooting them very much, gone. I own 2 AR's the SBR with a 8" barrel and folding stock is awful handy. I do not shoot it much but it may be very useful someday. The other is a 24" in 6.8 SPC it is ok to shoot and I break it out a couple of times a year, but it will never see the field time that the #1 in 220 Swift see will see. Firearms are like golf clubs, there is a perfect firearm for every shot. That does not mean that they all have to come out of the bag every round.

hickfu
12-01-2015, 12:46 AM
I mostly enjoy shooting lever guns, and target rifles with cast boolits though.

I knew you were a man with good taste!!!

hickfu
12-01-2015, 12:51 AM
I shoot mostly leverguns (Marlins mostly) 1895SBL 45-70, 1950 336A 35 Remington, 1894 44 Mag, 39D 22 S-L-LR

But I love oddball stuff like the 7.65 Argentine, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x57 300 Savage and have all of them.
I love my 7mm Mag (damn accurate at any range!!)

But I still look for older Marlins when I can afford them.

Tailhunter
12-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Marlin Lever Guns for like and shoot. Is there really anything more enjoyable then a good lever gun?

Forrest r
12-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Love my 1911's but still own the double stack plastic's.

Love my long bbl's adjustable sighted revolvers but still own the fixed sighted snubnose's.

Love my 03-a3 & m1922 but still own an ar.

Love the walnut & old iron of my 308 puma rifle but still own plastic stocked 223 & 308 bolt guns.

GhostHawk
12-01-2015, 08:42 AM
What I own, Milsurp rifles and cheap single shots.
What I like to shoot are accurate rifles, I don't reach for long range.
serendipity is having some rifles that are in both groups.
An hour spent at the range when the boolits are all clumped together in the Bullseye leaves me a happy camper.

And I shoot only cast, only exception is .223 where I shoot a mix of cast and Jwords.

Mal Paso
12-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Marlin Lever Guns for like and shoot. Is there really anything more enjoyable then a good lever gun?

Yes but women are a lot more dangerous.

paul h
12-01-2015, 01:04 PM

...and expensive

Hick
12-04-2015, 01:14 AM
I bounce back and forth among my rifles. I'll shoot several trips to the range with the Garand, then get to wondering what new load might work in my Model 94 30-30, then get a little tired of the recoil and pull out my 32 WS with a cast load for awhile-- then back to some new experiment. Being a retired engineer I get to experimenting a lot-- always something new. The only thing I like to own that I don't shoot a lot is my 1907 Remington Model 4 (22lr). It's fun to shoot but I can't reload for it, so I'm usually experimenting with one of the other rifles.

Jtarm
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
DA revolvers and... DA revolvers:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b511/jtcarm/MP/CE79907C-AB36-4661-B45C-0A354CE4F961_zpsb85vy0ag.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/jtcarm/media/MP/CE79907C-AB36-4661-B45C-0A354CE4F961_zpsb85vy0ag.jpg.html)

Doggonekid
12-07-2015, 01:28 AM
I really like shooting my revolvers. All 6 of S&W magnums. One reason I like my revolvers over my 1911's I don't have to chase my brass around. When I shoot my 1911's I like to shoot steel targets. The most fun I have shooting is shooting the large bore hand cannons.

The gun I would like to shoot is the 50 BMG. I must be a glutten for punishment.

Jtarm
12-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Thats one of the same reason I love revolvers. Plus they're made for cast boolits.

I wouldn't mind shooting a 50, so long as it's an M2 mounted on a tripod.

Iowa Fox
12-07-2015, 04:05 PM
I'll always remember the 50 as the most obnoxious weapon I ever fired.

Fishman
12-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I like to own and shoot guns.

That makes me an accumulator, not a collector.

I'm ok with that.

snoopy
12-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I like the da revolvers, muzzies, and levers, also like the milsurps, don't shoot the shotguns much or the semi pistols but do on occasion

Area Man
12-08-2015, 01:13 PM
I like to shoot less common calibers - 17HM2 (still the greatest squirrel round ever), 445 Super Mag, 17 Fireball, 20 Vartarg

However when it comes to the reality of ownership I like it to be comparatively easy to feed the beast and I'll go with a 22, 44 Mag, 223.

Jtarm
12-08-2015, 11:06 PM
...and expensive

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b511/jtcarm/B299130D-54BC-4D88-AF6B-1C1FD7EE853C_zps64dqr2qt.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/jtcarm/media/B299130D-54BC-4D88-AF6B-1C1FD7EE853C_zps64dqr2qt.jpg.html)

Mal Paso
12-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Rotflmao

rking22
12-09-2015, 12:01 AM
I don't buy guns I don't like too shoot.. If it's too valuable to shoot ,someone else needs it more than I. That said I like blued steel and walnut, vintage working guns generally of the pre WWII period or into the 50s and 60s. Revolvers, mostly cause I hate chasing brass, 1911s, Beretta 380s, and 22RF autos exempted. It needs to feel good in the hands and shoot where I look to stay around my house.Most people would consider my hunting guns collectors items. As far as protection/SHTF type stuff, there are flintlocks,M1s,870s and revolvers to fill that need. Not much new on the shelves holds any interest for me over the past 10 years. Although Ruger and Smith still keep me looking, the M69 and I'm waiting for a 41 Special GP100 from Ruger. I have one at Clements, so I figure Ruger will make it a month after I get mine:)

Jtarm
12-09-2015, 06:11 PM
I don't buy guns I don't like too shoot.. If it's too valuable to shoot ,someone else needs it more than I.

Same here. The only safe queens I own are of sentimental value. If fact I need to dispose of some superfluous revolvers. Sometimes I like em too much[emoji3]. More than I shoot regularly is more stuff to take care of and less time for shooting/reloading.

I never gave it much thought, but the way things are going, it may be time to invest in some SHTF guns & gear. My revolvers, bolt actions & double barrels may not be up to it.

rbuck351
12-10-2015, 02:56 AM
Most of my guns were bought because they are fun to shoot. A couple or three were bought to kill things that want to kill me. 416 Rem, 358N, 870 with fast heavy slugs, xdm in 45acp These are not so much fun as a Win 92 in 25/20 or 32/20 or a MKI Ruger 22 or a bunch of other shooters but I need them.

gwpercle
12-10-2015, 02:33 PM
If I'm going to own it ...then I'm going to shoot it !

Two guns that I've always wanted to own and shoot are reproductions of the 1860 Henry lever action and a 1874 Sharps ....originals are too valuable to shoot and I would like to shoot them a lot !
Have no idea why.....I need a Sharps like I need another child to raise. The Henry might be practical as home defense....the original assault rifle !

Gary