PDA

View Full Version : Is crimping gas checks necessary?

stubbicatt
11-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Stupid question... here goes. I understand the RCBS 180 grain 30-30 bullet will accept a Hornady gas check, it just sort of snaps into place. Must one push it through a sizer die to crimp it into place?

Trying to avoid buying another sizer die if I can, and just pan lube these babies.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
11-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Yes, it must be crimped in place as it goes into your sizer die.

If you don't like the idea of that, a good machinist could removed the gas check shank in your mold and turn it into a plain base design.

stubert
11-27-2015, 10:15 AM
If it is not crimped in a bottle neck case, it could fall off inside the case.

Down South
11-27-2015, 10:56 AM
^^^^. They need to be crimped on. You could purchase a Lee Push through die pretty cheap.

waco
11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
^^^^. They need to be crimped on. You could purchase a Lee Push through die pretty cheap.

Yep. Like $20
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523184/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-311-diameter

bangerjim
11-27-2015, 12:19 PM
If not "crimped" on by the sizing die, it will probably just FALL OFF! You have to crimp it on!

do it the right way, take the little time it takes to use the sizing die and your GC's will stay on.

If you are not using a sizing die now.......get one made by Lee. That is all I ever use. They cost very little.

banger

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Is crimping gas checks necessary?

Stupid question... here goes. I understand the RCBS 180 grain 30-30 bullet will accept a Hornady gas check, it just sort of snaps into place. Must one push it through a sizer die to crimp it into place?

Trying to avoid buying another sizer die if I can, and just pan lube these babies.

Thanks in advance.
The GC itself is not "necessary". If the cost of a sizing die is your reason to go without the crimp, why not go without the GC and save 2¢ more per boolit ?
I am serious here and am not being sarcastic...here is info.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256052-Shooting-Gascheck-Boolits-Without-a-Gascheck

Love Life
11-27-2015, 12:52 PM
You could always stake crimp them, but run the issue for base distortion and the GC still isn't as secure as it would be if run through a sizing die.

Larry Gibson
11-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Not crimping the crimp on GC can cause all sorts of problems as mentioned. Biggest problem will be the oversize diameter of the uncrimped GC when seating the bullet. When you simplify or short cut things too far the results may not be worth even the minimal effort.

A Lee push through sizer is neither too expensive(?) nor too hard to use?

Larry Gibson

44man
11-27-2015, 01:30 PM
GC's are usually larger in diameter then the boolit so they need sized to boolit size.
If not, they size the brass larger as you seat and ruin case tension.
Larry beat me to it and is 100% correct.

Seeker
11-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Yep. Like $20
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523184/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-311-diameter

+ you get 2/3ds of the ingredients for a nice batch of BLL. Sweet deal!

catskinner
11-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Just measured some Hornady GC's. .320 O.D. Really should be crimped. If you don't have a lube sizer get the Lee sizing die.

rondog
11-28-2015, 12:18 AM
I wanna watch you seat a boolit with an uncrimped GC into a case.....

scottfire1957
11-28-2015, 12:37 AM
I wanna watch you seat a boolit with an uncrimped GC into a case.....

Yeah. Don't follow every recommendation, ever. Is there anywhere, ever, when a crimp is NOT advised?

I admit, I've never used a gas check, but every, I mean every source I have read calls for a crimp.

Perhaps you have done no research at all. Or, at least, less than I.

Edit for typo

stubbicatt
11-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks fellas.

These days I'm using a Star sizer, and even the Lathesmith dies and punches are not exactly cheap. Good quality, yes. Cheap? No.

I guess I'll just "bite the bullet" and send some bullets to Lathesmith and have a proper die and punch set made up.

Regards,
Stubb

ETA: Sarcasm is not helpful, is disrespectful, and in my view, reflects poorly on one's character. It is a way of trying to make someone else feel stupid, and belittled. There are many ways of communication, but sarcasm is a dominance ploy, typically exhibited by those who don't like themselves very much. I feel pity for such insecure folks.

It didn't work. :)

45-70 Chevroner
11-28-2015, 12:33 PM
All most every one that commented on this question reccommended the Lee push through die, because you wanted to save some money. Now your talking about spending some big money. I'm not chastizing you but they were trying to steer you in the right direction.

Down South
11-29-2015, 09:56 AM
I have crimped GC's on Boolits in my Star pushing the Boolit through nose first using a flat punch.
I know that it is preferred to crimp GC's through a sizer die base first but what I did worked for my application.