PDA

View Full Version : Lee .500 360 grain minie

spfd1903
11-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Never cast or shot a Minie projectile. Got the mold up to temperature and pressure poured some nice slugs. I have a Thompson Center Impact. Should I lube these with Alox, or lube them before loading with Thompson lube? Is the slug inserted bare, or is a barrier between the powder and slug required? Thanks

rodwha
11-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Alox wasn't designed for BP.

I've used Gatofeo's #1 lube on my REALs and found it worked well. I also use it on my cap n ball bullets and wads. It's an original recipe that was used on outside lubricated bullets.

By weight it is:

1 part mutton tallow
1part paraffin wax (Gulf Wax)
1/2 part beeswax

This is made in a double boiler (jar inside of a pot with boiling water). Once it begins to melt stir well.

I havent tried pan lubing yet. I've poured it into a soap mold and cut chunks used like a crayon. It was interesting at first but becomes tedious when there are hundreds to do.

rmark
11-29-2015, 05:07 PM
Crisco is what I use with minies in my repro musket.

Hickok
11-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Don't use any alox.

Crisco, Thompson lube or SPG, etc, on the outside of the Minie in the grease grooves. Nothing in the base of the Minie.

Powder charge first down the barrel, then the greased minie ball. Put a little pressure on the Minie ball with the ramrod after it seats on the powder charge. Don't deform or beat the minie with the ramrod, just give it some good even pressure on the powder with the ramrod.

50/50 pure beeswax and Crisco makes a good black powder lube.

spfd1903
12-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice.