PDA

View Full Version : Leak in 450 Lyman

401pm
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Guy's
I'm new here and not sure if this is the right spot for this topic or not? I've just started casting again after I discovered this site kind of renewed my interest. I'm using a Lyman 450 luber/sizer maybe 20 yrs old. When I size I'm getting a ribbon of lube coming out the bottom around the die. I don't remember this happening years ago. So my question is there maybe an O ring or something that’s gone bad or something I have adjusted wrong??? any help is appreciated. Oh ya cool site.
Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Blkpwdrbuff
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
401, the O-ring on the bottom of the 450 is either broken or gone.
Lyman has the repair parts or for about $40 will install your 450 parts onto a 4500 base.
That's what I did with mine a year or so ago. I'm glad I did.
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

beagle
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
You say coming out around the bottom of the die??? If it's coming out the bottom of the sizer, a piece of rubber 1/8" thick between the bottom of the sizer and a piece of 2" X 6" lumber and a couple of lag bolts will cure that.

If around the bottom of the die, you might try cleaning the seat for the bottom of the die and trying again. There may be some hardened lube there that's keeping the die from seating all the way down. Don't remember an O-ring at the bottom of the die but I could be wrong./beagle