PDA

View Full Version : The hook has been set!

Trader Vic
04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
The other day I cast my 1st boolits, this is a lot of fun. I've been following all the good info here. I got my Lee furnace & my 6 cavity mold on wednesday & went at it on thursday. I had absolutly no problems. I boiled my mold & cleaned it with alcohol, then I sprayed it with Frankford drop out. This stuff is amazing, I had no boolits hang up, open the mold & they just fell out, perfect! Being the 1st time for me it took about 7 cast to get the mold up to temp, the 2 middle cavities were always perfect with the end ones not quite filled sharp at the top. Once it got to temp it was Katie bar the door, I'm making boolits like a production line. I made about 325 good keepers, tumbled them in the alox, let them dry & loaded a dozen. No need to size, 230 gr RN for my Ruger P90. As accurate as anything I've ever used, function was fine. As I said, I'm hooked. I just want to thank all you Guys for all the great info in this forum. With everything I've learned here I don't feel like an amateur who just cast his 1st boolit. Every day I learn some new tip & bit of info here. More molds coming, I wish I would have started years ago! Many thanks...NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

targetshootr
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Wish I'd started long ago too. Fun ain't it?

:castmine:

Buckshot
04-14-2008, 03:03 AM
..............I'm really glad that your starting out has been fairly painless, and that you enjoyed it so much. It CAN be theraputic, but on other occasions when nothing you do seems to work (twill happen, sooner or later) just recall the good times and it will kinda even out :-)

If I could I'd like to recommend that you try smoking the cavities with a Bic or Zippo type lighter. That mould dropout stuff does leave a comparatively heavy coating on the cavity walls and the slug's OD will reflect this. A mould normally dropping a .359" slug (for example) may deliever one going .3572" - .3578" or so. If you haven't yet. mike a few of your production and see what you have.

.................Buckshot

Alchemist
04-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Trader Vic

Congrats on first success! I started casting in 1983...with a 1 holer Lyman 148 gr WC bullet. Boy are they picky when it comes to bullet fill-out!

Your next symptom will most likely be the lust for soft gray metal. It is addicting!

Welcome from another forum newbie!

Cheers, :drinks:
Alchemist