PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolet reloading chart???

abunaitoo
11-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Don't know if there is such a thing, but if anyone would know, it would have to be someone here.

Is there a chart that would show what boolet weight/powder charge/powder type, would be best for barrel twist/barrel length??????
Boolet size would be determined by the barrel bore.

MBTcustom
11-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Too many variables. Best thing you can do is buy a chronograph and Lyman's reloading handbook #49.
Also, have a look at this to know where you're going to get good results:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208186-RPM-Threshold-barrel-twist-velocity-chart
That's just a pretty close estimate. The only way to see what you're particular gun is capable of is to test several powders and charges with each of them.
See the Sticky I authored here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158805-Just-a-few-tips-for-new-rifle-casters

With factory rifles, and cast bullets, there is so much variance in chamber/throat characteristics, as well as each caster produces bullets their own way depending on how they run their molds, there is only one way to find out what your own rifle likes best, and that is what this forum was dedicated to helping you do.

With jacketed, it's just a matter of stuffing the shiny brown things in the shiny yellow things with the powder charge recommended, but cast bullets take finesse to get it right. Cast bullets are like women. They are soft and squishy, are easily offended, and need to be catered to and pampered.

RogerDat
11-24-2015, 05:58 PM
goodsteel I think you are right too many variables. Post a question about a specific rifle, in specific caliber, using a specific bullet and get back a dozen answers on at least 3 or 4 main powders folks use with it. Plus some powders that make you say "Hmmm, maybe?" All having shown themselves to be just right for that firearm.

And while you may be also correct on the similarity between cast and a woman (an idea I have no knowledge of or opinion on) I do know if I tell my wife she reminds me of those wad cutters in the coffee can on the bench I fear at best I'll be sleeping in the garage. At worst I will regret having nurtured her ability to shoot to the point she generally hits what she aims at.

runfiverun
11-24-2015, 09:02 PM
hmm sleep in the garage.
I could get a lot more casting and swaging if I done that.

you could narrow things down a lot if you picked a bhn and pressure range and stuck with it across the board.
I could [have/do] just use straight ww alloy and alliant 2400 powder and have very acceptable [1"or so] results in every rifle I own from the 223 through the 30-06.
it gets boring shooting everything at 1900 fps though, so I have to start branching out and try going super slow and super fast with other powders and boolit designs just cause.