PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some black powder this past weekend

duckey
11-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Bought 1LB of Schuetzen black powder ($15) this past weekend. Have been looking around for it, remembered a coworker shoots SASS and buys a couple cases a year from a dealer in western VA. I have shot Pyrodex and American Pioneer Powder for years now but making the switch to a PRB and black powder. I have a 2 cav Lee 175 GN RB mold headed my way. Not sure of pros and cons between black powder brands, from what I understand this particular powder is made with Alder wood charcoal.

Secondly...I am pondering putting a peep sight on my TC Grey hawk and want to know if it is possible, who makes a good sight without breaking the bank? Im thinking $50 +-. I also am not sure how it would mount. I have s small tapped hole at the breech that has been used when I had it scoped. I took the scope off cause #1 it just didn't look good on the gun, #2 I hunt thick woods and the iron sights just made more sense for quick target acquisition. Would I have to drill and tap? My eyes are not what they used to be and I have issues focusing front and rear sights and then the target. I held a percussion the other day with a peep and liked it, no blurryness. If you have any peep sights in mind please post up a pic for reference. Thanks.

fouronesix
11-24-2015, 07:41 PM
I like Schuetzen (Graf Wano) powder and shoot quite a bit of it in my MLs. IMO it tends to leave softer fouling than some powders. If you look at Graf powder it is Schuetzen, just under the Wano name.

Peeps work well on MLs. Not too hard to fashion something that will work. T/C used to make a tang mounted peep and Lyman may still? On a modern factory ML I wouldn't worry about adding another threaded hole for mounting. I don't know about current pricing of them- no telling in the used market. The tangs on most T/Cs traditionals, like the Hawken model, has a D&Td hole already in the tang for the purpose. The T/C peep shown uses the rear main tang screw and the smaller forward screw for mounting.

Some mount peeps up on the barrel and even use modified leaf sights as peeps. Works OK but a bunch of sight radius is lost in doing that. And many of the forward mounted peeps, by the nature of the optical effects, become ghost ring sights.

Here's a pic of a T/C peep mounted on a T/C Hawken. The Lyman peep also mounts on the tang but is larger and somewhat bulkier with some of the windage and elevation adjustment parts hanging out the side- similar to a regular receiver mounted Lyman aperture sight.

duckey
11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
I like that sight and wondered about a tang mounted sight. That is what I'm after. I'll have to search for a Lyman or TC sight.

fouronesix
11-24-2015, 09:29 PM
I have occasionally seen the T/C peeps at gunshows and on sites like fleabay. They may be within the $50 range used. Here's a pic of the Lyman tang mounted peep for MLs from their catalog site. Suggested retail new is about $95. Price used- who knows?

swathdiver
11-24-2015, 10:43 PM
Schuetzen is good powder. Seems to be the same power as regular Goex, less smoke and slightly less fouling.

duckey
11-25-2015, 10:52 AM
I like the sight that fouronesix posted but couldn't find one on the inter web. Lots of peeps for lever guns and old sharps with the tall post. Will keep on looking.

Boogieman
11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
There is a TC sight with the tang on e-bay it's at $67.00 right now.

OverMax
11-25-2015, 07:23 PM
I haven't bothered to buy B/P in a while. But when I did I always bought it locally in my hopes to save some ($) on the hazmat fee. If your Schuetzen black powder has alder charcoal. That's a respectable quick burning powder. No doubt about that. My state has Alder but I've to date been using Black willow charcoal in my powder and too having excellent results with it also.
As far as a peep. Williams Foolproof is a much sturdier sight than the T/C tang mounted model and may require some extra drilling to mount. If you were to buy a Williams for your Hawken. Many online store owners may have the tooling to mount it for you. Sometimes free with the purchase of a peep or at a slight additional charge. No worries and its mounted right.

carbine
11-26-2015, 02:37 PM
That dealer in western VA might be Back Creek gun Shop. look up BlackpowderVA.com

duckey
11-28-2015, 09:55 AM
I believe it's in or near Winchester VA, located next to a huge outdoor range. (The place my co worker buys from)

mooman76
11-28-2015, 10:11 AM
I went by Sportsmanswarehouse. I heard they sold BlackMZ for $10 a #. Sure enough they had it so I bought a couple to give a try. I've been trying to get away from the faux stuff and switch over to real black but for $10 I though what the heck, I'll give it a try and I have heard good things about it.

cbashooter
11-28-2015, 10:15 AM
I've had good luck with the black mz.it's clumped up but very easy to ignite and accurate.I got it at sportsmans as well.I've got 20# now, I can't pass it up at that price.

montana_charlie
11-28-2015, 02:43 PM
I just skipped over to eBay to look at those second generation TC tang sights. There are always a few available.
I don't know what castrophe has engulfed the civilized world, but the prices on those have gone crazy.

Not long ago, forty to sixty bucks was not unusual. Now it's more like $250!

Edward
11-28-2015, 07:49 PM
My Lyman flintlock has a new in the box TC original tang I purchased on fleabay ($123.00) I guess I was the winner,but the site was worth it to me!

montana_charlie
11-29-2015, 02:55 PM
My Lyman flintlock has a new in the box TC original tang I purchased on fleabay ($123.00) I guess I was the winner,but the site was worth it to me!
Which sight did you get?

The top one needs a tall front sight ... the Lyman 17 ATC.

I don't know what front sight works with the bottom one, but it's my guess they both need that .852" tall Lyman

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/s-l1600_zpsenbv3umk.jpg

big bore 99
11-29-2015, 03:07 PM
I have a Redfield peep sight on my .58 underhammer. Works good with the tall Lyman front sight.