PDA

View Full Version : Getting started. A few questions.

pps
04-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Our range manager has given me close to 50# of free lead from a recently deceased board member (in ingots, unknown alloy but it's free). I plan on welding up an ad-hoc bullet trap to recycle lead for re casting.

For the first two molds, I plan on getting the 358091 for mouse flatus target loads, and the 358156 to really try hot rodding my n frame and my ruger.

With the 358091, it looks like the lube grooves are small enough and velocity kept slow enough that tumble lubing in liquid alox might suffice. Will the alox suffice in preventing leading in this application if I keep velocity around 800-850 ballpark?

Second question, With the 358156, will the NRA lube (which looks like a very quick and easy lube to make) help prevent leading at velocities up to around 1500fps...maybe higher if I get a marlin lever gun?

My present .357 I have slugged the bore of my smith (pain in the butt with 5 groves) and it is pretty much dead on .357 with one point of tightness where the barrel meets the frame. I have been shooting beartooth bullets at approx 1200fps (185gr .358" dia) with NO leading problems and good accuracy. My present target load is with hornady swagged lead tumbled in alox. MV of 850 fps with very mild leading after 2-300 rounds per range session.

Any other tips for a noob are welcome. I've been lurking here for a while and have seen some great advise.

HeavyMetal
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
The tumble lube will work for the target loads, suggest you ask Beartooth what there using as a boolit lube. It seems to be working for you and they must have a local supplier?

If not check that Sticky that shows all the lube formulas. I think by now everyone knows I'm not a fan of the 50-50 alox lube but I will also be the first one to tell you to go with what works for you.

GrizzLeeBear
04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
You will be fine with the tumble lube for the target loads. Thats what I use for my Bullseye competition target loads. If you do some searching you will find a lot of people shooting it much faster than that with no problems.
The 358156 can go MUCH faster. I have shot it 2,000 fps in a Marlin 35 Rem. with very good accuracy. The NRA 50/50 lube will work well on that boolit up to that speed. I have switched to Lars BAC lube, made by one of the members here. www.LsStuff.com/lube to see his web page where you can buy it. Good stuff!

pps
04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
You will be fine with the tumble lube for the target loads. Thats what I use for my Bullseye competition target loads. If you do some searching you will find a lot of people shooting it much faster than that with no problems.
The 358156 can go MUCH faster. I have shot it 2,000 fps in a Marlin 35 Rem. with very good accuracy. The NRA 50/50 lube will work well on that boolit up to that speed. I have switched to Lars BAC lube, made by one of the members here. www.LsStuff.com/lube to see his web page where you can buy it. Good stuff!

Thanks guys. That 358156 just sounds like a fantastic boolit to hot rod. Maybe after getting a little experience under my belt, I might even have one of these molds hollow pointed (only one cavity from what I've been reading) Then this design would fill much of my non target load needs....a nice LBT in the 180-185 grain ballpark would fill the rest of my needs.