PDA

View Full Version : help with rifle loading

twc1964
11-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi folks, i have a pietta 45 caliber pensylvania style reproduction rifle. It was built from a kit by a friends dad years ago. I have fired it many times yrs ago but have since lost everything for it in many moves. I cant remember how many grains of powder, ball diameter etc. This gun takes a #11 cap, that i do know. Somewhere i have a small box with lube and patches. Im looking for that now. Well, any help with powder charges and ball dia will be greatly appeciated. Thx

swathdiver
11-22-2015, 03:00 AM
Well, standard size is .440 and options are for .433 and .445 but .440 is the most popular. You may start with a 50 grain charge and go up from there in 5 grain increments.

You're going to need to work up a load again as every gun is an individual and what works best in one Pietta Pennsylvania may not shoot worth a darn in another.

rfd
11-22-2015, 09:03 AM
make sure the the barrel and vent (or nipple) are thoroughly clean. if the breech plug is a patent, usually a .22 cleaning brush will get into the patent "tunnel" to clean it out as well. i use pipe cleaners on a flinter's touch hole, and for a cap lock's nipple and clean out hole.

good advice on the pure lead ball diameter and start powder charge. i would use 3f for the tube, and if this rifle is a flintlock i'd use 3f in the pan as well, with a sharp flint.

also, and equally important, is the patch thickness. i'd buy linen patch strips in .005, .010 and .015 to trial out. start with the thinnest and cut the patch off at the muzzle - this makes for the most concentric ball patch. with a .440 ball and .005 patch, the prb should push down easy without a ball starter rod. experiment from there. i'd want a compromise of easy loading and good accuracy to 50 yards. have fun!

mooman76
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Good info. I usually start with 45 gr but that's me. You can even start lower but it depends on what you want in the end. Hunting loads, target or just funs shooting or plinking. You can buy a patch lube or make your own from common household ingredients like Crisco. Old lubed patches often aren't that good. Lube dries out or it can cause the patches to weaken over time. Cheaper to make your own anyway.

twc1964
11-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Thx all for the ideas. I will get my odds and ends together and give er a whirl.

koger
11-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Shot a .45 for years in competition, 45 grs of 3fffg, for hunting 70-75 will do!

twc1964
11-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Koger, it seems like i remember it being between 65-75 grains that we used to load in it. Guess i just need to get things together and go shoot some targets and see if it shoots as well as i remember lol. My eyes have thirty years of age since i shot it in my early 20's. I do remember that it was loads of fun and the smoke was a hoot for the younguns. Thx again all.