PDA

View Full Version : &$@#Post Office

rockrat
11-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Went to the PO to send a reamer back to Goodsteel. Only open 10am to noon and only one window open. Line went out the door to the PO. Open at 8am on weekdays, but only one window open until 10am IIRC. You would think with the holidays near, they would have more people there.

Good thing the stamps are "forever" as that makes us miss the postal rate increase while waiting in line.:bigsmyl2: That should be the Post Office's new motto "Forever", like their stamps and the wait in line to mail stuff.

Maybe release a little nitrous oxide in the air to keep everyone "happy".

In my opinion it would be nice if they hired a few more people, but maybe they have trouble getting people to pass a drug test (this is Colorado!!) , or maybe, manager doesn't want to spend the money. Might make them look bad and mess up any bonus they might get (only guessing here-my opinion)

smokeywolf
11-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Perhaps they have the notion that if they can make you stand in line long enough, they can charge you rent for that space.

Hardcast416taylor
11-21-2015, 06:22 PM
About a year or so back we had the chance to vote on what our local P.O. would be open and what days. Now weekdays it is open from 8 A.M. till 10:30 A.M. 6 days a week.Robert

jcwit
11-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Wow! I live in a small town of less than 4,000 folks. Our PO is open from 9 am till 5 pm Monday thru Friday and Saturday from 9 am till noon. They have even opened an hour early when I had a large mailing of 500 catalogs.

I guess you might look at it this way, if this is your biggest problem till the end of the year your doing pretty good.

gpidaho
11-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Post office counters are always understaffed and slower than the second coming. I'm done buying things here that require a USPS Money order. Gp

shoot-n-lead
11-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Huh...post office ain't the only place that I have to stand in line...

alamogunr
11-21-2015, 07:38 PM
There is another thread where several have complained about the post office hiring temps.:veryconfu

bedbugbilly
11-21-2015, 07:54 PM
At our PO . . the "window or counter" is open from 8:30 to 5:00 M - F and 8:30 - Noon on Saturday . . BUT . . . there usually is a line most times. Only one is full time besides the Post Mistress, the rest are "part time" even though some have worked there for years. Why? So the PO doesn't have to pay full benefits, etc. The other day, I stood in line for quite a while as there was only one clerk on the window . . and she is a hard worker. The Post Mistress walked by, saw a bunch of us in line . . . and kept right on going in to her office instead of opening the other window to help those that buy postage to pay her salary . . . after all . . "I'm Post Mistress . . ain't my job". Add in a person in line who wants to get a Pass Port and the wait can seem like forever.

One thing I have learned in dealing with the PO well over a half a century is that it is an honor and privilege to deal with them because "they don't make mistakes". Just like all the other government bureaus and agencies . . . .

On the other hand, there are many, many good folks who work for the PO that DO do their job and go out of their way to help customers . . . and I do applaud those folks. I can only imagine what it must be like to work for the PO and try to do a good job and have to work with others who just don't care and do the minimum to get by . . but then . . that happens in any company or organization, not just the PO.

alamogunr
11-21-2015, 08:35 PM
We have somewhat the same situation as Billy except our Postmistress works the counter whenever needed. I've had her wait on me several times.

xs11jack
11-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Anyone looking to get a little better service out of the postoffice, don't hold your breath. I read yesterday that the postal service lost 1.5 Billion dollars last year.
Ole Jack

sparky45
11-21-2015, 09:17 PM
They just reported that they lost 5 BILLION their last fiscal year, they can't afford any temps.

jcwit
11-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Better do some searching as to why they lose money every year.

Has something to do with our congress.

jcwit
11-21-2015, 09:23 PM
To all those above, talk about whiners, there you are.

William Yanda
11-21-2015, 09:58 PM
I avoid using counter service as much as possible. Every chance I get I purchase postage online and request pickup. Cheaper and I don't have to fit their hit and miss schedule.

Plate plinker
11-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Better do some searching as to why they lose money every year.

Has something to do with our congress.

My neighbor is a carrier. He tells me they lose money because of the pension setup they have DEMANDS X amount of dollars wether it needs the money or not. Apparently it is some rule that the UPS must follow. Naturally this is probably mandated by congress back in the stone age. Also he said they are top heavy with management. Figures.......

MaryB
11-21-2015, 10:21 PM
I haven't stepped foot in a post office for months! I can print postage online, request a pickup, stick the package in my porch and they get it the next business day. Paypal shipping even gets me a hefty discount!

Mytmousemalibu
11-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Perhaps they have the notion that if they can make you stand in line long enough, they can charge you rent for that space.

You forgot, they will require you to get a P.O. box for that space too!

pcolapaddler
11-21-2015, 11:58 PM
I rarely go to the line. If I need to ship something, I use click and ship. You need to know the weight of your package, but that isn't too difficult an issue. They will pickup right from your door or porch.

SciFiJim
11-22-2015, 12:10 AM
My neighbor is a carrier. He tells me they lose money because of the pension setup they have DEMANDS X amount of dollars wether it needs the money or not. Apparently it is some rule that the UPS must follow. Naturally this is probably mandated by congress back in the stone age. Also he said they are top heavy with management. Figures.......

I am a mail carrier. The part about Congress being involved is that they are demanding that the Post Office prefund 75 years worth of pensions. That's not a typo. The Post Office has to prefund pensions for people that won't be born for at least another 10 years. It's Congress's way of tapping the PO for money. The PO hasn't received money from Congress since 1972 when it changed from the Postal Department to the Postal Service.

badbob454
11-22-2015, 12:28 AM
i too print postage on line .... never wait in line if its heavy just walk up and put it on the counters' end if it's light, i put it in the package bin , try to print on line its a time saver .. your time...

jcwit
11-22-2015, 12:32 AM
As I've posted on this forum before I think the USPS does one Heck of a job. Any carrier that can get product from the shipper to the consumers door across the Nation like they do is to be commended.

Yes errors happen, the system is ran by man, not God!

So you need to stand in line.
Ever go to a Dr.s office?
Ever buy groceries?
Ever go to a sporting event?
Ever go to a bank, inside or to the drive up?
Ever go to a fast food restaurant?

The list is endless.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Here's a story for all postal fans: A few months ago I won an auction for a handgun on one of the internet auctions. The seller was a pawn shop in Banning, CA, and they sent it out via US mail in a small flat rate box on June 24, thankfully with tracking. It should have gone north toward OR, but on the 29th when I felt it should have arrived and it hadn't I went to the USPS tracking site and found that it had been in San Diego on the 27th (had gone west) and had then been returned to Beaumont, CA on the 29th. Then, back to Banning and was shipped out for San Bernardino where it arrived on July 2, now headed in the right direction. On July 4 it got to Portland OR. Then it disappeared. It should have been delivered the very next day, but the tracking site said only that it had arrived in Portland. So after 8 days on, July 12th, I phoned the national customer help number in D.C. and chatted with a lady who was surprisingly helpful. I explained to her that the missing package contained a pistol and that it really wasn't something to lose, especially in view of all the shootings they've had in the postal system, the bad publicity that would ensue, etc. I also expressed my view that it could only have disappeared in the Portland post office as the record showed its arrival but no departure, and if it didn't surface soon I'd have to start phoning law enforcement starting with the Postal Inspectors. Then on the 14th of July it suddenly departed Portland at 11:17 p.m. and showed up at the local P.O. at 7:30 a.m. on the 15th where it was delivered to my gun club on the 15th at 11:08 a.m. I printed off the tracking record from their website as a souvenir and reminder to avoid using their services whenever possible. The package had probably been opened as it had lots of tape on it, but thankfully the pistol was undamaged. Total time in transit was 22 days.

jcwit
11-22-2015, 12:46 AM
Here's a story for all postal fans: A few months ago I won an auction for a handgun on one of the internet auctions. The seller was a pawn shop in Banning, CA, and they sent it out via US mail in a small flat rate box on June 24, thankfully with tracking. It should have gone north toward OR, but on the 29th when I felt it should have arrived and it hadn't I went to the USPS tracking site and found that it had been in San Diego on the 27th (had gone west) and had then been returned to Beaumont, CA on the 29th. Then, back to Banning and was shipped out for San Bernardino where it arrived on July 2, now headed in the right direction. On July 4 it got to Portland OR. Then it disappeared. It should have been delivered the very next day, but the tracking site said only that it had arrived in Portland. So after 8 days on, July 12th, I phoned the national customer help number in D.C. and chatted with a lady who was surprisingly helpful. I explained to her that the missing package contained a pistol and that it really wasn't something to lose, especially in view of all the shootings they've had in the postal system, the bad publicity that would ensue, etc. I also expressed my view that it could only have disappeared in the Portland post office as the record showed its arrival but no departure, and if it didn't surface soon I'd have to start phoning law enforcement starting with the Postal Inspectors. Then on the 14th of July it suddenly departed Portland at 11:17 p.m. and showed up at the local P.O. at 7:30 a.m. on the 15th where it was delivered to my gun club on the 15th at 11:08 a.m. I printed off the tracking record from their website as a souvenir and reminder to avoid using their services whenever possible. The package had probably been opened as it had lots of tape on it, but thankfully the pistol was undamaged. Total time in transit was 22 days.

And as noted in my post prior to your's, they are not God, man error's, many times to often, but it is what it is.

starbits
11-22-2015, 02:30 AM
My sister works for the PO. Seems they recently got new lanyards for their ID badges. Not a big deal except that each employee received them in a mailed priority box, insured, signature required. I guess that was cheaper than mailing them to management and having them pass them out.

Starbits

Artful
11-22-2015, 02:49 AM
Der Gebirgsjager (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?36222-Der-Gebirgsjager) - wouldn't it have been interesting to lift the finger prints off the handgun when the package arrived and compared to the portland postal employee's...:bigsmyl2:

jsizemore
11-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Went to the PO to send a reamer back to Goodsteel. Only open 10am to noon and only one window open. Line went out the door to the PO. Open at 8am on weekdays, but only one window open until 10am IIRC. You would think with the holidays near, they would have more people there.

Good thing the stamps are "forever" as that makes us miss the postal rate increase while waiting in line.:bigsmyl2: That should be the Post Office's new motto "Forever", like their stamps and the wait in line to mail stuff.

Maybe release a little nitrous oxide in the air to keep everyone "happy".

In my opinion it would be nice if they hired a few more people, but maybe they have trouble getting people to pass a drug test (this is Colorado!!) , or maybe, manager doesn't want to spend the money. Might make them look bad and mess up any bonus they might get (only guessing here-my opinion)

My PO opens 2 cashiers when the line starts to grow. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Tonto
11-22-2015, 10:00 AM
It's not the post office, it's the some of the people who work there and that taints the entire branch. I've seen both ends of the spectrum, great and friendly service and folks that are so mean and passive aggressive that they could use a baseball bat to the forehead. As an overall institution, I've give them a C- and getting worse. How can a business that sells service it will never be asked to provide (stamp collectors) be so in the red?

matrixcs
11-22-2015, 10:24 AM
USPS should have been privatized years ago. You will always get better service if there is competition. They have no competition and congress makes sure of that.
We all pay the price in poor service and more taxes to support the poor service.

jcwit
11-22-2015, 11:07 AM
I remember an old saying, something to the effect of if you can not say something good, say nothing at all.

I'll elaborate on that, if you can not see/note anything good, mayhap you need to search further/and harder.

But somehow I think this will be ignored.

Handloader109
11-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Well, I'll say something good about my local Post office. There are two In Fayetteville the one that is closest to my work stays busy and has good service and a couple of great employees. Until recently I was going in two or three times a week. Two and three staff most of the time. All worked quickly and were good at their job. The one thing that I noticed was that 90% of the people who were mailing packages didn't have a clue what to do or how to package and ship. A lot walk up to the counter with a box that has not been addressed or even closed. I would lose my patience with the third or may the 4th idiot and for sure go postal!
I am glad not to be having to go in so often any more. Hats of to them

lightman
11-22-2015, 12:02 PM
For the most part, I have had good and friendly service from our Post Office. I did go in the other day needing a money order and in a hurry (a mistake) and got behind a lady mailing 12 registered letters. The employee had never done a registered letter and I waited for ever, it seemed like. The bad part was that this was for a bullet mold and the member mailed it before receiving payment, so there was no way that I was going to wait until the next day!

rockrat
11-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Our PO problem is, there were three that retired , but only one hired, to replace them. Why they don't hire more, I don't know. I can go to a town 20 miles North of me, and there is seldom over a 5 min. wait. Town 10 miles North, about 1/5th the size, seldom ANY wait.

jcwit, you have heard the old saying "sqeeky wheel gets the grease". If we don't complain, how can we change things?

There are some great people at that work at that PO, its just the management I question

jcwit
11-22-2015, 01:00 PM
jcwit, you have heard the old saying "sqeeky wheel gets the grease". If we don't complain, how can we change things?

And complaining here accomplishes just what?

Complain at the P/O in question.

Then complain to the local supervisior, and keep working up the ladder, only doing it that way will the "squeaky wheel get greased".

rockrat
11-22-2015, 01:13 PM
What good does it do to complain to the window staff. They know there is a problem. Supervisor? Never seems to be around/available. Complain here? Maybe we have someone here who works at the PO and word might get around. Online--done it, going to do it some more.

How many years do I have to do it before something gets done?

Use the power of social media to spread the word. Now, if I was on Facebook and Twitter, I would be complaining there too. Will it help? Who knows.

Kosh75287
11-22-2015, 02:11 PM
The comment "If you like the Postal System, you'll LOVE socialized medicine." Is NOT just a cliche. When the government enjoys (hege)monopoly over some vital function, you can expect inefficiency, confusion, lethargy, and error.

Plate plinker
11-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Spot on ^^^

jcwit
11-22-2015, 04:53 PM
What good does it do to complain to the window staff. They know there is a problem. Supervisor? Never seems to be around/available. Complain here? Maybe we have someone here who works at the PO and word might get around. Online--done it, going to do it some more.

How many years do I have to do it before something gets done?

Use the power of social media to spread the word. Now, if I was on Facebook and Twitter, I would be complaining there too. Will it help? Who knows.

Have you asked the window staff you'd like to speak to the Postmaster?
Have you asked the Postmaster that you'd like to speak to his/her supervisior?

Only other thing I can tell you is to live with it! Seriously doubt we can help all that much.

Ever try a little honey? Many times it gets better results than vinegar.

jcwit
11-22-2015, 04:58 PM
The comment "If you like the Postal System, you'll LOVE socialized medicine." Is NOT just a cliche. When the government enjoys (hege)monopoly over some vital function, you can expect inefficiency, confusion, lethargy, and error.

Just a note here.

The VA system here in Indiana is Excellent in their care and service. I have been under there care now for 15 years, both for primary care and both cancer & renal care.

Blanket statements seldom hold water.

Too Plate plinker: And you know this from personal experience just how?

rockrat
11-22-2015, 05:37 PM
I usually use honey. The window people are wonderful and very helpful. Don't think you could ask for better. And our route guy, lets say, too bad all route people aren't like him.

jcwit
11-22-2015, 05:50 PM
I usually use honey. The window people are wonderful and very helpful. Don't think you could ask for better. And our route guy, lets say, too bad all route people aren't like him.

Then I guess I don't know what to tell you, guess it's a "you'll have to live with it". Have fun.

MaryB
11-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Brings up something many may not think about.

I AVOID shipping high value items this tie of year. All the shippers have hired temp help who is not as dedicated or honest as you may think and this time of year is when stuff goes missing the most.

MaryB
11-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Rural carrier who delivered my mail retired. We gave him a party at the community center because he went above and beyond doing his job. Being an independent contractor he had some leeway and if someone was housebound with an injury he delivered groceries for them! He would get the list from the mailbox, pick it up when he went home and drop them off the next day on his route. The guy who replaced him started out rough by complaining about boxes being to high until we reminded him there will be 6 inches of snow pack he will drive up on to deliver. He is slowly figuring out we are pretty laid back and not demanding. My box was blocked by the guys doing the gravel work for my garage. He drove by looking for somewhere to pull over and I just waved him on and said deliver it tomorrow. He looked at me like I was nuts but bills are not that critical I need them that same day considering I pay them once a month. There were 4 side dump trucks lined up down the block and no way to get to my mailbox short of walking. Guys in the trucks were bumper to bumper trying to not block traffic at the corner from the school.

alamogunr
11-23-2015, 12:59 AM

I AVOID shipping high value items this tie of year. All the shippers have hired temp help who is not as dedicated or honest as you may think and this time of year is when stuff goes missing the most.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a handgun at the factory in a western state that should be ready to return in about 3-4 weeks. I'm going to notify them to hold off shipment until after the first of the year. Hopefully, the rush will be over by then.

jcwit
11-23-2015, 01:26 AM
Excellent thoughts put forward by Mary.

BwBrown
11-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Post office counters are always understaffed and slower than the second coming. I'm done buying things here that require a USPS Money order. Gp

Same here. I have to REALLY want something to go the USPS Money Order route. Half the time they are out of money orders (really!?!) or the computer is down.

.45Cole
11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
The only thing they deliver on time are ads. I received last week a letter postmarked 3 weeks late! it was payment for a gunbroker item so the buyer and I had a few terse conversations as he didn't track it, all thanks to the PO. All is well that ends well.

marlin39a
11-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Sounds like the problem is your local Postmaster. They are political appointees. I live in a small rural town with a great Postmaster. Long open hrs, and they really care about what they do.

fg-machine
11-23-2015, 12:55 PM
i have been happy with the usps for as long as i have gotten mail , leaving the politics aside and only looking at service .
i have been using flate rate priority mail since it started without a single complaint . i have never had a small or medium size box get lost or damaged or fail to be delivered in a timely manner . and i have sent hundreds of each out over the years . the three large boxes that i have had damaged i can lay the blame on my own self . as there is a good chance i abused the system .

and the service i get from my rural route driver has always been very good .

i however cant say the same for fed ex or ups , sure most of the time they do what you pay for and ship your packages all over the world .
but its not cheap and service from the delivery drivers is often poor .

one incident i can laugh about now but at the time had me red faced mad involved a 3 ft long cardboard tube of drill rod from enco .

one fine Tuesday afternoon last febuary i was sitting on my thumbs waiting for ups to deliver a 3 ft long cardboard tube with 5 pieces of 7/8 01 drill rod in it so i could finish up a job .
as i was chucking some wood into the fire i hear the ups truck pull into the driveway , i closed up the stove , and as i grabbed my coat and headed to the door i hear a loud clatter in the truck and a loud expletive from the truck driver .. it was the sound of the drill rod breaking threw the plastic end cap and hitting the floor of the truck i assume .

less then 10 seconds later after i make it into my coat .. out the door , around the corner just in time to see the driver toss the now empty cardboard tube out the door of the truck in the general direction of my shop door and then looked me right square in the eyes he then turned around and got back in the drivers seat and left .

but the saga does not end there when i called ups to complain about the empty package and dubious service i was pretty much called a liar up and down the ups chain of command .

alamogunr
11-23-2015, 01:06 PM
How high did you go? I would report it to the President or Chairman of the Board and ask for a response(other than call you liar).

I can understand the driver being upset that the packaging failed but to not even attempt to deliver the merchandise is unforgivable.

I guess this is why I ship guns Fedex and insure for at least the value of the package. I just shipped a handgun and insured it for $2500. More than anything, that insures that it will be delivered safely.

fg-machine
11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
i could have put more effort into it then what i did , but i had low expectations from ups in the first place so i wasn't disappointed.
at the end of the day i still needed drill rod ... a quick 7 minute or less call to enco and with an explanation of what happened i had replacements on the way and let them deal with ups .

trapper9260
11-23-2015, 01:31 PM
I know that the PO in Gilbert,AZ is not good, unless you have someone sign for what ever you send to them to go to that PO because I sent some cards and letters to a friend that live there in Gilbert and most of the time you do not know if they will get it.I sent a birthday card to her son and he never got it.But if you have them sign for it then they will get it.

gpidaho
11-23-2015, 04:08 PM
I received a 60lb. box of lead from Jetsfan-24 in todays mail. Pa. to Id. in 2 1/2 days. When I went out to meet the truck and carry in the heavy package our friendly neighborhood carrier would have none of it and carried in into the kitchen table for me with a smile, only asking "what the hecks in there, lead. When I said Yup he smiled and said "have fun" There are some truly nice folks on the routes here in Idaho. Now, if they would just properly staff the counter at the P.O. Gp

MaryB
11-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Rural delivery drivers are independent contractors who bid for routes in Minnesota. Most go above and beyond because they are members of the community and know everyone. The new guy here is finally getting broken in and he offers to carry heavy packages into the house for me. Got in 50 pounds of foundry type not to long ago and he said the same thing "what is in here? Lead?" and I said yes. He doesn't know people well yet so he asked what for and I said bullet casting. He said ohhh you have an NRA sticker in the front door window! You shoot and hunt I bet. I told him yes and that the target range I go to is cheap if he needed somewhere to go. He ended up joining the range and I have ran into him on Sundays when he has a day off.

Rural drivers have a tough job, they supply their own delivery vehicle and breakdowns are common. More than once I towed my old delivery driver Stan out of a ditch as have about half the town at one point or another. They can say no way I am not going out if it is really bad but he even buried his car at my mailbox a few times during snowstorms. He ended up stuck in town one day and I said come on in and stay warm until the plow gets by. Gave him supper and a beer as I listened to his tales of driving the bad roads during storms. Town plow guy finally got off his rear(that is a whole other story, guy is worthless!) and plowed in front of my house and down to the post office so Stan could drop off the undelivered mail and then walk the 2 blocks home. Long as he had mail in the car(he drove a beater of a Chevy Caviler) he could not leave it so he brought it in the house and we waited.

Minerat
11-29-2015, 12:40 AM
I called the PO and asked where their satellite stations are and go there. The local Ace hardware has a counter and I very seldom have to wait. And the postal person is friendly as they sell hardware too. It can be kinda inconvenient since I have a 5 minuet longer drive to get there but sometimes save 30 minuets not having to stand in line. But if the PO is holding something hostage they tried to deliver, but wouldn't leave with the neighbor then accessing the USPS web site and leaving snide comments about the counter helps stellar work with a Note 3 helps pass the time.:|

TXGunNut
11-29-2015, 01:11 PM
The main issues I've had with USPS are related to regulations so there's no fixing them and no use complaining. Counter help at the three locations I use are always helpful and the inexperienced ones stick to it until they get help or figure it out. If I need to pick up a package that won't fit in my box I can ring the bell for service long before the counter opens, there's always someone back there that will get my package for me.

hanleyfan
11-30-2015, 02:09 PM
I have had some 10 boxes of lead come through the USPS in the pass 2 years, the first one they delivered and just threw it out on the ground and it busted open, after that every time I get a heavy box they call me and say if I want the box to come get it, I have to go into their delivery section and carry it out myself, they say they are not going to injure themselves for anyone.

therealhitman
11-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Seems like an acceleration of USPS screw ups this year for me. I have had to drive into town to the depot to pick up "extra heavy" fifteen or twenty pound MFRBs. Not very convenient. They just recently lost a box of brass from tbj555 for me too. Delivered to a completely different zip code according to tracking!

Tackleberry41
12-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Post office strikes again. Ordered a barrel, get an email with a tracking # USPS 2 day priority. Said be here today, I should know better with the post office here, you can always count on another day added to anything. Tracking is useless, they were Johnny on the spot at first. Maybe 10 min from when it was dropped off to leaving the local post office, then 3 hrs to a hub, and well thats it, last entry was when it left the hub in Arizona on Dec 1. Guess it will show up eventually.

DerekP Houston
12-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Still waiting on an item purchased 3 weeks ago...no update on tracking. I have had boxes arrive in very damaged condition and some completely empty. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, sometimes they just sit for weeks not moving.

jcwit
12-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Spose they just might be totally overwhelmed with all the Black Friday Internet sales?

My understanding is they are backlogged at a number of hubs.

Any of you ever worked in production or warehouse shipping?

Alvarez Kelly
12-05-2015, 10:32 AM
I currently am waiting on a package shipped First Class through the USPS. Tracking shows it into Los Angeles sorting facility on 25 Nov. Nothing since...

kencha
12-05-2015, 11:55 AM
My understanding is they are backlogged at a number of hubs.
Boy, I'd say. I'm tracking a Priority package that took 5 days to make a 4hr trip.

At the current speed, it should arrive around Jan 5.

Any of you ever worked in production or warehouse shipping?
YES, I have, fwiw. Seems to me they have some serious mismanagement issues. It's not like the holiday season was unexpected, seeing as how it happens every year on a rather scheduled basis. :)

Tackleberry41
12-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Im guessing monday I will have to call the place I got the barrel. USPS tracking is stuck where it has been since Dec 1st. Scheduled for delivery yesterday, last tracking was Arizona. It may still show up today. Wasn't long ago I was waiting on a box from Midway, said delivered, just not to me. Completely different zip code, only thing in common was part of the street name. I was told, after several tries to get thru, that I should wait several days, then file a claim. It did eventually show up, no idea what went on, if they went back to get it, or what they did.

Tackleberry41
12-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Oh an update, apparently its REALLY slow at the Phoenix AX hub, as it took from Dec1 to Dec4th to leave that building. Great to know 2day priority really means slower than just putting it in an envelope with a stamp for 50cents.

jcwit
12-05-2015, 02:37 PM

Pretty much say's it all.

YES, I have, fwiw. Seems to me they have some serious mismanagement issues. It's not like the holiday season was unexpected, seeing as how it happens every year on a rather scheduled basis. :smile:

What quality of help do you think you'd get for a few week hitch.

With the welfare issue today, it's lucky they can hire anyone.

Tackleberry41
12-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Its a good thing the USPS has a monopoly on such things, but if there was competition the USPS would have gone bankrupt long ago.

My package I can only presume is lost. Did not show up today, the tracking still says left the AZ sorting plant, which was 3 days ago. If it has not hit some other stop in the last 3 days, doubtful it will. I think the USPS site is designed so you cannot resolve anything, the email contact would not work. And the phone system, well when you finally do get a human they cant seem to understand why your so mad, but after 30 min of yelling at their automated system your generally ready to blow by the time someone answers the phone. But they barely speak English so may not understand half of it anyways. Contacted the shipper, hopefully I can get another one sometime in the future. Good thing I did not order a reamer rental in anticipation of it getting here.

jcwit
12-07-2015, 07:52 PM
They already have competition, it's called UPS & FED-X for starters.

Plus they already are bankrupt, been running in the red for years.

Face it, and don't take that the wrong way, it is the wrong time of year. They are overwhelmed, simple as that and for what they pay part timers they aren't getting those with an IQ of 140.

Hey folks, do a google search and see what other countries pay for postal service, might be eye opening.

Tackleberry41
12-07-2015, 11:35 PM
I think most of us would be willing to pay more for better service, but it is not very likely if they raised rates they would lose any less mail or improve their service.

jcwit
12-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Way things are today, you're probably right.

Alvarez Kelly
12-08-2015, 12:53 AM
I currently am waiting on a package shipped First Class through the USPS. Tracking shows it into Los Angeles sorting facility on 25 Nov. Nothing since...

I got this package today. Tracking says it never left LA, but magically showed up in St Louis...

edler7
12-08-2015, 01:11 AM
I have a 2 day delivery that hasn't been updated since 12-1. It's somewhere between Tallahassee and the edge of the universe.

Funny how the bills always arrive on time though.

Tackleberry41
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Yea they can make sure to deliver the junk mail nobody actually reads, I bet most of us look thru to make sure no bills are in it then chuck it in the trash can. Or maybe use it to get a wood stove going.

Local post office called this morning, got my email finally, they are going to look into it, I feel so much better now. Tho I still don't have my gun barrel. Its paid for, I guess eventually the insurance will take over and they will send another one, might even make it to my mailbox this time. Makes you wonder how much money does USPS lose on insurance claims? It was $6.95 for the shipping, but will face a $184 claim.

I can somewhat understand about the holiday rush, tho its a bit early for the actual rush. And they do hire people for the season, so add a day to get something. But completely losing stuff or delivering it to the wrong zip code? I guess only way to fix the USPS is the same thing they would have to do at the VA, gut the place, fire everybody and start over.

jcwit
12-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Yea they can make sure to deliver the junk mail nobody actually reads, I bet most of us look thru to make sure no bills are in it then chuck it in the trash can. Or maybe use it to get a wood stove going.

Local post office called this morning, got my email finally, they are going to look into it, I feel so much better now. Tho I still don't have my gun barrel. Its paid for, I guess eventually the insurance will take over and they will send another one, might even make it to my mailbox this time. Makes you wonder how much money does USPS lose on insurance claims? It was $6.95 for the shipping, but will face a $184 claim.

I can somewhat understand about the holiday rush, tho its a bit early for the actual rush. And they do hire people for the season, so add a day to get something. But completely losing stuff or delivering it to the wrong zip code? I guess only way to fix the USPS is the same thing they would have to do at the VA, gut the place, fire everybody and start over.

I really hope & pray they do not do that here. My care is excellant, I've spent overnights there and they took care of my wife as well as me, meals and all, they've operated on me with complete success, I get all my cancer care there, as good if not better than the Cancer Center where I went 15 years ago, they were only a money pit, why do you think they advertise on TV.

I get all my health care there, Fort Wayne VA Hospital.

Remember, the Postal Service is no longer government controlled.

standles
12-08-2015, 12:46 PM
I have finally gotten to the point when I order something that if shipping type is not specified I will call the company. If they say they only ship USPS even after I offer to pay the difference for FEDEX or UPS I buy elsewhere. I will not be forced to use USPS for shipping any longer. They have delayed and screwed up my stuff to many times.

Tackleberry41
12-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Well as long as congress has any direct or indirect input on the post office, its run by the govt.

jcwit
12-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Well as long as congress has any direct or indirect input on the post office, its run by the govt.

That is the very reason the Post Office is bankrupt. Congress is forcing them to pay a huge amount of funds to finance their retirement, I think.

What you say is similar to saying every retail business is being run by the government because they are forced to collect sales tax.

Geezer in NH
12-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Not for nothing but for those who cannot get deliveries or other services grow a set. Report the violation of service to the Post Master General.

It is a Felony to interrupt or delay the mail. The postal inspection service takes it seriously as it should.

Go to a different Post office and ask for the forms to make a complaint. Send it from there.

When an employee will not perform the duties they are hired for especially as a public servant take no mercy on them. Complaining locally will not work but doing as stated WILL.

BTDT as an FFL and had local post/master/idiots get suspended, for violations and then retrained in their jobs again. 2 retired and 1 became very helpful.

Put up with their problems it is your fault.

dragon813gt
12-08-2015, 11:58 PM
They delivered packages to me this past Sunday :) Placed an order w/ NOE last Monday and I had it on Wednesday. As long as I'm not shipping the item, I have great service at the moment.

Tackleberry41
12-09-2015, 06:05 PM
USPS is on the ball. My 2 day priority package is finally tracking again. It only spent 8 days at a sorting facility. But I guess they did find it, so something.