PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the mail lately?

Leadmelter
11-21-2015, 02:04 AM
I ordered a mold from NOE and for a 2 day ship it took 5 days.
I ordered from Midway and it shipped Monday and is still not here.
Leadmelter
MI

NavyVet1959
11-21-2015, 02:34 AM
Hell, I'm happy if things that are *mailed* to me even eventually *get* here. I'm pretty sure that the postal worker just tosses everything *except* the junk mail for my mailbox. :(

chrisstophere
11-21-2015, 09:59 AM
You guys aren't kidding. The mail is **** in my neck of the woods as well. I've thought about just getting a PO box at my local post office just so the lazy delivery lady doesn't even have to touch my stuff.

Tackleberry41
11-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Its the post office. Hard to find a lazier bunch of people. When I was in KY I had to file several complaints just to get my mail. I was at the very end of the route, the guy just did not want to drive any further down that road. So I would go several days, then get a big pile, or it would end up in someone elses mailbox. I would wonder where my netflix were, oh hey apparently I watched it and sent it back.

Where I am now, get my mail at least, but anytime I get a box from midway with their UPS-USPS, well add 2 days to the trip. UPS can get that box 1000 miles in 2 days, it takes the local post office 2 more days for the last 25 miles.

mongoose33
11-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Must be Karma or something. :) You certainly can't blame it on winter weather.

I haven't had any trouble with it lately. In fact, I've received some things through USPS faster than I might have otherwise expected.

Beagle333
11-21-2015, 10:19 AM
The tracking isn't much better. My purchase will show no movement for 3 days or so, then suddenly there will be 4 or 5 centers that it passed through reported and it will seemingly hang up again in some sorting facility somewhere that wasn't even anywhere between here and where it was purchased, and then just about the time I'm really wondering why it has sat there for another 4 days, it'll pop up much more tracking information and tracking history and say "out for delivery"..... or sometimes even "delivered", when just 10 minutes before, it was still reported as sitting in a sorting facility halfway across the nation.

GRUMPA
11-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Mail always will be slower this time of year till the beginning of next year. It's the shear volume increase that slows things down for the most part. Right now I'm filing for a lost package, how anyone can loose a package is beyond me.

chrisstophere
11-21-2015, 10:25 AM
My issue seems to be specifically with my mail carrier. My entire neighborhood has issues with her. We've complained and chumps using the official routes but she still delivers here.

myg30
11-21-2015, 10:39 AM
A good close friend of mine works for the postal service on Long Island, NY., and every week he rattles on about how screwed up they are. They hire part timers to keep full timers from over time, have part timers deliver SUNDAY Amazon boxes. Way more Chiefs than Indians and new scanners that track them all day and they get questioned about WHY they were parked so long on a street.
He claims junk mail is way down since Internet, low volume on first class mail and yes now the holiday cards will pile up and or be torn into and gift cards missing, cash gone etc...
Seems they spend so much money on trying to figure out how to save a nickle !

My postmen here in Tennessee says they are short handed and can't find people to work. If a guy is out sick they split up that route between other workers and delivers are later than normal.

Bottom line, Anything the government has a hand in is so messed up !!!

Mike

twc1964
11-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Heck, i ordered a box of thirty cal hornady gas checks from brownells and they shipped it ups. Well after a week and a half, it was declared lost. Another was sent to our p.o box about 6 days ago. Still not here. This happens every time i order gun related items. My wife orders stuff all the time and gets it exactly in the time they told her. Hmmmmm. Just my 2 cents

dragon813gt
11-21-2015, 02:10 PM
I haven't had any issues lately. Ordered some expanders from NOE last Sunday and had them on Tuesday. I like the Sunday Amazon delivery. Means when I order something Friday morning I have it on Sunday. They made the deal so I'm just using the service.

I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread. Now that I mentioned everything is fine something will go wrong.

gpidaho
11-21-2015, 02:35 PM
I've had great service from the USPS this last year. I often order things out of Pa., Ga., Fl. etc. and have them in hand here in Idaho within 2 1/2 days. A couple years ago one 2day priority package did take 29 days to get to a friends house in Iowa but it got there and was the exception rather than to rule. The postal workers that deliver my mail are friendly and helpful even when I get the packages containing lead. Now the ones at the counter at the P,O, are a different lot, always under staffed and very slow. I'm going to stop buying items here at the Boolits site if it requires a USPS money order, just don't feel like waiting in line for an hour when funds can be sent so easily from my computer with PayPal. Like their politics or not PayPal is WAY handy. Gp

catskinner
11-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Post office is hiring part time temporary workers. Every time I go in the local p.o. there is somebody new. Older experienced employees are retiring and being replaced by temporary people.

NavyVet1959
11-21-2015, 04:05 PM
I have a cousin that retired from the post office. From my impression of her, I suspect that if it hadn't been for the post office, she would have ended up working at Wendy's or some other minimum wage job for those with "mental challenges". She's not that bright, but not mentally retarded and let's just say that most of her life choices had Jerry Springer Show potential.

alamogunr
11-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Usually, my experience with the post office is favorable. I receive mailings of items bought here in about 2 days. To be honest, the last two purchases I made here actually came in 2 days.

I shipped a gun Fedex to Wyoming. According to tracking it got there in 2 days. I had chosen the 3 business day option. Except for the security of air shipment, a flat rate box might have gotten there just as fast for roughly $25 less.

While I don't approve of it, the attitude of the USPS employee may mirror the attitude(expect the worst) of the individual mailing the package. But then again, our little post office has good, long term employees that I have known for a long time.

44man
11-22-2015, 09:35 AM
I worked a lot of mail when working for the airline and never seen guys work so hard. All has changed now.
They even closed our post office in Martinsburg so all mail has to go to and from Baltimore. Even a letter going down the road. Have to watch paying bills for late charges.

bedbugbilly
11-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Priority Mail used to be 2 day delivery . . . not anymore . . . at least in the experiences I've had in the last year. Like has been said . . . what do you expect for a government run organization? But I'm sure that it will all change after the next election . . . yea, right! Ever notice how whoever is in power in Washington always talks about "making jobs" and promoting business . . . yet there is not one government agency that operates in the black? But that's alright . .. the government has their own "built in bailout" . . . it's called the "taxpayer".

Granted, there are many dedicated and hardworking people in the Postal Service but they have to work with a higher number of people who are just there for a check and they have to go by all the "rules and regulations" that anyone with common sense could change and make the operation more efficient.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-22-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm reasonably sure the problem is the obuma administration is sucking up every dime the Postal Service takes in and spending it elsewhere, thereby ruining a fairly good service due to lack of funding.

Blackwater
11-22-2015, 02:33 PM
My local mail service is almost pleasantly mediocre. They have rare instances of good service, and some of the other kind as well. For a while, once had a postman who read my American Rifleman magazines before putting them in my box. I thought it was funny, but couldn't bring myself to begrude him a little exposure to the info in it. People are gonna' be people, and locally, I think our postmaster just simply doesn't want any superiors investigating or present any more than is absolutely necessary and required. This seems to be displayed by how the folks at the PO can't seem to make a decision, and how slow but surely things get done there. Sometimes, mediocrity can actually be a GOOD thing these days!

birddog
11-22-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm reasonably sure the problem is the obuma administration is sucking up every dime the Postal Service takes in and spending it elsewhere, thereby ruining a fairly good service due to lack of funding.
This is the case with any government agency, the reason we don't need them running anymore orginizations for us!!!
Charlie

blikseme300
11-22-2015, 03:09 PM
The tracking isn't much better. My purchase will show no movement for 3 days or so, then suddenly there will be 4 or 5 centers that it passed through reported and it will seemingly hang up again in some sorting facility somewhere that wasn't even anywhere between here and where it was purchased, and then just about the time I'm really wondering why it has sat there for another 4 days, it'll pop up much more tracking information and tracking history and say "out for delivery"..... or sometimes even "delivered", when just 10 minutes before, it was still reported as sitting in a sorting facility halfway across the nation.

The persons that did the Obamacare website previously did the USPS system. Their tracking is worthless.

The mail delivery contractors used in my area can't read numbers either as over the past few years I got to know the neighbors quite well as we would exchange mail too often. We are lucky in that at least it ended up in the correct sub-division.

AKbushman49
11-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky. Been here for over 30 yrs mail has always been slow, Priority 2 day is usually 4-5 day, from Midway about a week. But that's normal for us in the last Frontier.
bushman

Seeker
11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
USPS bites. 3 Day Priority takes 6 days. Why don't they call it 6 day priority? Got something coming 1st Class? They love that...it may sit some wheres for a week and a half. Tracking updates? Forget about it until it's shoved in your mail box. If my mail lady is running late, she only stops at every other mailbox just to save time. We've had her blow right by even if the flag is up. How come we never get asked to do a survey about how good our mail delivery is?

rodsvet
11-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Gee, I just returned a purchase from California to New York. I sent it small flat rate on Thursday late afternoon and it was there Saturday afternoon. That said, my personal mailman is a dick! Rod

Petro58
11-22-2015, 05:31 PM
To many Injuns (Sarcasm, No Racist Insult meant to the Politically Correct Crowd) on the Pony Express Route. Time of year Holiday here and there or weather, I've personally not experienced any delays down south and I've had a few things from California and several things from Midway lately.