PDA

View Full Version : Head Shot Buck

pete501
11-20-2015, 06:03 PM
This is the third time I was able to get out hunting this season with my .50 Hawken using 80gr of goex topped with a lubed mini ball. Well I guess third time is a charm.

It was foggy in the hills and all I had seen were a couple of doe heading in the opposite direction. I was about disgusted with the conditions and was headed back and almost to the truck when in the mist looked like a figure in the trail. It was a buck with no regard for me, he just kept walking slowly away. I fast walked quietly to close the distance to about 60 yards and gave the buck a kissing sound. At the time the buck had presented me with the old "Texas Heart Shot". I really didn't want to gut shoot and risk a painful death but with the kissing sound he stopped and presented a quartering away shot I figured I would aim for somewhere behind the shoulder. With a boom and a cloud of smoke the deer laid where had been standing. What the heck, why didn't he run. Then I saw the wound. Head shot.

an unrelated note: It was the first time I had caught one of these Ringtail cat. Too cute, I had to let him go.

nagantguy
11-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Well it might not be the spot you aimed for but it looks Like he's down for the count. Nice buck. Where did you catch the ring tail?

pete501
11-20-2015, 06:39 PM
The ringtail was here in Southern Oregon. They are considered fur bearers but I don't have the fur bearers license. I trap mostly for them "chicken eaters"; skunks, foxes, possums and raccoons. I also caught our ***** cat for the second time last night. My father always gave the captured cats a free cold shower with the garden hose to insure a lesson learned and no repeat customers. It always worked.

M-Tecs
11-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Looks like a wooden arrow. Do you know if it was a field point or a broadhead? Good job putting it out of its misery. I see you tagged it. Could you tell if it had a fever? Some years ago I shot a very nice buck but when I gutted it it seems warmer than normal and the fat was yellowish not the normal white. When I skun it all the fat was yellowish. It had a wound in the hindquater from a fight with another buck.

pete501
11-20-2015, 06:59 PM
The arrow is a welding rod showing where the mini ball entered.
The buck was like most the bucks I have taken. Usually no more than 2-3 years old and always very little fat. It is a Black Tail and don't get huge like mule deer and white tail. I did take a 4 by 4 a few years ago that scored 140 according to the taxidermist. He said it was a once in a lifetime buck and I should mount it. I was just there to sell the cape. Money in better than money out for something that just hangs on the wall collecting dust.

M-Tecs
11-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks I totally misread that!!!!! Nice buck

Win94ae
11-21-2015, 02:39 AM
Nice buck!

Cool little animal too!

crossxsticks
11-21-2015, 08:40 PM
The ringtail was here in Southern Oregon. They are considered fur bearers but I don't have the fur bearers license. I trap mostly for them "chicken eaters"; skunks, foxes, possums and raccoons. I also caught our ***** cat for the second time last night. My father always gave the captured cats a free cold shower with the garden hose to insure a lesson learned and no repeat customers. It always worked.

you may not want but if i catch a house cat in cage trap I give him a dang good shaken (hard) before i dump him out then you wont be bothered catching him again it improves there memory.

Yodogsandman
11-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Nice! No wasted meat there!

This reminds me that I once head shot a spiker that was so close, I had trouble seeing what I was looking at through the 2 1/2 power scope on a H&R 58 cal. As he walked further away, I finally found his shoulder and fired. I hadn't realized that the angle away was much sharper, now. I hit the shoulder, it went out at the neck and into the back of the head and the 505 gr minie ball exited between the eyes. Almost a Texas head shot!

Hellgate
11-23-2015, 12:48 AM
I've not recovered a .58 minie ball from two deer and an elk. The big slugs sail right on through and ruin very little meat.