PDA

View Full Version : Old Lube

**oneshot**
04-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I bought a lyman lubrisizer from a freind's friend. It has old lube in it. It smells like and feels like some kind of heavy weight automotive grease. The kind you get on your hands and can't get rid of the smell.
How do I get it out?

Thanks in advance
Tom

garandsrus
04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Tom,

Melting it out with a heat gun/hair dryer is probably the best way to start...

Some folks have put the sizer in the oven at a low temp also with something underneath it to catch the lube that drips out.

John

**oneshot**
04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, talk about over thinking the situation. I looked in the sizer and thought about diggin it out with a spooon and stick, but figured there had to be a better way. All I had to do was think simple, LUBE MELTS.
Thanks for jarring my brain back to earth.

montana_charlie
04-13-2008, 01:35 PM
And, after you get it out of the lubrisizer, you can use it to patch your driveway...
CM

Ken
04-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Are you sure you cant' just use it up lubing bullets?

**oneshot**
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Cant see using it, it's coming out in multiple colors and various hardness. Some of it is soft like fresh grease and some of it is hard like beeswax. Besides I have no idea what it is, if I got great results with it I wouldn't know what to replace it with.

HeavyMetal
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
sounds like it's been stashed away for quite awhile and, having been both hot and cold, the lube in it has seperated.

Starting fresh just makes sense! Steam, heat gun, low temp oven, all of these ideas and more will get the old stuff out.